Re: more northeast races?

I need the extra time to get it ready, duh.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

52 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-06-24 07:38 PM)

Speedycop wrote:

I need the extra time to get it ready, duh.

You oughta bring the 'bird to the 24hrs of nelson.  Probably could get it running w/ 24hrs of straight work. big_smile
Plus, we'd all be there to help, or hinder, or something.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Hmm. I dunno. The last one was 12 hours straight of head-gasket swapping in the '61 Caddy, and then we spun a bearing and locked the motor anyway. Took a lot of the fun out of it. If anything, I'd bring the Lincoln, so we'd have an overall shot. My motorhome probably still has NL mud in it...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I wish either Lemons or ChumpCar could work something out with NL for next year.  That is a great track and is 24 hour friendly.  The September NL-run UsedCar Racing event is just too risky to sign up for.  Nobody knows how many will show up, or what the format will be.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

We're doing the NL race.
I hope nobody else shows up, so we can get the overall *and* IOE win. smile

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Which event are you talking about?

Also keep in mind I've heard they follow SCCA/NASA standards for the cages.  I've heard of a few people who have failed there tech but pass Lemons.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

They are talking about the "used-car racing" event that NL is trying to put on by themselves.  This was the same format they were trying to run in the spring and cancelled because not enough people preregistered.  I believe the second one is in September?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Yes, the September NL race is Labor Day weekend.  We would have considered it, but after the spring race cancelled, we didn't want to chance it.  We can only afford a few races this season, so we are doing the August ChumpCar and October Lemons races - both at GingerMan.  Had we signed up for the NL race rather than the October Lemons race and the NL race cancelled, we'd be entry deadline and therefor the Lemons race too.

'74 260Z

We also talked about the NL race this year but i really don't see it taking off.  They are better off allowing Lemons back there for a true 24 and being done with it.  At this rate they have 2 full weekends where they were expecting a Lemons like turnout and already cancelled the first.  Empty track for a whole weekend means no incoming money.  Do this twice a year and that can severely effect the bottom line.  They would have been much further ahead by running the Lemons race and charging for camping. Oh well....

Lemons didn't want to come back from what I'd heard.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I dont think there was a ever a clear answer on what happened with NL and why another race was not held there.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

The powers that be were concerned with safety at NL.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

IIRC, it had something to do with Lemons HQ getting really concerned about potential safety problems at the track, especially the high speeds that our crappy cars were reaching at the end of the backstretch going through the turn 11 kink and the nasty pit lane merge right at the bridge.

Personally, I'd love to go back for another 24 hours race at NL.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

As I just said on the CC forum, I don't buy the safety risk argument.  The NL race was a huge success and we saw no major incidents at all other than the Caddy into the bridge.  Even that didn't result in a DNF.  Some of the westcoast tracks have 4-5 rollovers in a weekend and nobody is screaming for them to be taken off the schedule.  I love how there are no big braking zones at NL resulting in fewer dive bomb passes and cars forced off track.  Personally, I think NL saw the huge turnout and tried to raise the rental fees.  That likely pissed Jay off and he walked away from the table.  Claiming safety concerns is an easier sell to the Lemons community than less profit in his pocket.  I could be all wrong, but that's my take...

'74 260Z

Jeff G,

Take it as gospel from someone who absolutely knows - you are in fact all wrong when it comes to your theory that the track tried to make a 'cash grab'.

The decision not to return was made by Jay and Company, not the track. Period.

If you are 'still don't buy the safety argument' please contact me off line or send me your phone number.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

I'd love for another full 24 hour race at NL. 

-Scott

Scott Barton

Scott,

Labor Day weekend there will be a 'Used Car' sanctioned 24 Hour Race at Nelsons.   Google it.
Word is the entry is currently approaching 30 cars.

we briefly considered the Labor Day race there this fall, but it was scheduled against other events and we decided not to go.  I would still like to race there again, hopefully in 2011 with one of the series.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

13.15. Window Nets: Window nets are required

Per UC rules. Because of this I won't be attending.  Our first race in Gingerman we had one driver insist on running a window net.  When he came in for his black flag penalty the window net would not release.  The judges joked that they should catch the car on fire to see how fast he could get out.  I know the whole window net debate can get pretty heated but personally I choose to not run one.

Porkchops - I'm of the 180 degree opposite opinion.  I once watched a pro-rally car roll where the driver instinctively stuck his arm out the window to 'stop' the roll. He came 'this close' to chopping his arm off.    Personally I'd never race a car without a net.    The probelm you had a Gingerman wasn't due to having a net, it was due to having an improperly installed net.  Done right, releasing a net is as easy as releasing your belts.

Spud wrote:

Jeff G,

Take it as gospel from someone who absolutely knows - you are in fact all wrong when it comes to your theory that the track tried to make a 'cash grab'.

The decision not to return was made by Jay and Company, not the track. Period.

If you are 'still don't buy the safety argument' please contact me off line or send me your phone number.

Fair enough.  If you know the reason first hand, then I accept it.  If the worry was high speeds in the kink, then I can see their point.  I had an incident there several years ago while testing a 500hp pre-production car.  I hit a beaver(?) at dusk just before the kink while doing about 135.  The antifreeze-filled intercooler AND the oil filter were torn off the car.  With antifreeze and engine oil all over the track, I had zero rear traction heading into the kink.  Luckily, I was able to control the car and keep it off the grass.  Had things turned out differently, maybe I'd be more worried about the track, but I didn't see anything worrisome at the Lamest Day.

'74 260Z

72 (edited by Jer 2010-06-25 10:55 AM)

As a group we are pretty good and safe drivers.  I thought for sure someone would "Dukes of Hazard" off the start of the carousel last weekend, but I don't think it happened.  I watched a car "lip out" and into the grass, but no 40 foot jumps. 

I get the feeling that the Lemons organizers think we're a scary group that is going to do something stupid.  Heck, we ran at ledges without real incident in a 24 hour race and 125+ cars but it was still deemed unsafe.  At Summit we were routinely hitting 95 twice per lap with precious little run off room.  head scratcher to me

If XS speed is the determining safety factor, why not just add a chicane or two where necessary, i.e. haybales tires, etc....put a slow one in just before the pit exit and it's even safer....is there something else about this track that's a safety issue?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

If XS speed is the determining safety factor, why not just add a chicane or two where necessary, i.e. haybales tires, etc....put a slow one in just before the pit exit and it's even safer....is there something else about this track that's a safety issue?

I seem to recall Jay addressing this once upon a time. Maybe back on the Yahoo group? Anyway, my takeaway from it was that not adding chicanes had a lot to do with liability in case somebody gets hurt/killed. If the track is unsafe as designed and operated by the track operator, then it would be harder for a plaintiff to pin that part of the lawsuit on Lemons. But if Lemons comes along and artificially modifies a track (say, by adding chicanes), and then somebody gets hurt by running through a tire wall chicane, then it's easy to pin that on Lemons.

Or something like that.

Plus we all bitch and moan to the nth degree when there are chicanes anyway, which definitely does not add to the fun quotient.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Spud - I respect your personal preference and am not trying to start an argument or anything.  Just saying that I prefer to not run a safety net.  I do see your side of the coin though.