Topic: How many honestly stay under $500?

I'm curious how many of you are actually able to get a car together that runs for a reasonable percentage of the weekend for only $500.

I've been to a few Lemons races in various capacities in the past and have had an absolute blast every time.  The cars I've been associated with have never done very well, but I'm definitely coming back for more in the future.  The one thing I do know is that even though the cars I've worked on have been absolute POSs that never had a chance in hell to win, we definitely spent more than $500 to get them up and running.  We weren't trying to sneak through anything that improved the performance, but just fixing all the broken stuff got expensive by Lemons standards.

Let's just say hypothetically that you find a decent car that actually runs for $300.  That seems great, but after a few trips to autozone for a couple replacement hoses and belts, maybe some new spark plugs and all the other little things that you never think of before you start, it's very likely that you've spent another $100 just to get the engine to a point where it has a fighting chance of staying on the track for more than 20 laps.  So now lets say in the process of testing the car out your fuel pump goes out or your alternator or any number of other components that can fail in a car with 250,000 mi on it that the previous owner only thought was worth $300.  In my experience it's really easy to blow through $500 without doing anything to improve the performance of the car at all.

Don't get me wrong, diagnosing and finding a cheap solution to the hundreds of problems you encounter while trying to get a car ready is one of the reasons why Lemons is so fun.  I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who's not smart enough to fix all these problems without "cheating."

Also, I'm interested to know people's thoughts on the ethics of sneaking things through.  The BS inspection is obviously set up to be fun.  Costumes abound and bribing is encouraged.  That being said, do you think part of the Lemons competition is being good at cheating?  Or are the guys who try to sneak things through being unethical?

I'll admit that I've thought many times about buying a $1000 car that if the cosmetics were a little worse would probably be worth ~$500.  Then we could back a truck into the rear quarter panel and buff the paint with fine grit sand paper.  Take some pictures of it with "$399" shoe polished on the windshield in a bad part of town and forge a bill of sale.  I didn't do that, but would you consider that unethical, or is it just part of the game that is Lemons?

Personally I kind of lean towards it being part of the game.  I like the fact that the safety inspection is very serious and very thorough, but the BS inspection is about just that, BSing your way through.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Re: How many honestly stay under $500?

We aren't completely done with ours but we are way under budget for the things you have to count.  It helps getting a car that had a sound engine and an exhaust system that was rusted the hell out of which made it pretty damn cheap.  Add to that getting any part that costs over $25 new at the Pick and Pull pretty easily and the $500 limit hasn't really been an issue.  We may even have room in the budget for a little aftermarket upgrade.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

3 (edited by RobL 2010-06-11 02:03 PM)

Well, you shouldn't be looking at <$500 cars.  You need to be looking at ~$1000 cars with things that can be sold off them.  I bought an engine for $200 and car for $300 (blown engine - was a kids project) and then got all the kids extra parts that I was able to sell.  We made it to BS with ~$4000 in the car (includes safety) and only $280 on paper.  Everything that you can sell - bling wheels, seats, interior, grill, EGR system, bling exhaust, headlights, tail lights, spare tire, EVERYTHING goes on ebay and on forum 4sale threads. 

Another car of ours - $500 Miata with a hardtop.  Hardtop sold for $1000.  Just the hardtop. 

You also need to know how to troll junkyards for parts.  My toyota is only about 90% Japaneese anymore with the addition of US substitute parts - one wire alternators from old GM cars are great and cheap ($10 if you know where to look).  Then you just need to fab a bracket.  Fuel pumps - same deal, you need to know where to look and then fab up something to make it fit. 

Take it from the guys who put a '02 Pontiac engine into an '84 Citation.  Almost anything can be done if you know where to look and are willing to make educated guesses.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I've found that the judges typically won't hold something small like a new belt or set of spark plugs against you. For our previous car we had to replace the radiator because the last owner had smashed into a deer and destroyed the passenger side of the front clip, we got through inspection without a problem.

It's when they pop the hood and see a shiny new intake or strut tower brace is when you start racking up penalty laps in a big big hurry.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

@PunisherBass, I think that's kind of what I'm getting at.  Technically according to the letter of the law if a new radiator puts you over $500 you should incur penalty laps.  I know that's not how it ends up working, and I'm glad that's the case, but I'm just curious to know how many people find themselves in the boat of spending more than $500 because some vital component needs to be replaced.

Oh, and one more thing - you always have to be on the look put for deals.  always.  I watch my local CL everyday.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

@RobL, that's an interesting strategy that I'd never really thought of.  The way rule 4.7 is worded it almost sounds like using part sales offsets is discouraged, but reading it again it seems legal.  Although are you allowed to offset upgrades with part sales?  i.e. If I buy a $500 car and can sell the interior bits for $700, does that mean I have $700 to spend on engine and suspension upgrades or only $500 because the offset is capped at the purchase price?

Also, could I sell the fuel tank, stock brakes, tires, steering wheel, and instrumentation panel, replace them all with upgraded aftermarket parts that fall under the safety/driver comfort exemption and still use the proceeds from the sales to offset other non-exempt purchases?

I think I do need to get better about leveraging junk yards, that would probably help a lot.

I'm sure most teams wind up going over the $500 cap at one time or another because some problem came up. The key is not admitting that you did any of it, like getting pulled over by a cop and telling him right off the bat that you have a kilo of cocaine under the passenger seat.

PleadingThe5th wrote:

@PunisherBass, I think that's kind of what I'm getting at.  Technically according to the letter of the law if a new radiator puts you over $500 you should incur penalty laps.  I know that's not how it ends up working, and I'm glad that's the case, but I'm just curious to know how many people find themselves in the boat of spending more than $500 because some vital component needs to be replaced.

Well, the radiator would have been a different story if it had been a car that would have been in a position to win on laps.  You had a LeSabre.  If that had been a miata, E30, Civic, etc. they might have looked at it differently.  Just like the Wartburg (ok, it's immune...) or the LeCar could grossly overspend and they wouldn't get a second glance from the judges.

Your parts sales CANNOT exceed what you paid for the car. Well, they can, and you can use that extra cash to make the safety stuff cheaper, or buy booze, or whatever, but it can't go into the go-fast budget.

Also, junkyards. Seriously.

There are VAST numbers of running $500 cars on the market - it's trying to come up with something interesting that makes it hard.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

PleadingThe5th wrote:

@RobL, that's an interesting strategy that I'd never really thought of.  The way rule 4.7 is worded it almost sounds like using part sales offsets is discouraged, but reading it again it seems legal.  Although are you allowed to offset upgrades with part sales?  i.e. If I buy a $500 car and can sell the interior bits for $700, does that mean I have $700 to spend on engine and suspension upgrades or only $500 because the offset is capped at the purchase price?

Also, could I sell the fuel tank, stock brakes, tires, steering wheel, and instrumentation panel, replace them all with upgraded aftermarket parts that fall under the safety/driver comfort exemption and still use the proceeds from the sales to offset other non-exempt purchases?

I think I do need to get better about leveraging junk yards, that would probably help a lot.

If the purchase price was $500 and you sold $700 - you would have $700 to work with.  For the rest of that...  YMMV with the judges.  Junkyards are the key to this deal.  Don't go to autozone for axles $100/ea. when junkyards have them for $10.  Sensors, thermostats, upgraded brakes, what have you...  Sometimes (and good luck convincing the judges of this), you actually find coilovers and other upgraded suspension parts there too.

RobL wrote:
PleadingThe5th wrote:

Well, the radiator would have been a different story if it had been a car that would have been in a position to win on laps.  You had a LeSabre.  If that had been a miata, E30, Civic, etc. they might have looked at it differently.  Just like the Wartburg (ok, it's immune...) or the LeCar could grossly overspend and they wouldn't get a second glance from the judges.

Well I admit BS inspection took all of 30 seconds consisting of mostly uncontrollable laughing before they said "A Buick!? Get the fuck out of here". They never even popped the hood.

I know things are going to be a different story with the GTP, since we've already been accused of cheating, but our paperwork is in order and we're ready to prove the legitimacy of the car to the judges. We also have a good theme to go along with it.

13 (edited by RobL 2010-06-11 02:37 PM)

PunisherBass wrote:

I know things are going to be a different story with the GTP,

BOOM!

Of course the key to sneaking parts in is also the junkyard.  Will the judges really know if that radiator was on the car when you bought it or you pulled it from another car from the junkyard.  Same with a lot of other parts like that.  Also check for deals at your junkyard.  Got shocks while they were on sale at the Pick n Pull, and in my area the pick n pull has half price Wednesday.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

15 (edited by Spank 2010-06-11 03:00 PM)

You're supposed to change the spark plugs, wires, hoses and belts?!

The sChitroen was a legitimate car under $500 and I changed none of those. Well, I did change the oil but only after the desperate urgings of my team mates. Still, we actually came in well under the $500 limit and I didn't sell a thing off.

The mini was a little tougher but we struck some dumb luck. It cost us $500 to get the rolling shell with a bunch of extra new parts included ,like a new rear subframe and a new fiberglass flip front and a nice rear window. We sold those off and replaced the rear subframe with a rusty take-off discard (you should swing by and look at it underneath if you get a chance-- amazing it's still together). We then sourced a complete front cut from a guy in Otay who had j-u-s-t brought in a container load of junkyard minis from the UK. He wanted $400 for a whole car and we wanted just the front cut, so he whipped out a sawzall right there and cut it off for us for $250. That plus we actually had started with an Austin America, so we had a head from that and got a SU carb from an old volvo.

Since then I've found a bunch of minis for Lemons money, but have sold many of them off to pay entry fees for upcoming races.

In CA we are particularly lucky because cars that fail smog are often sold for cheap. A team mate just picked up an 80 spitfire that came with with a completely rebuilt engine/transmission, an extra fiberglass front end, NOS glass and window rubber, and all for $120.

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/2998344/IMAG0001_detail.jpg

Be aware that it works the other way, too. I picked up a cheater car for ridiculously cheap ($1300) and the leather seats alone (with airbags in them) would bring the car below Lemons money. But it's been made pretty clear to me that the car would not be very welcome, no matter how legitimate it is cost-wise.

CL can be a home run for everything even the car.

Our Fox I bought 2 years before Lemons and it was my winter daily driver, I paid $300 for it.  Completely straight body, vaguely cleanish interior, no power anything.  When it became our Lemons car aside from the cheap stereo (which I obviously removed) and a few small odds and ends it was the same $300 bag of bolts I bought 2 years before, albeit with a crack in the windshield and an exhaust that was falling off from me running over a curb (on purpose). 

Whats funny is we stuck HARD to that $500 limit and I showed up with a folder of receipts and an excel spreadsheet.  They had one look at the checkerboard roof and the fact it was a Fox, laughed and said get going!  That said as Rob mentioned if you have an E30, Miata, cars like that, it ain't so easy. 

Its not the first $500 car I had that lasted me a while, I had a 91 Sunbird I got for $500 which would have been a great Lemons car (2.8 V6 5 speed) ran for a year, lost it in a flood.  Had a $500 86 Camaro for 2 years then my sister drove for 2 years I lovingly referred to as "Craparo", a $500 K5 Blazer with the coldest AC you ever felt (until it caught fire in the street... ok bad example),  and a $500 86 Regal Limited that i wish i still had because it was a comfortable kickass car that served me and a friend I sold it to for many years.  All these cars I barely put any money into, just enough for them to pass NY inspection mostly... and I had a guy who made sure they passed unless it was grossly unsafe.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Selling stuff off the car works.  I (we) picked-up a decent car last year and it needed work cuzz it was in an accident.  Mostly cosmetic (except radiator), but when I put an ad in Craigslist "parting" out interior stuff and lights and a catalytic converter, etc., etc. I couldn't believe all the calls and all the shit we sold off the car, that we would need to take off anyway.  I would like to think most competitors hold to the $500 cap.  Also you would be suprise what you can pick up at salvage yards as others said, between selling crap off the car and scavanging around junkyards you can build a decent Lemons car at the $500 rule

We've got $40x tied up.

We bought Brat for $50 because it was complete trash.

We bought a $200 running driving GXL Rx7 from some wierdo in Bryan, TX the day it popped up on CL.

We bought a $100 81 Rx7 that ran if you poured gas in the carb.

We then sold a majority of the parts off the Rx7's, and spent maybe $50 on some rod-ends and fasteners to convert the brat to rwd.

Finding good deals helps a lot, patience helps too when looking for the perfect deal.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Our Jaguar is probably around $400 right now. We bought it for $325 and couldn't sell anything off it in three months of trying. The price doesn't include the $280 front end rebuild kit - in my opinion it's safety when the front wheels have 1/4" of play in every direction, the $600 in brake parts, the $380 in tires, $750 in rollcage expenses (so far), etc. We did consider buying a new radiator, but the radiator shop pressurized it to 25 psi and it held. That would have put us in cheating territory, but after spending $3000 on the car, it's awfully hard to not do it.

I agree with selling parts off the car.  We've been incredibly lucky in that a lot of local Triumph enthusiasts know what we're doing and are now coming to us for used TR6 parts that aren't needed for a race car.  It's helped the budget a lot.  Of course...we need the help.  No matter what we do, Lacey won't be quick.

Jamie Palmer  tr6driver@yahoo.com
Austin Powerless Racing  '75 Austin Marina, 44th/IOE Summit Point '13, 35th/1st Class C CMP Fall '13, 23rd/3rd Class C CMP Spring '14, 83rd/14th Class C CMP Fall '14 (blown engine/swapped mid-race to finish), 3rd Class C CMP Spring '15, 2nd Class C CMP Fall '15
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Austin-Po … 3187341573

There also is the residual value rule.  So after you do a race you can spend some cash on the car to Fix it up..  For those cars that have done 3 or 4 races they may be $800 cars since they have been able to replace parts that went bad during a race.

EuroTrash E30 - Lemons South 08 (cooling probs) 24th /CMP  Spring 09 (fuel tank damage) one day on track 69th /Lemons South 09 (Hit by an Escort) 27th
MSR Tx, 10 2oth, no issues other than rain. /CHump Homestead Miami 10- 2nd place.

bam2002 wrote:

There also is the residual value rule.  So after you do a race you can spend some cash on the car to Fix it up..  For those cars that have done 3 or 4 races they may be $800 cars since they have been able to replace parts that went bad during a race.

Or over $1000 if you've been valued $0 for a couple of races.

23 (edited by SuperDave 2010-06-11 10:41 PM)

Somebody, anybody, show me a E-bay sold auction for parts off of their Lemons car.  I'll believe some triumph parts could be sold.  For the most part, in my opinion, if you have sellable parts off of the car, you started with a car that is not in the spirit of the event.

At Thunderhill I saw lots of cars that I thought were out of spirit, including:
944 turbo with 5 penalty laps (I believe it blew up, but still)
VW rabbit with new race motor, fresh built trans, new suspention... no laps, etc.

Do I really care, NO, we had a great time and lots of cars on the track ment that there was cars that were close enough to us that they were great to dice with.  The race went well and flagging was great.  We had an awesome time.

We bought our car (crashed hard at Lemons)for $50 with cage and brakes that we used for the next 2 races
Motor from a salvage car bought for $50-$100 depending on race (been through a few)
Trans (had laying around in our wrecking yard) To fit the smaller motor we put in.
Stock used front strut assenblies (had laying around).
2 coil over adapters $30 (cut to fit F & R) (necessary due to crash damage)
Springs (yea had those too)
Exhaust still has both stock mufflers in place
Radiator and fan donated by bodyshop as it has broken mounts. (going to throw away)
Some money was spent on fluids (I don't know how much)
Had to change master cyl, ended up changing booster as well so we could use used components we had.
Upgraded front brakes to better stock (vented front rotors from solid rotors), still rear drum.
Some additional money has been spent on seat, brake pads and other safety items.
Even with a high value on the components we had, we still are under $500

SuperDave wrote:

Somebody, anybody, show me a E-bay sold auction for parts off of their Lemons car.  I'll believe some triumph parts could be sold.  For the most part, in my opinion, if you have sellable parts off of the car, you started with a car that is not in the spirit of the event.

At Thunderhill I saw lots of cars that I thought were out of spirit, including our car (crashed hard at Lemons)for $50 with cage and brakes that we used for the next 2 races

... from a salvage car bought for $50-$100 depending on race (been through a few)
...(had laying around in our wrecking yard) To fit ... we put in.
...(had laying around).
...(necessary due to crash damage)
...(yea had those too)
...donated by bodyshop as it has broken mounts. (going to throw away)
Some money was spent on ... (I don't know how much)
Had to change ... ended up changing ... as well so we could use used components we had.
Upgraded ... to better stock ... still ....
Some additional money has been spent on ....
Even with a high value on the components we had, we still are under $500

WOW, there's a great example of phrases not to say at BS inspection.
And just goes to show that everyone has their own interpretation of what's OK and what's not and it's up to the judges to suss it all out.

25 (edited by TheHeckler 2010-06-12 08:57 AM)

On the Dauphine I am well under 500 after the parts that have been sold off the 2 donor cars.

The Sable, a $400 auction car, has sold around $600 worth of parts and I still haven't sent the car to the crusher for the last ~$120.

The dauphine itself which cost $100 has generated nearly $500 in sold parts, mostly on ebay and CL.  You just have to list every possibly usable part and keep relisting until someone buys it.

I have $500 in metal I purchased, including the tubing for 2 cars cages.  Excluding cage and firewalls / safety items I have $120 roughly in steel in the car.  Cheap ebay heim joints I have another ~120.  Tractor supply fenders and bolts and other miscellany for about $150 and hose / water lines and misc from home despot for another $75.

Safety stuff, belts, padding, insulation, battery box, steering wheel, mirrors, cage, brakes, wheels, tires etc are off budget items.

Total that up and I get $465 and that's without selling the cars below 0.  Including the actual selloffs below cost and I get another $720 to play with.

Notice that I bought a boring car with a good motor and a very [strike]cool[/strike] weird car for the body and added only what was absolutely needed.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang