Topic: shoulder belts- within 15 degrees of horizontal

So this can be + or - 15 degrees, no?

My HANS instructions want 1-2" below horizontal, but SCCA says 0 to 20degrees above horizontal.

I'm planning on following the HANS guideline, but stay close to 1".

Also, can I have the seatbelt come from the bottom of the harness bar instead of the top?  I don't have the instructions handy, but could I make it work from the bottom and still be looped correctly?

Sorry for what may be stupid questions, but I'd rather only have to go through tech 1 time.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

2 (edited by Spank 2010-06-16 08:32 AM)

Re: shoulder belts- within 15 degrees of horizontal

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

So this can be + or - 15 degrees, no?

My HANS instructions want 1-2" below horizontal, but SCCA says 0 to 20degrees above horizontal.

I'm planning on following the HANS guideline, but stay close to 1".

Also, can I have the seatbelt come from the bottom of the harness bar instead of the top?  I don't have the instructions handy, but could I make it work from the bottom and still be looped correctly?

Sorry for what may be stupid questions, but I'd rather only have to go through tech 1 time.

I think you misunderstood the SCCA rules. 0 - 20 degrees downward angle. The wording starts with the 20 degree angled line and the belts must be between that and the horizontal plane. (they describe it from bottom up as opposed to top [horizontal] down). Everyone is the same. 0 - 20 degrees with 10 degrees preferred.

SCCA:

The shoulder harness shall be the over the shoulder type. There
shall be a single release common to the seat belt and shoulder
harness. When mounting belts and harnesses it is recommended
that they be kept as short as reasonably possible to minimize
stretch when loaded in an accident.
The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and
supported above a line drawn downward from the shoulder point
at an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal. The seat itself, or
anything added only to the seat shall not be considered a suitable
guide. Guides must be a part of the roll cage or a part of the car
structure.
Only separate shoulder straps are permitted. (“Y” type shoulder
straps are not allowed.) “H” type configuration is allowed.