Topic: New Automotive Repair Q&A Site

There is a new site being proposed on stackexchange.com (I'll explain what that is more below) for motor vehicle maintenance and repair.  If you're at all interested in a totally free, well made, community moderated website for asking and answering obscure questions about auto repair I'd encourage you to check this out.

About Stack Exchange

Stack Exchange is a platform for hosting expert Q&A sites.  Unlike a usual online forum like this one which encourages general discussion and sharing of information in a more conversational manner, Stack Exchange sites are strictly used and optimized for asking and answering questions.  So if you want to start a discussion about whether it's a good idea to drop a big block V8 into a Fiat, this is not the place to go, but if you want to know what the torque specs are for the head bolts on an '87 BMW M42 engine, then this is the perfect place.

If you're curious as to what one of these sites looks like in practice you can check out superuser.com which is a site for questions about computers.  If you're in the IT field you can also check out stackoverflow.com and serverfault.com for programming and system admin questions respectively.

I currently use these sites on a daily basis as a resource for doing my job, and I'm always amazed at how quickly and accurately even the most arcane questions get answered.  As I've been getting more into working on cars I've often wished there was a similar site for asking questions about auto repair.  Now there can be if just a few more people show some interest in the site.  I'd encourage you to check it out.  If it seems interesting to you, create an account and click the "Follow It" button.

Re: New Automotive Repair Q&A Site

I just received a message asking if I actually wrote this post or if my account had been hacked.

I assure you the post is legit.  I apologize if it came off as spammy.  I honestly just think the Stack Exchange platform is a cool concept and that one about auto repair would be of interest to this community.  I have absolutely zero involvement with the guys who created and run the site other than I read their blog and have been a user of the site since it was in beta.

I've used stackoverflow quite a bit in my work over the years. If they can get the car-guy participation (which is a waaaay different mindset than the IT dork) it should be pretty cool.

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering

This thread has been reported by a few users as SPAM. Its not overtly spam but in that squishy area where if it had ONE MORE link to an outside website it would be over the line. 

With all the issues we have had lately with spammers carpetbombing the site we need to resist anything that will raise everyone's hackles.

I'm going to move this thread into the Bench Racing forum since it doesn't specifically relate to tech issues with Lemons.