Topic: Help on our theme

Hey everyone, we're looking at trying to do our first Lemons race in Chicago in October, and we've come up with what we hope is a good theme.  We've got our eyes on a '95 Cadillac STS (Northstar and all), and originally wanted to dress it up as a train, but I remembered the Bipolar Express from last year I think, and they seemed to do it rather well (People's Choice), so we decided to change.

So now we want to turn it into an aircraft carrier.  I read that it'd been done before on a Ford LTD at CMP Fall 2009, but this was the only picture I could find of it:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/09/500x_LSF09-Top-046-500px.jpg

How well done was it, and does anyone have any more pictures?

If we stick to the theme, we'd have to go above and beyond (not that we wouldn't anyway).  Thanks for any help!

Pushing The Nimitz: 1995 Cadillac STS
2010 Chicago: "Most From The Least" Award Winner
http://twitter.com/PushinTheNimitz

2 (edited by Spank 2010-06-22 09:42 PM)

Re: Help on our theme

This:
Fauxlex 24 racer

But ya gotta do it right.

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/JohnBrooks/00%20Rolex%2024/03.jpg

http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/JohnBrooks/00%20Rolex%2024/45.jpg

heh. you could try an equilibrium theme. start learning Gun Katta!

The Enterprise was pretty memorable.  It was by far the largest vehicle out on the track. They had cut off the roof, leaving the copious hood and trunk to form one seemingly connected deck.

They were also memorable because they put some monster engine in it for their second race that made them pretty interesting to try to pass.  Their only weakness was that they needed to pretty much come to a stop for every turn at CMP.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

5 (edited by CBear3 2010-06-23 07:00 AM)

And when they hit you in the door it felt every bit like an aircraft carrier.

With a Northstar Cadillac in a Midwestern race, I think an Iggy Pop theme- inspired by the 'Roll' ads- would be appropriate. Team Open Up And Bleed!

Just grow your hair all long and stringy, roll around in broken glass, and do 1,000 pushups a day for six months. Be sure to rub peanut butter on yourselves during pit stops.

http://kenoath.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/iggypop1.jpg

If you really want to make that Lust for Life theme sing, cultivate a nasty smack habit, then kick it. That will help with losing driver weight too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Didn't Paulie Walnuts drive an STS?

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Here you go:

http://ronman.org/pics/lemons_fall/4/img_5463_std.jpg

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

OK, this is going to take a lot of time and will add a significant amount of weight to (the highest point of) your car, but it is a Caddy, so that thing is already heavy, so it'll just be slightly more terrible to drive.

Don't turn your car into an aircraft carrier, build one on top of your car. 

Go with me here.  You'll need to build the structure on the roof out of 1"x2" lumber in an H-frame.  Run it from about 3 feet in front of your windshield to above your tail lights.  Take it apart, coat all joints in builder's adhesive and reassemble.  Cut a hole before your windshield so that it doesn't become a sail.  Angle it up about 2 degrees.  Cover the whole thing in plywood.  Brace the back with angle iron and have an angled support that also serves as the whatever the technical term is for the part of the ship that is in the water going into your trunk.  I cannot stress this part enough: make sure to put some real pressure on it before the race so that it doesn't fall apart on track. 

Paint the body of the car blue with waves, decorate the carrier and viola!  Aircraft carrier and a giant down-force generating wing. 

It's so simple!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

You forgot to glue lots of model airplanes and helicopters on the car?

Can you team up with a couple of mid-sized cars themed as destroyers and other support ships?

Thanks for the picture, ronman.

I like the idea of building a deck on top.  It crossed my mind briefly, but it didn't go anywhere because I hadn't discovered the USS Enterprise yet.  It reminds me of when a friend and I were bringing a sheet of plywood back to our apartment on top of his GTI, and it would create massive lift at anything above 30...  Though that was half-inch plywood and it didn't have a frame, so fingers crossed on that.  Whatever, the team's made of mechanical engineers, so I'm sure we can figure it out.

wrappedinbacon wrote:

Brace the back with angle iron and have an angled support that also serves as the whatever the technical term is for the part of the ship that is in the water going into your trunk.

It's called the hull.

Concur with the idea though. Super-duper bonus points if you can rig it up with a steam catapult that would launch model planes.

Also, if it's the Enterprise, then you could build a small nuclear reactor in the trunk of the car for additional propulsion. I'm pretty sure that the Big E is a CVN-class carrier, right?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

14 (edited by erdero 2010-06-24 06:41 PM)

Well if you're going to do an aircraft carrier, it's got to be the biggest and the best, so of course it'll be a Nimitz-class.  And the raised deck would make any catapult much easier to make.  A steam catapult may be hard (and add another hundred pounds), but i was working out in my head earlier how to do it with rubber bands.

Wait a minute!  Since yer drivin a Northstar motored car the STEAM part should come naturally...

Nick

Nick
Focke Ewe racing -> Muttonheads! Racing -> Torque Junkies
86ish VW GTI...now with TDI Powah!

It would be fun to see a lot of ship themes out on track together. A paneled wagon as Old Ironsides, a BMW as the Bismark, a Monitor and Merrimack, a side-wheeler, a nuclear sub, the Kontiki, etc.

17 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-06-26 11:53 AM)

m610 wrote:

It would be fun to see a lot of ship themes out on track together. A paneled wagon as Old Ironsides, a BMW as the Bismark, a Monitor and Merrimack, a side-wheeler, a nuclear sub, the Kontiki, etc.

Yes!
We've seen plenty of warplane related themes.
Time for Lemons to go down to the sea in fighting ships.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

18 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-06-26 12:14 PM)

Aircraft carrier seems pretty easy. Just strap some plywood to the roof (and don't forget to build the tower) Maybe glue on some model F-14's.

The important part is that everyone is either dressed like Maverick and Iceman or like sailors.

... Or you have working catapults.

...... And can launch an RC plane from it.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

FJ40Jim wrote:
m610 wrote:

Yes!
We've seen plenty of warplane related themes.
Time for Lemons to go down to the sea in fighting ships.

"Fate protects fools, small children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" wink

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

A member of our team who was on the Enterprise indicated the generally accepted name is "Enterprison"...

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering

EyeMWing wrote:

Aircraft carrier seems pretty easy. Just strap some plywood to the roof (and don't forget to build the tower) Maybe glue on some model F-14's.

The important part is that everyone is either dressed like Maverick and Iceman or like sailors.

... Or you have working catapults.

...... And can launch an RC plane from it.

We're planning on all of that.  Team captain would obviously be...a captain.  Everyone else either as pilots or the guys in the different colored shirts who work on the deck.

And I whipped up a little solidworks model:

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5115/solidworks.jpg

According to this, our "deck" will weigh between 200-300 lbs depending on type of wood and frame structure, which is about the amount I assume we'll be taking out of the car.  So we'll really just be moving the CG up by like a foot.  Now I just need to get my hands on some CFD software...

Thanks for the help everyone.  Now we just have to cross our fingers that nobody decides to be an aircraft carrier before October (or August, the app deadline).

You're trying too hard. 'Just cut the entire roof/windshield off.  Fill in open passenger compartment with sheetmetal, cardboard, etc. Flatten the hood-pass comparment-trunk lid and use that as the flight deck. Poke your head up through flight deck where the island would be. Add spining radar dish on top of roll cage island. Super glue F14 tomcats to appropriate tie-down locations. Design and build power-steering powered foam glider catapault

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

Having grown up in (former Navy town) Alameda, I have not-so-fond memories of the deluge of drunken 19-year-old sailors that would swarm the island when the Enterprise (whose tower was the tallest structure in the city) would return to port. If you choose an aircraft carrier as your theme, I suggest you avoid basing yours on any that were based in Alameda during my formative years (e.g., Coral Sea, Enterprise, Carl Vinson). Not that I can imagine giving any laps to a well-executed Cadillac Carrier, of course.

the thing on the back (stern of the ship) is a rudder.
colors on the flight deck; purple-fuels (i wore one of these), yellow-deck director, green-chain crew/arresting cable/cats, white-safety/oxygen tank, red-fire/rescue.

i served on the Saratoga. two med cruises in the 70's. used to wave single fingers at the russians when they flew by.....

forddragracer wrote:

used to wave single fingers at the russians when they flew by.....

If you come to Yeehaw, I have a 6pack for you

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John