Topic: Please steal this engineering/theme idea

If anyone ever wanted to do a tank theme, or any other large rotating mass on top of the car.

Tank turret on the roof that turns the direction the wheels are turned!

Chain and sprocket setup from steering wheel shaft to longitudinal shaft mounted firewall to middle of car
Gears to change the torque direction from horizontal to vertical
vertical shaft to roof mounted decoration.

It's all very scientific, I hope I've dumbed it down enough to be clear.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Please steal this engineering/theme idea

The real genius of this idea is that the cantilevered weight will help offset body roll through the corners.

It doesn't really go with our theme at all, but we might do this just for the improved handling.

Then all you have to do is rig the firing mechanism such that it only shoots when you need additional rear traction.

Of course, raising the center of gravity like that might have other detrimental handling effects.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

And moving the cantilevered mass requires as much traction as it would provide during the time it takes to move so unless you have excess traction just before the turn when you should be on the brakes it won't help...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

And moving the cantilevered mass requires as much traction as it would provide during the time it takes to move so unless you have excess traction just before the turn when you should be on the brakes it won't help...

Well, yeah, but you're driving a TANK!  C'mon!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

TheHeckler wrote:

Oh we have tons of grip when all four wheels are on the ground, it's when that rear inside tire lifts off in the middle of the turn that we really lose some grip.

I just don't see how a turret could do anything but help our handling.  I mean, a higher center of mass, more rotational inertia, additional mechanical complexity, these are all good things right? wink

If you build it so that the gun actually fires (not shells, but something else), then you're onto something.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Here's to you, Mr. auto-aiming-T-shirt-shooting-tank inventor...

Pun'kin Chunkin' theme with a throwback to the early days of Lemons.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

We actually seriously considered doing this to Pepe's tail.  We figured it would give it a "cat-like" balance for far superior handing.  lol

1982 Renault LeCar "Pepe"
2010 Gator-O-Rama rollover
2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE Winner!!