Topic: Cage, and i am sorry to ask

Ok our cage is almost done, the question i have is for the 2 rear bars coming off the main hoop. can i weld them to the bar that i have connecting to the strut tower. In other words i have a plate on each shock tower and then roll bar tubing connecting. can i run the 2 bars off the main hoop and jig notch it to the cross bar and weld that in? would that pass tech inspect.  also when they say close to 45. how close is close??

Re: Cage, and i am sorry to ask

from what I know, people don't get sweated too much about the angle. get as close is as reasonable. I recommend just running the backstays to body/frame. the cross-bar on the shock tower thing may be some nice reinforcement, but i seem to remember a certain canadian Z car that did the backstays directly to the crossbar and failed tech. get some plates and go straight to the shock towers.

thanks. great info. last bit. the doors bars. we need 2 on the pass. side and 2 on the drivers side. doing Nascar style. how high and how far apart?

Yeah, do it right and go to something solid. 

The rear stays are there to keep the main hoop upright.  So, although they would have a good hold on the crossbar, they would create a sheer force on the welds on the strut tower (assuming that the strut tower brace is welded on).

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

You only need 2 driver side bars.  You don't need anything on the passenger side.  (But throw a straight bar on there to make the cage more structural)

I made mine angled - 6" at the dash and about 10" at the b-pillar.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

wow, you guys are great, thanks for the help.

This for summit?

Yes it is. why are you going to be there??

9 (edited by RobL 2010-06-15 06:48 AM)

Sure am.  Red, white, and Blue MR2 - and a Toyota FX16.  The STS team goes to most of the races East of the Mississippi.

cool, this is our 1st event. any tips or advise on what to expect? and how hard is tech. its it like a F1 tech inspect or a look u got tubes and seats and a belt. go for it.
Also can you use a stock seat? or does it have to be a race seat?

us:

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/images/twolemons.jpg

a502sl0 wrote:

cool, this is our 1st event. any tips or advise on what to expect? and how hard is tech. its it like a F1 tech inspect or a look u got tubes and seats and a belt. go for it.
Also can you use a stock seat? or does it have to be a race seat?

They look at the car and make sure it's safe.  I've never seen a stock seat pass tech the first time - there is too much play in the reclining mechanism (you will end up welding that).  They look at the welds for 360*, belts to make sure they are routed correctly and secure, kill switch to make sure it works, and generally everything else on the tech sheet (which I'm trying to locate for you). 

We use race seats because they are safer and more comfortable in the long run.  YMMV.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/usercont … mV4pt2.pdf

Tech sheet.

We will be there as well #34 Subaru Impreza.

Rob I like the paint job on the MR2.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

OK thanks. Yea i cannot find a good rule book or anything. kinda hard to understand some stuff for your 1st time. like window nets and door glass. if we do not have a window net does the door glass have to be up. ext. and yes i did weld the stock seat. when are you going to be there??

There's also something that they've been checking for more recently, making sure that your harness clips have the cotter pins in place or have been wired shut.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

One other tip.  Print out the tech form.  Go over it and make sure you are confident it's right and fill it out.  Make sure you tape it to your windshield before tech.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

rpone605 wrote:

Rob I like the paint job on the MR2.

Thanks!  I'd like to take credit - but we bought the car like that (one of the reasons it was cheap). 

um...  OK - I have built 4 cars and replaced our harness a few times now.  I've never encountered a cotter pin.  pic?

like window nets and door glass. if we do not have a window net does the door glass have to be up.

This race allows you to keep the glass - but run with it down.  I'd take it out if you can, there is contact and you don't want broken glass in the car.  You do not need a window net. 

I'll be there sometime on Thursday evening.  You'll see the MR2 on an open trailer -or- I'll be around my teammates truck "Cannonfodder Racing."

You may want to read the rules through and make sure you understand them.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/pricesandrules.aspx

It should have all the answers in there for you as well.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/racecarconst.aspx#a45

Wow, I didn't know they did this write-up.

20 (edited by YesIFit 2010-06-15 07:57 AM)

RobL wrote:

um...  OK - I have built 4 cars and replaced our harness a few times now.  I've never encountered a cotter pin.  pic?

The latches for the lap and sub belts (where they hook onto eyebolts in the floor) usually have a small hole in them that, if wired shut or cotter pinned, will prevent them from opening and unhooking from the eyebolt. See pic below.

http://assets0.saferacer.com/images/P/107H_1_lg.gif

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

They redid quite a bit of the rules.  Probably to clarify alot of the questions seen on the forums.

YesIFit wrote:
RobL wrote:

The latches for the lap and sub belts (where they hook onto eyebolts in the floor) usually have a small hole in them that, if wired shut or cotter pinned, will prevent them from opening and unhooking from the eyebolt. See pic below.

Thanks!  I'll have to look.  I don't remeber seeing those.

WOW guys alot of great info and thanks for the support.

YesIFit wrote:
RobL wrote:

umm, never seen that. sure you have a correctly rated harness? all of the ones ive ever seen that's a solid, single piece, that has to have the bolt totally removed to take out.

Serj wrote:

umm, never seen that. sure you have a correctly rated harness? all of the ones ive ever seen that's a solid, single piece, that has to have the bolt totally removed to take out.

Schroth Profi II. It's FIA/SFI rated and comes standard with the snap-in brackets .. though you can order bolt-in brackets like you mentioned.

http://assets0.saferacer.com/images/P/SR20012_5_lg.jpg