Topic: First Timers view of events...

Sunday morning at Summit Point in the middle of our first event and I can't help to think of what a great event these guys have put together.  Phil and Nick keep us entertained and in line the entire hot day.  Even with some driver attitudes and problems with flagging (heat related I'm sure), they were still Irish Spring fresh at 8pm.  Thanks for putting together such a great event.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Re: First Timers view of events...

I think you mean Jonny. I'm pretty sure that Phil is still in Colorado on his honeymoon. smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Yeah, that's Jonny. I'm back from the honeymoon, but still not working very hard.

As I pulled out of the paddock to head home I saw Jonny sitting by himself reflecting either on his weekend in West Virginia, or on "why the hell am I still here i West Virginia???"... I think he missed you.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

+1 on the great job Jay and his crew always does.  I've done about 10 Lemons races and they're always top notch!

+1000 to the flagging and safety crews!  Sunday was excellent; I appreciate the efforts made to tighten up from Saturday's deficiences.   I'm sure the staff was stretched thin with Hyperfest underway.

And thanks to all the other racers; great job on the track and in the paddock.  Fantastic gumbo and ribs!

Overall more fun then you're supposed to have!

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

Judge Phil wrote:

Yeah, that's Jonny. I'm back from the honeymoon, but still not working very hard.

We missed you Phil!

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Credit where it is due Jonny.  The workers at the track itself, even the gatekeeper, were great.  Everyone I talked to, from him to the girl in the main office asked if I was having a good time.  Very nice people.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

PapaJohn55 wrote:

+1000 to the flagging and safety crews!  Sunday was excellent; !

Hmmm.

On the plus side:

I didn't see any flaggers asleep or reading a book. Yeah!
They kept the wear-and-tear on the yellow flag down by not using it in blind spin / stopped traffic situations.
They stayed well hydrated and relieved by using on-track EMS under yellow, rather than driving on/off using available access roads.
They reduced leg cramps by sitting, yellow flag-not-in-hand.
They enjoyed looking the same direction as each other for camaraderie.
The beautiful lines of cones closing the cut-offs worked great at keeping the emergency crews from using them to quickly get to and from the incident. Even when fire is involved.
They were generous to use the track time to blow off the speedidry rather than let the racers blow it off.
They kept Jay happy because he loves listening to stories from drivers and spotters.

Yes, it was a hot day with Hyperfest competition. But it was, IMO, a poor performance, at least at several of the key stations.

Huge +1 to Jay and staff for a fantastic event.  I believe Jay took every available step possible to improve things. I'm sure they can work out the flagging problem for next year.

Everything else was great. The people were fantastic. The driving was more skillful and considerate. The facility was fantastic. The track was very appropriate for Lemons (lots of walls, but still quite slow, plus long enough to hold lots of cars, and quite interesting and challenging to drive). Fun cars. Good themes. What's not to like?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

9 (edited by Jer 2010-06-21 08:32 AM)

The Saturday flagging was , ummm, bad.  The guy after the carousel was too lazy to put the yellow flag down, so he hung it off the shed.  After 5 laps or so, everyone figured out this hanging yellow flag wasn't really a yellow flag {eye roll}.  Then we had the girl bent over in the carousel entrance to light a cigarette and inadvertantly displaying the yellow flag in the process.  And let's not forget the bouncing breasts in the flag station around the corner from the front stretch apparently cheering on the driver in front of me.  Wait, I was okay with that one.  smile

All in good spirit, though, it was a great weekend and Sunday flagging was MUCH MUCH improved.   And these were, as a group, the most courteous drivers I've raced against.  The facilities were excellent and the track was a really fun challenge to try to master.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

And let's not forget the bouncing breasts in the flag station around the corner from the front stretch apparently cheering on the driver in front of me.  Wait, I was okay with that one.  smile

All in good spirit, though, it was a great weekend and Sunday flagging was MUCH MUCH improved.   And these were, as a group, the most courteous drivers I've raced against.  The facilities were excellent and the track was a really fun challenge to try to master.

x2

She was quite distracting. big_smile

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:
Jer wrote:

And let's not forget the bouncing breasts in the flag station around the corner from the front stretch apparently cheering on the driver in front of me.  Wait, I was okay with that one.  smile

x2

yeah i'm surprised there weren't more penalties for people going off after being distracted by the scenery

I want to add that the stark difference on Sunday was awesome.  The flagging and tow truck entrance/exit all got 100% better.  At one point I was driven two wheels off by someone not seeing me and driving over on me, and I was expecting the worst.  The flaggers had a clear view of what happened, and decided to let it go.  That sort of judgement makes the Lemons experience so much better.  It was a great weekend.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I believe the flaggers were hired at $40 per day from a de-tox center in downtown Charlestown. That said; I think they performed admirably.

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

eljefe17 wrote:
Speedycop wrote:
Jer wrote:

x2

yeah i'm surprised there weren't more penalties for people going off after being distracted by the scenery

during a 20 minute full track yellow on Saturday traffic came to a stop at that corner every lap, I only cared because I really wanted some airflow in my car.

For the record, we fired half of Saturday's flaggers Saturday evening. It got so bad, that I was forced to do the unthinkable -- remove passing under yellow penalties from three cars. We view all drivers as lying scumbags and have learned that the 180 degree opposite of whatever they tell us is the actual truth. Sadly, the poor flagging monkeywrenched our up until then foolproof system.

That said, and with the exception of the 100 degree, 100% humidity weather, everything else was great.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"