Topic: What a blast!!!

I just wanted to say thanks to all for such a great event this weekend.  A hearty thank you to all who were uber courteous on Sunday and did not punt us in the rear as we wrestled the hulk through the range esses.  I was also amazed at the majority of folks who were cool enough to wave us by and race cleanly, as that is what we tried to do as well.

Yes we had power, but we also had 2 tons of bulk (2.25 with my fat ass and the cool suit cooler).  We really did get the tank for a buck, and after selling the pricey double-paned glass, and the rear-view mirror ($275 on ebay, checkemout) we netted out ahead.  We then splurged for $49 monroe shocks on the rears, to replace the hydraulic super-o-matic suspension that had failed.  We also cut out about 750 lbs of more metal, plastic body cladding and tar.

A huge shout out/recommendation for Carbotech, as the pads we bought from them still have over half the material, after the ENTIRE event!!  A much different story from the puddles of molten metal we found after day one at CMP.  A quick phone call to the Carbotech boys describing our crazy mission and they told me that had just the pad, turns out they did.

Once again, thanks to all the other competitors for the clean racing, and thanks to Jay, Johnnie and the crew for a killer event!

Schultz

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

2 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-06-21 07:49 AM)

Re: What a blast!!!

How did you guys find those tires? They looked to be the exact same cheapass Sumitomos we were running on the front of the Grand Prix (The rear had some loltastic 680 treadwear garbage for the express purposes of not having any rear end grip whatsoever).

The Sumitomos lasted us the entire race and looked like they had a few more hours left in them, and that's with wheelspin and understeer on EVERY corner.

I did what I could to stay out of your way the couple of times I met up with you. I probably didn't do a very good job at it, but I tried.

Hell of a car, hell of a build, and a great race from you guys.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Congrats guys.  Hell of a race out there.

I raced with you guys on Sunday afternoon (about 2:00) for about 20 mins and had a blast.  The Schumacher Taxi coROLLa was a little faster in the twisties but you guys could really close the gap on the straights.

Sorry if I chopped you once preparing to turn left into the range straights; slower car in front caught me off guard.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

Just curious, what compound pads were you using?  Our AX6s were gone about 6-8 hours in and we switched over to HP+.  Not sure exactly how they were holding up, but I believe much better.  We surely need to find a better endurance pad for the next event.

Great race from you guys, its fun to watch an enormous boat like that navigate traffic.  Passed me like I was standing still smile

I would guess they were using the RP 2 compound.  Our pads and rotors looked almost new after the first 10 hours.  We got the recommendation from the guys at Phoenix Performance who use them in endurance races.  If I had to guess, we'd get another 2 full 15 hour races out of this set.  All in a pig heavy, single piston caliper t bird.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

First, Congratulations you guys.  Well run.

We used Carbotech XP-8 for our '94 Celica and have at least half the pad left.  Just give a call to Carbotech and they'll match the pad for your purpose.  I simply described the car, the event and they recommended XP-8s. 

I've run them on my Miata for several years and they're incredible.

Fissure Brothers Racing
2010 Capitol Offense Rookies

mj71 wrote:

Just give a call to Carbotech and they'll match the pad for your purpose.  I simply described the car, the event and they recommended XP-8s.

I'll give that a shot, but Carbotech does not make pads for a Saturn... we used '95 Eclipse pads in Saturn calipers.  I'll see what they have to say.  If not, more trial and error smile

We ran whole race on a set of Hawk pads, almost no real pad wear. We aren't going to change them for stafford.
Falken tires....Not so much.

Manny Elmo's revenge

Hawk HT-10's front and stock rear (for bias)... Can't go wrong with Hawk.

I'd also recommend Hawk Blue's front / Black rear, depending on your brake bias issues.

Carbotech  (F) CT577-RP2 pads were the ticket.  They do not have to "stock" pads for your particular car.  To no-ones surprise, they had nothing on the shelf for the S500.  I think what they do is go to the local napa and get pads, then use only the backing plates to put on their material, so they should be able to hook you up.

The Sumitomo HTR-Z was the best choice (300 dot rating) we had, and we picked up 8 from tire rack.  We had bad outer wear on the right front, and some flat spotting as I almost hit the grey 5 series under yellow,  their CMSL was tiny and faded and I almost creamed them coming up the hill.  The tires lasted, but gotta love the 7 inch SUV-esqe sidewalls compounding the massive body roll we had.  We need to find something with a lower sidewall. 

Thanks for the kind words,

Schultz

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

PapaJohn55 wrote:

I raced with you guys on Sunday afternoon (about 2:00) for about 20 mins and had a blast.  The Schumacher Taxi coROLLa was a little faster in the twisties but you guys could really close the gap on the straights.

I had a great time chasing you guys in the cheetah volvo wagon mid day Sunday.  We had the handling and brakes, but just couldn't move through traffic on the straights like the powerful cars could.  Clearly we need more power...

We run stock pads and rotors from the Volvo dealer and we had ZERO issues.  Except that one time my foot slipped off the brake pedal going up the inside of (I think) #47...sorry about that.  Wagged the tail about three times but didn't spin and kept it going on track.  We also ran the same set of Hankook RS2 that the team used for the entire 24hr @ Nelson Ledges.  If you want a reliable car that's easy on parts, try an n/a volvo.

This was my first time wheel-to-wheel racing and I can't wait to do another race.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

We also ran carbotech XP-8s until we got airborne out of the Karosel and totaled our GTI... the Carbotech brakes are great, but they do work the best on asphalt with the tires touching the ground!

Nice job with the Benz!  After seeing your car, I suggested to Jay that he create a penalty where you must id the broken wire in an S-Class wiring harness...

Britt Bolen
DOS Boot Racing - Chief Instigator
1985 GTI - DNF Lemons South Spring 2009, 26th Lemons South Fall 2009, DNF Capitol Offense 2010
If you're using all 4 tires you're not cornering fast enough!

I would like to point out that the big bad S-Class didn't come into the penalty box even once all weekend. nor did the second place E30.

Something to think about...

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

ya... we are really going to work on that issue. Those guys in the big ass green car were awesome. Though I would like to suggest that they add something to that billboard of a trunk that I can look at while following them. It got boring staring at green from our little MR2.

Bill Strong
Racing Strong Motorsports
Like us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/RacingStrong

towerymt wrote:

I had a great time chasing you guys in the cheetah volvo wagon mid day Sunday.  We had the handling and brakes, but just couldn't move through traffic on the straights like the powerful cars could.  Clearly we need more power...

Nah, just do your passing under braking and turning. smile We were in the other Volvo 240 wagon (the cow), and passed a lot of cars going into turns and coming out of turns. Not so many on the straights. smile Especially coming onto the bridge straight where that #^$@ off-camber turn made it impossible to get the power down without spinning the inside wheel. What we really needed was a LSD.

We run stock pads and rotors from the Volvo dealer and we had ZERO issues.

We were using Hawk HP+ pads and they worked fine for our car. No fade at all, and they remained strong all race. The only issue we had was locking up the rears first, but it never got too squirrely when that happened. I like a little rear bias anyway.

If you want a reliable car that's easy on parts, try an n/a volvo.

+1 to that ! This has been about as pain-free a car as I've worked on. It's like the Energizer Bunny. Having said that, we did lose 1st gear Sunday morning, so we have work to do before Stafford Springs -- but 1st is not an important gear anyway.

I never had the chance to run with you guys on the track, but it was great talking with you guys Saturday evening. Thanks again for the udders! smile I also never got a chance to see your homemade camber things, but it sounds like a great idea. We might just borrow it. smile We're tired of chewing up the outsides of our tires!

Dave -- member emeritus, Vermont Bert One --

16 (edited by csx135 2010-06-22 04:34 AM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

I would like to point out that the big bad S-Class didn't come into the penalty box even once all weekend. nor did the second place E30.

Something to think about...

3rd place TWPGA's rusty cougar was never in the box either.  That was probably our number one goal for our first race.

Anti EPA Racing's Rusty Ass Cougar - Formerly Tiger's Wood PGA (Probably Gettin Ass) Racing - Harrisburg PA

The Schumacher coROLLa stayed out of the box for like the 5th straight race.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Got my first black flag penalty this weekend after 6 races. But it was after we were knocked out of contention by a failed transponder so I don't feel too bad about it. Was just out having fun at that point.

We had 2 black flags that seemed to be mis communications.  They were drive throughs.  Still cost a few laps, not that we were in contenetion.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

DaveG wrote:

Nah, just do your passing under braking and turning. smile We were in the other Volvo 240 wagon (the cow), and passed a lot of cars going into turns and coming out of turns.

That's all I could do.  The car felt good under braking and even when I thought I went in too deep, it almost always turned in at the curbing.  Negative camber really helped.

Not so many on the straights. smile Especially coming onto the bridge straight where that #^$@ off-camber turn made it impossible to get the power down without spinning the inside wheel. What we really needed was a LSD.

Weld the rear and run a big bar to try and get the car to turn, since the welded rear will make the car tend towards understeer.

Having said that, we did lose 1st gear Sunday morning, so we have work to do before Stafford Springs -- but 1st is not an important gear anyway.

We sheared 3rd gear Friday and swapped in our neighbor's spare M46.  Sat/Sun were problem free for us, mechanically.

I never had the chance to run with you guys on the track, but it was great talking with you guys Saturday evening. Thanks again for the udders! smile I also never got a chance to see your homemade camber things, but it sounds like a great idea. We might just borrow it. smile We're tired of chewing up the outsides of our tires!

If we could clean up the mistakes, we'd be up there with you in the standings.  Your team did a great job and certainly deserved the "most from the least" trophy.

You can either make your own strut mounts to get negative camber, or extend the control arms like we did.  If you're using the big 6.5" diameter stock springs, the spring hits the strut tower at about -1 to -1.5 degrees, so the control arm extensions give more.  What do you run for springs and struts/shocks?

Armitage wrote:

Got my first black flag penalty this weekend after 6 races. But it was after we were knocked out of contention by a failed transponder so I don't feel too bad about it. Was just out having fun at that point.

We lost 5 laps (?) Saturday at the start of the race because the transponder wasn't aimed in the right direction.  We were really happy with our finish in spite of that problem and two legitimate black flags.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

towerymt wrote:

We lost 5 laps (?) Saturday at the start of the race because the transponder wasn't aimed in the right direction.  We were really happy with our finish in spite of that problem and two legitimate black flags.

We also lost a few laps due to a faulty transponder.  Was black flagged and told to fix it during the transponder checks at the beginning, but by the time I got back to our paddock spot they were already running.  A little annoying, but really the least of our problems.

We were never flagged for the transponder and we lost 21 laps before we noticed the it on the scoring computer + the pit stop to re-wire the thing.

We probably would have been flagged if the car hadn't waited till green flag laps to have its electrical gremlin .    Matt it was great having you on the team btw, hopefully we can do it again soon.

24 (edited by ProDarwin 2010-06-22 10:25 AM)

I guess this raises the question:  would it be possible to do transponder checks during the practice day?

rushman wrote:

We probably would have been flagged if the car hadn't waited till green flag laps to have its electrical gremlin .    Matt it was great having you on the team btw, hopefully we can do it again soon.

Thanks Jon, I had an awesome time. It was weird driving not my car at my "home" course but the racing at this event was the best I've seen so far. Here's hoping for more events at Summit in the future!