Re: How many honestly stay under $500?

Jer wrote:

We don't run for the 1500.  we run for the fame, glory, girls, and sense of accomplishment.

Fixed that for you.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
Jer wrote:

We don't run for the 1500.  we run for the fame, glory, girls, and sense of accomplishment.

Fixed that for you.

+1,000,000,000

Winning Money is nice, I like being rewarded for doing well, but i keep coming back because this is, and hopefully will always be, the cheapest/best way to blow a weekend/wad of money. I Live for the competition/thrill of the race itself. I go out there wanting to do my best, not just lap times or position, but strategy, tactics, and really, the ONLY way to win at Lemons, in my Mind, is He who comes home with the most new friends/stories from the weekend. If I had won the lotto I'd probably do every race, because then I could pay for a few more of you nutjobs to come with me.

PS-can we go back to sacks of money? I wanna be able to swim in the coins like Scrooge McDuck. smile

The $500 is there to keep the cheaters from putting on the cheaty bits, that's all.

Our last two submissions have been both over $500 (but not much!), but close to 50% of the "value" of the car was theme related items.

Why do we get through with 0 penalty laps? 
#1 - We won't win on our driving talent (and the judges know it).
#2 - Our themes are so aerodynamically challenged that it makes it almost impossible for us to turn fast laps.
#3 - We embrace the theme and go all out during BS.

Because we don't show up to win the race, we spend a little extra money on the parts that will keep the car on the road (plugs, fluid replacement, hoses, etc) because we love being a part of the show. 

And if we eventually get hit with a few BS laps, that's fine.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Serj wrote:

I wanna be able to swim in the coins like Scrooge McDuck. smile

Nice, Good image that!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Scud.Ig wrote:

Eclat/Elite are cheap when you can find them

True, but finding just the right one has eluded me so far....I'll practice Lotus 907s on a Jensen Healey instead.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Look it is crap can racing.  If you are racing to win 1500 bucks stop it.  How about we view it for what it is, just fun racing with good people.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

I completely stayed under $500 with the Gremlin.  Bought it for $600, sold $400 in interior parts and glass the first race and ended up selling $250 more after the race.  That's the best argument for buying an old/weird/rare car, the parts on it are old/weird/rare and hard to find, so someone, somewhere will be looking.  Ebay was perfect for these parts.  Ended up selling cracked tail lights for $80 bucks!

2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix

We sold 495 bucks off our caddy.  I love craigslist.

Seth

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

That reminds me, I tried to sell the parts off the Fox... they wouldn't sell... then i offered them for FREE, and still no takers... So we didn't have that advantage at all

To the dumpster they went!

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

RogueLeader wrote:

IMO racers want to race, and if you took away the monetary prize there is no way guys would not still show up with well sorted cars pushing harder and harder for the win.  And if they spent a lot of time/money to set the car up they will push just as hard.  Its just not about the money.   The only thing I could see is if they took the money out for the race win but kept it in for IOE/ugliest car/etc, you might see the fast guys put a little more effort into making their car look good(bad), but in the end they would probably never get to the level to win the cash.

truer words have never been spoken. but at the same time, the whole reason a lot of the SCCA guys are coming to Lemons is because they don't have to spend $500, $1000, or more to run up front and have good battles. that's why spec classes are so popular at the club racing level, because it keeps the costs down.
the great part about Lemons is the judges are there to make sure nobody overspends to gain a competitive advantage. of course you want to prep your car and make sure it's fit to race hard for two straight days, but it is an endurance race, not a sprint race. a trick suspension does you no good if you put a wheel off and do a barrel roll.
just my $.02

My first post! Bought a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII today for $300. It's beat up, but only has 115K on it. 280HP/285lb-ft DOHC V8, 4-wheel discs, IRS, 16" aluminum wheels, etc.

I think we can sell the cats, the airbags and a maybe some glass and get some more money back.

Runs like a top. I just hope people don't hate us. I'm hoping gutting will take it under 3500 lbs.

We'll be at MAM/Omaha in August.

brianremmers wrote:

but at the same time, the whole reason a lot of the SCCA guys are coming to Lemons is because they don't have to spend $500, $1000, or more to run up front and have good battles. that's why spec classes are so popular at the club racing level, because it keeps the costs down.

That describes our group to a T. Spec is boring, I can't afford to risk my nicer sports cars in real wheel-to-wheel (though I do track my Viper just to keep my adrenal glands safely drained), and besides the SCCA cost factor, SCCA is primarily a horde of fun-killing nitpicking rule Nazis.

I just wish I lived somewhere like Texas. Down here in the southeast, cars rot away the moment you turn your back.

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering

yeah, i'm northeast, so similar deal. the car i just picked up to start next year's car i had to cut the entire driver's side floor pan out of. i stepped in and fell through.

and you should see annual tech at the april NHMS. the last time we went there for our annual, they got out a ruler and chewed us out for having our numbers 1/8" too close together. and here i thought their primary function was to make sure the cars were safe...

Spec is boring

I think people who enjoy spec racing are a lot like people who to go to car shows to see all the Camaros with small-block chevys. Sorry to any spec racers that may offend, but I really like the wide variety of cars and the ingenuity/stupidity.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Spec is boring

I think people who enjoy spec racing are a lot like people who to go to car shows to see all the Camaros with small-block chevys. Sorry to any spec racers that may offend, but I really like the wide variety of cars and the ingenuity/stupidity.

Seconded.  The "holy crap check THAT shitcan out" reactions all weekend are fantastic.

SimplyKC wrote:

My first post! Bought a 1993 Lincoln Mark VIII today for $300. It's beat up, but only has 115K on it. 280HP/285lb-ft DOHC V8, 4-wheel discs, IRS, 16" aluminum wheels, etc.

I think we can sell the cats, the airbags and a maybe some glass and get some more money back.

Runs like a top. I just hope people don't hate us. I'm hoping gutting will take it under 3500 lbs.

You will have a blast.   

Either get good at driving sideways or do some suspension mods and get decent tires.

You will have engine cooling issues, find a big truck radiator and make sure it stays full of water.  Same for cooling the transmission.

If you need some advice, feel free to ask.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:
SimplyKC wrote:

You will have a blast.   

Either get good at driving sideways or do some suspension mods and get decent tires.

You will have engine cooling issues, find a big truck radiator and make sure it stays full of water.  Same for cooling the transmission.

If you need some advice, feel free to ask.

Thanks! I just sent you an email when I saw your postin the video thread! I appreciate the heads up on cooling.

We're running the stock Lincoln radiator in our '94 and have been for literally THOUSANDS of laps.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

EriktheAwful wrote:

Spec is boring

Lemons proves that ingenuity and stupidity are not flip sides of the same coin, they are just different points on the scale of innovation. I think that they are moving targets and a particular idea can go from ingenious to stupid and back to ingenious (several times even). The real trick is knowing when to stop or press on. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.