Topic: DOM vs ERW for roll cage.

I have the opportunity to buy all the material I need for my teams roll cage for an extremely low price, the only thing is it is ERW mild steel. I know that DOM is recommended and that it is stronger in the event of a wreck, but is it THAT much stronger? Any one with more experience in racing let me know, I know a bit about pipe from working in the natural gas industry but tubing is out of my knowledge base. BTW, our car is an 83' Buick LeSabre, so it is quite heavy. Thanks for any and all help.

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Re: DOM vs ERW for roll cage.

DOM, DOM, DOM ...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

3 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-06-21 02:20 PM)

We're running a heavier car, and my cage builder (who builds cages for NASA, SCCA, and BMW club cars) still very, very heavily recommended DOM even though it was twice the price.

SCCA and NASA no longer allow ERW cages.  That should be justification enough.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

DOM

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Well, you've pretty much gotten the straight dope from the Lemons Cage Building Mafia. If this bunch says DOM, proceed with ERW at your own peril.

One other thing to consider: Lemons currently allows ERW, but there's no guarantee that it will in the future. This probably isn't up to Lemons as much as it is up to their insurer. If their insurance policy sometime in the future says, hey, all cages gotta be DOM because that's what NASA and SCCA both require, then you're screwed and you'll either have to re-cage (ugh) or start all over again. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Thanks for the input everyone, I will probably proceed with the DOM!

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Evil Genius wrote:

DOM

If he says it, it will probably be an update to the rules next year.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

It's a shame....IMO ERW should be allowed, but with greater wall thickness and gussets....easier to get good welds with a thicker tube and cheaper. Just bend with the seam in and you're fine. This obsession with cage material strength is weird...much more likely to fail at bad welds or in the HAZ than in the tube itself, especially if the cage is properly triangulated and gusseted. NASCAR was running 50MPH over Lemons speeds 50 years ago with black pipe welded with oxy/acet and AC stick and I don't recall many cage failures even then, with some horrific superspeedway wrecks...The difference in price would go a long way towards a  HANS....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

It's a shame....IMO ERW should be allowed, but with greater wall thickness and gussets....easier to get good welds with a thicker tube and cheaper. Just bend with the seam in and you're fine. This obsession with cage material strength is weird...much more likely to fail at bad welds or in the HAZ than in the tube itself, especially if the cage is properly triangulated and gusseted. NASCAR was running 50MPH over Lemons speeds 50 years ago with black pipe welded with oxy/acet and AC stick and I don't recall many cage failures even then, with some horrific superspeedway wrecks...The difference in price would go a long way towards a  HANS....

x2.

DOM is ERW w/ a mandrel drawn through to flatten the inner seam.  Both start as flat, then are rolled, then seam welded, and then DOM has the additional finishing to mash the seam for uniform wall thickness.  IMHO, it's not that big a deal.  Design, fit-up and welding are far more important factors in tube frame construction, IME.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Has anyone ever seen a cage fail ERW, DOM or otherwise?

the only cage failures I've seen had to do with the cage either punching through an improperly back-plated mounting point or a shearing force from an improper weld. so if you must, just get ERW but make SURE you have professional, high-quality welds and proper back plates. All things being said, go DOM if you can.

mikedeck wrote:

Has anyone ever seen a cage fail ERW, DOM or otherwise?

The last time we had this discussion RobL posted a pic I can't seem to find of a halo bar crushed down on to the seat.  that said I've never seen something like this happen in person, and I can't imagine the impact that caused that, IIRC he didn't know the story behind the pic either, for all we know a tree fell on the car. 

That said our cage is ERW, thicker tubing than the rules require,  it was significantly cheaper and if jimeditorial and FJ40Jim are right, no less safe than anything else.  I know ours was put in right so I feel perfectly safe with it.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r123/VolvoHeretic/Volvowreckedandcrushedrollbar.jpg

Tubing failure. 

This looks like the car rolled and hit a tree.  That said, this crash is the worst in terms of cage protection as in a roll cage is not designed to take this hit.  The bars that the tree hit are long and not braced diagnally.  The chassis (roof) is not going to absorb energy.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The worst cage failure I've seen was in a Mustang and it had nothing to do with the type of tube used.  The builder failed to strengthen the floor with pad and the base of the cage punched four holes in the floor when it landed on the roof.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Lemons rules on cages is simply the MINIMUM safety requirement.  Want to add forward braces to the front firewall to make it an 8-point cage?  Go ahead.  Want to add four bars at every corner of the halo?  knock yourself out.  Heck, run a diagonal from the the top of the main hoop, just right of the driver to clear the helmet and run it all the way to the base of the leg on the front passenger floor.

We just received our ERW cage kit yesterday and I plan on adding a number of extra tubes to make it as strong as possible.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

16 (edited by jimeditorial 2010-06-23 06:45 AM)

Tubing failure? I don't see a lengthwise split in the seam, just a fold where the tube was crushed....ERW or DOM would be no different hitting a tree with your roof. DOM is simply cold-worked ERW, not magic....I'll bet this cage's A pillar uprights folded around the HAZ at the baseplate welds. Welding changes the metallurgy locally, a far more important consideration strength wise than ASTM numbers for the tube....a rule on the welding consumables would be more sensible.... A NASCAR style "wing" bar would also have helped. There's no triangulation around the  front uprights, so they heeled over. Doubt chrome moly would have stood up to this.  For the price difference between ERW and DOM you could often get your cage's welds inspected and spot repaired by a professional welder... just because the SCCA does it doesn't mean it makes sense...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

RobL wrote:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r123 … ollbar.jpg

Tubing failure. 

This looks like the car rolled and hit a tree.  That said, this crash is the worst in terms of cage protection as in a roll cage is not designed to take this hit.  The bars that the tree hit are long and not braced diagnally.  The chassis (roof) is not going to absorb energy.

If i remember correctly this car is in the east and went off at a high rate of speed then hit the berm at the end of the runoff and was thrown up into a very large tree branch which caused this roof damage. The driver was trapped in the car because it forced his head forward and down so tightly that it pinched off his wind pipe and he blacked out and eventually had to be resuscitated. Because of this you now see a lot of the BMW club cars have installed support tubes right next to the drive and just forward of the driver also. Race tracks in the east are beautiful but if you reach the trees they are not so beautiful.

Pendejo

18 (edited by RobL 2010-06-23 07:30 AM)

jimeditorial wrote:

Tubing failure? I don't see a lengthwise split in the seam, just a fold where the tube was crushed....

As in the tubing failed to maintain it's shape vs. a weld breaking or cage punching itself through the floor.

Like I've said here and on other forums - cages are designed to keep the driver safe in the most common incidents.  (Generally) The more bars, the stronger the steel, the better design, the more time&money spent on a cage - the safer you are going to be in more situations.  But are you going to put a $4000 cage in a $500 beater?  It's all about compromise cost vs. overall safety.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

I just don't see the huge difference in price between DOM and ERW..    Maybe its because I buy so much tubing, but the price diff for me is 10-15%   at low quantities(<200ft).    In reality DOM costs me less because I buy it 1000+ ft at a time..  A low quantity of ERW would cost more per foot.  There is no ERW in my shop, I don't use it.

DOM is stronger, the cold working of the tube adds a lot of toughness, I don't have my strength tables here in front of me, but  I know the strength difference is significant.   

One of the main reasons that SCCA, NASA and others have gone to DOM only is its accuracy and concentricness.   Oft times when you measure the thickness of ERW you get variations that will give you a measurement under the required thickness, oops, fail.  Most DOM is spot on (within 2 thousandths)  while ERW usually varies from .111 to .131 on a .120 wall thickness tube.   

Yes, cage design and weld quality are more important, and we are cracking down on crappy, lumpy, cold welds.     

DOM has become the standard in road racing and We (Lemons) recommend it strongly in our rules..   Please use it if you can. 

I just called around NoCal as a consumer, not giving my business name and asking for 100ft of 1.5 X .120 ERW and 1.5 x .120 DOM..   the price difference varied between $.65 to $1.23 per foot..   An average car with Minimum Lemons cage will use 60ish feet, a car with added bars will use up to 100ish feet.  So I see the price difference as about $40 to $110...  Not that bad of a hit to use the right stuff.     

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

+1 on what John said. 

Also, I've had ERW tubing break at the seam while I was working with it.  As in - I was in the process of notching a tube and the seam split on the waste side of the cut.  That has never happened on DOM tubing for me.

RobL wrote:

+1 on what John said. 

Also, I've had ERW tubing break at the seam while I was working with it.  As in - I was in the process of notching a tube and the seam split on the waste side of the cut.  That has never happened on DOM tubing for me.

My cage builder has had the same thing happen and told us that he no longer builds any ERW cages.  Split amongst 5-6 drivers, the extra $100 or so for DOM is a no-brainer.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

The worst cage failure I've seen was in a Mustang and it had nothing to do with the type of tube used.  The builder failed to strengthen the floor with pad and the base of the cage punched four holes in the floor when it landed on the roof.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200910/hallett-car-fx-musta-7_460x0w.jpg
I'm betting this is what you're talking about.  You can see the whole sequence here.
That car was featured on a Mustang car magazine (sounds like an open door for taking shots).  This happened about a week before I was there for a motorcycle race and talking to the guys at the shop about building my cage.  The discussion went something along the lines of 'DOM is better, yes.  We're using an ERW kit for a LeMon cage to save some time and adding additional gussets, but whatever you do, AVOID THIS (shows pictures and explains how it had no spreaders).

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

That's the one.  He lost it cresting the blind hill just before The Bitch and I've seen many offs at that part of the track.  SCCA allows for mounting plates to be a maximum of 144 sq. inches.  For those of you, like me, who have rusty floors...fix them well and then add another layer to help spread the load so it doesn't punch through.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

RobL wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

Tubing failure? I don't see a lengthwise split in the seam, just a fold where the tube was crushed....

As in the tubing failed to maintain it's shape vs. a weld breaking or cage punching itself through the floor.

Like I've said here and on other forums - cages are designed to keep the driver safe in the most common incidents.  (Generally) The more bars, the stronger the steel, the better design, the more time&money spent on a cage - the safer you are going to be in more situations.  But are you going to put a $4000 cage in a $500 beater?  It's all about compromise cost vs. overall safety.

I don't see how DOM would have prevented this.....I agree that it's all a compromise.....we have to be careful to make sure that we don't squeeze out the little guy a hundred bucks at a time. I'd rather sit under an ERW cage bent and welded by a professional than a DOM assembly glued by a 16 year old with a 110V flux core welder between beers in the backyard....naturally great welds and strong materials are best, but safe cages have been built for decades with "lesser" materials. At LeMans, sure, but in Lemons?
One of the best rules in this series IMO is the ability to use stock fuel tanks. The OEM's spend millions to make the tanks safe in the stock location in modern cars, and lots of DIY cell installations are a hell of lot more likely to puke gas out of a ruptured line or bad fitting than a solid stock system. SCCA etc. should take note (along with the lawyers and insurance co's!)

Jim "Endo" Anderton

jimeditorial wrote:
RobL wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

I don't see how DOM would have prevented this.....

Where did I say DOM would have prevented this?  I merely said that the tubing failed vs. some other part of the cage or a bad design.  If the tubing in this situation was stronger, there might have been less intrusion into the drivers area.  If you were to describe how this cage "deformed," how would you do it?

As for the rest, we are saying the same things.