Topic: Anyone coming from Houston to Ft Worth this weekend?

Want to curry favor with Judge Sajeev?  I have a pair of springs he wants and I'll be at TMS this weekend.  If some one from Houston will be there and could get them back down south he might be willing to look less critically at all those racy parts you claim to have found at the junkyard.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

Re: Anyone coming from Houston to Ft Worth this weekend?

Actually, I was planing on going to fort worth. I'll bring them back.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Wanna go check out chump?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

I might watch for a minute, but I'll have my kids, and they will loose interest fast. Besides, it is Lemons without the fun. I might watch a few minutes of Chump, but I won't buy the T-shirt.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Tasty.  The LTD LX (google it) thanks you, and I won't forget this when we meet at MSR.

Baron wrote:

I might watch for a minute, but I'll have my kids, and they will loose interest fast. Besides, it is Lemons without the fun. I might watch a few minutes of Chump, but I won't buy the T-shirt.

What part of racing is more fun in Lemons when compared to chumpcar... from the reports i'm hearing about this weekends chumpcar race, everyone there had a blast and in some aspects had more fun...

I know my teams throughly enjoyed the Chumpcar circut... Plus, it was at TMS... banked ovals real pit areas, real race track, REAL FUN!

I just don't understand this idea that chumpcar is less fun than Lemons...

justa4banger wrote:
Baron wrote:

What part of racing is more fun in Lemons when compared to chumpcar... from the reports i'm hearing about this weekends chumpcar race, everyone there had a blast and in some aspects had more fun...

I know my teams throughly enjoyed the Chumpcar circut... Plus, it was at TMS... banked ovals real pit areas, real race track, REAL FUN!

I just don't understand this idea that chumpcar is less fun than Lemons...

I'll play.

Judging from the number of spectators and car count, it seems a bit dull. We wanted to run because of the track, not the series. I will say this: From dealing with the promoters and seeing how they are handling the business side of things, this may be your last race with them at TMS.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Our driver's that wanted to do Chump flaked out after Eagle's Canyon so we did not go.

They did not have a huge car count.  According to forum reports, the nudists beat their SHO pretty good.  The Prancing Donkey's won with their Integra, not a huge shocker.

I heard second hand there was a lot of rubbing!

Both the Prancing Donkey's and Nudists have fast cars and drive pretty aggressively.  In 6 races we have had 3 incidents of contact.  One was with the Nudists SHO and one with the Prancing Donkeys.  Almost had another run in the the Nudists at ECR.

Chump is more tolerant of aggressive driving than Lemons.

I think John Condren's attempt to get a jump on Lemons by putting their schedule out earlier bit them in the ass.  Condren seems pretty arrogant and cocky too.

Their big level playing field and tough inspections resulted in only a few penalty laps for the Nudists but that is one hell of a built SHO.

The Prancing Donkey's aren't a bunch of choir boys either.  Rene built quite a car.  Their Integra is a good bit faster than most other Integras.  Of course our Z tends to be faster than others too so I'll just leave that alone.

Forum reports were a lot of cars blowing through brakes.  Really, on a banked super speedway, who'd a thunk it?

Baron, Did you guys actually race?  If so, please give us a good first hand report.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I watched for 2 hours. Brian (btp76), with the Stroker Ace T-Bird was topping out 5th gear on the oval. He said,"if it wasn't for the road coarse I would fall asleep".

The Integra was getting passed on the oval because of lack of HP, but their small engine ment fewer pit stops for fuel.

I don't know if there was rubbing, but if you got a black flag, it ment drive through pit lane. You would have to stop at the end for 2 maybe 3 seconds while the official said "be careful".

The coolest part of ChumpCar? I got to park on the infield, and spectate from pit lane at TMS (and they forgot to charge me admission). I was literally sitting on the pit wall. I took some pictures of unsafe pitting that I'm sure would make Jay and his insurance have a hernia.

If you do the math on Lemons, it is financially stupid. Grand prize will just refund racing fees; nevermind consumables, and capital investment.

If I remember correctly, ChumpCar grand prize would refund fees and a little towards consumables. If Chump would get rid of themes, and pick up a few sponsors, I could see it becoming an excellent low buck "racing" circuit. It would be the place to scout talent for another series.

Troy wrote:

Our driver's that wanted to do Chump flaked out after Eagle's Canyon so we did not go.

They did not have a huge car count.  According to forum reports, the nudists beat their SHO pretty good.  The Prancing Donkey's won with their Integra, not a huge shocker.

I heard second hand there was a lot of rubbing!

Both the Prancing Donkey's and Nudists have fast cars and drive pretty aggressively.  In 6 races we have had 3 incidents of contact.  One was with the Nudists SHO and one with the Prancing Donkeys.  Almost had another run in the the Nudists at ECR.

Chump is more tolerant of aggressive driving than Lemons.

I think John Condren's attempt to get a jump on Lemons by putting their schedule out earlier bit them in the ass.  Condren seems pretty arrogant and cocky too.

Their big level playing field and tough inspections resulted in only a few penalty laps for the Nudists but that is one hell of a built SHO.

The Prancing Donkey's aren't a bunch of choir boys either.  Rene built quite a car.  Their Integra is a good bit faster than most other Integras.  Of course our Z tends to be faster than others too so I'll just leave that alone.

Forum reports were a lot of cars blowing through brakes.  Really, on a banked super speedway, who'd a thunk it?

Baron, Did you guys actually race?  If so, please give us a good first hand report.

We did not. We had the same issue as you did Troy, we ran out of paying drivers.

Get with me in Houston or something and I will tell the tale. It is pretty interesting.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

I went to the Chumpcar race at TMS. Got there around 6pm Sat. Watched from the pit lane til the 7pm safety break. Went to the garages to see all the cars. Most everyone was doing something to their cars. Lots were installing driving lights. Got to talk with ten teams. Everyone I talked with said they were having a blast. The field was small, 26 cars I believe. But Lemons didn't have 100+ fields in their first year either.

I didn't see any bumping, but one of the drivers told me he was bump drafting on the straights earlier in the day.

The 97 SHO had a misfire that they fixed a little after the 8pm restart. The car was fast on the banking. But again, they broke a RF wheel bearing later that night.

One of the things I thought was pretty cool was the live timing and scoring. The fuel stops are alot less stringent than Lemons. Only the fueler needs to be in full firesuit etc. Only 5 gallon jugs are allowed. No big Nascar type jugs.

It's a different series run a different way, it seems to be working for them. I heard that Chumpcar will have a couple races at Tx World Speedway in College Station next year. Might be worth a try.

I left a little after 10pm.

Here's a crappy video of the 97 going by.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnpTd_4Ci6M

12 (edited by Mulry 2010-06-22 12:55 PM)

sergio wrote:

One of the things I thought was pretty cool was the live timing and scoring.

Lemons could have live timing/scoring at all of its events too if Jay were to prioritize it. It's really pretty easy to set up (and doesn't require much equipment) but so far he's been reluctant to add one more thing to their list of to-do's.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I was going to leave this alone since the conversation has changed from the original post, and this is the Lemons forum, not the Chump forum, but I was quoted above.

I said something about falling asleep do to the ease of driving on the banking.  I really enjoyed the race.  Chump and Lemons are different.  There are things I like better in each series.  I consider all the Lemons guys friends, so my loyalty probably lies here, but I would definitely do other chump races if they can keep the series alive.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

14 (edited by jw33 2010-06-22 02:37 PM)

We have run 3 Lemons races in Houston, the ECR race a few weeks ago in Decatur, and ChumCar at TMS last weekend. Both series are fine and everyone was super nice. Neither one is more dangerous than the other IMO. If wearing a fire suit while holding a fire extiguisher makes you feel safe then do it, no one will stop you. And if you feel scared of getting hit on the track, then which series makes more sense to race with? The one with 100 cars or the one with 30 on the track? Honestly, there is no real difference there. The rules are just stated differently, but most people all drive the same no matter what anyone says. Penalties have never really kept the idiots at bay much and telling drivers that small incidental contact is no big deal didn't turn everyone into stunt drivers either. Passing under yellow is probably the biggest deal and both take that pretty seriously. The one thing about Chump that I didn't totally agree with was the cheater cars. Seems like as time goes by they will have to enforce that $500 dollar rule a little more. But no one is racing to win right???????

Besides that they are almost exactly the same. Both are a lot of fun, but I'm loyal to neither. At the end of the day we are simply paying to race a terrible car on a real race track. The argument over how one is so much better than the other kind of reminds me of the blind brand loyalty you see everywhere. I guess because I have a GM motor in my mustang I'm pretty much over that kind of stuff. Do what makes you happy and don't shit all over everyones else's choice. Or do, I couldn't care less.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

15 (edited by justa4banger 2010-06-23 02:54 AM)

nevermind