Topic: Rookie Teams at Summit

Who were Rookie teams, or had rookie drivers on your team at Summit?

Thanks

Re: Rookie Teams at Summit

Team Days of Plunder
#15 Saturn

First wheel to wheel event ever
5 of 6 drivers were rookies

World Class Motorsports Livers  #01
We were a rookie team. It was the first time racing for three of us.  The fourth driver has a lot of race experience but only did about an hour in the car due to racing in the NASA event on the main track that weekend.

Overengineer'd racing was 5/6th rookie drivers.  None of us had driven the car since last August (when I drove it to work) and none of us had driven in a wheel to wheel race ever before.  One driver has autocross experience.  We did ok all things considered.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

Ricky Bobby Laughing Clown Malt Liquor 3/4 first race.  Other did Stafford last year.

We plan on doing lots more, if we can get more close by.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Final Gear #38 Pontiac GTP.

Our capt had done 5 Lemons events prior, two of our drivers had done 1 event before, and our last driver was a rookie. It was a test of the car more than the drivers though since it hadn't driven more than a few miles before hitting the track.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Fissure Bros. were all rookies in some form.

5/6 no wheel-wheel.
1/6 never on a track.
2/6 never on Shenandoah.
6/6 never Lemons.

Not surprisingly, the guy with the wheel-wheel was the only one with any on-track incidents. Not sure who he punted, but I'll apologize on his behalf.  He won't be on the team next year.

Fissure Brothers Racing
2010 Capitol Offense Rookies

# 187 Baghdad Taxi    3/4 rookie drivers

Matt Z
Baghdad Taxi
2010 - Capitol Offense 79th place CRX hybrid (burns both gas and oil)
2010 - Longest Day 24 hour at Nelson Ledges

#45 Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

Two of us had lots of track days but no races. one was a former go-kart racer, and the last races CMC2 in NASA. This was our first Lemons race and we landed 16th overall. we're all dang happy with that.

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

1st race for team no whammies. #71. Some of us had some track time, I have shifter kart experience and some sport bike r/r time. we did do the track day on friday.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

Tiger's Wood Cougar.  First ever Lemons event.  2 driver's had no wheel to wheel experience but had done some HPDEs.  The other 2 have done some circle track dirt track racing.  We all loved the Lemons Event.  We could not believe how clean the racing was.  A++

Anti EPA Racing's Rusty Ass Cougar - Formerly Tiger's Wood PGA (Probably Gettin Ass) Racing - Harrisburg PA

Car # 350 (malibu with flames!)

2/5 rookies. 

First time with this car.  It was the car's debut!  She did alright.  She will be better in Detroit!

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

Car # !!!  & # 3, My 18 year old daughter was a rookie, I put her in the snoopy van first to scare her back to her senses. This failed because I forgot 18 year old have no common sense. She loved it and wants to race again. BTW I don't think she was our slowest driver.

It Ain't My Fault

#31 Team FSM Cardorks was a rookie team.

4/6 no wheel2wheel.
3/6 never on Shenandoah.
6/6 never Lemons.
1/1 for GeeSeR for events and events finished!

I met two of the drivers 2 days before the event.  I was a big autox-er and hadn't driven in anger in ~3 years (more like 4 years since I think I only did 2 events that year).  I hadn't been on a track in ~6-7 years.  Never been to Shenandoah.  Never been wheel2wheel.  Friday was my first time driving our car even though I spent many hours working on her and all the administration BS.  No black flags from me *phew*.  And only the one wheel2wheel guy was able to best my top lap time.  big_smile

We had to pull the head Friday night because of a cooling problem.  Thanks to our pit neighbors, Cometic/Save the Ta Tas, we had new gaskets and were ready to roll Saturday morning.  Too bad we got the tension on the timing belt wrong, so once we hit the track, the belt skipped a tooth.  We finally brought her in and also discovered a pretty significant oil leak from the cam end seals.  1.5 hours later, we were back out and running and made it to the end!  Only other mechanical was a CV joint we fixed Sunday morning.

We had a great time and would like to thank everyone!  Even that person that partially spun in front of me in turn 1 after "protecting" their position (multiple times down the back straight, between turns 17 & 18, and...), ended up facing the right way, so they gunned it to cut me off one more time in the corner.  ;-)

R'Amen!

Justin
Co-Head Pirate
#31 Team FSM Cardorks

Team 98 Scuderia Fluffball in the Fiat 128. None of us had done Lemons before and only 1 of us had done wheel to wheel racing, which he had done once before. All of us had autocrossed through! =P

The Meatwagon crew did a great job at staying out of the way. Thanks for having fun and being safe.

1985 528e Near Orbital Space Monkeys-GONE to orbit
1989 Rustang- "It's not like it's totally undriveable..."
"We came in pieces. We left in more..."

#35 Camaro, 5/5 rookies. We were dead slow all weekend, when we weren't chewing belts. Dumped 5 of 'em on the track early Saturday. I made some contact with the #12 Volvo in the first hour, then resolved to stay out of everyones way the rest of the weekend.

Turned out the crank pulley itself was coming apart, and chucking belts, we hammered it back into shape and bolted it back on, worked great all day Sunday. Special thanks to 555 Gasholes next door, and the Laughing Clown Liquor Turbo Coupe guys for the support. Great racing with all of you!

I managed to run a 2:18 lap in a car that couldn't do 60mph, which I'm proud of. We figure the computer or PROM was bad, if we get it resolved, we hope to be in South Carolina in Sept!

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

wvumtnbkr wrote:

2/5 rookies. 

First time with this car.  It was the car's debut!  She did alright.  She will be better in Detroit!

Glad you got the carb figured out! What ended up being the problem?

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

Shallow pockets racing (157, the BP Golf) was 4/4 rookies. All have a few years autox experience, no wheel to wheel, no hpdes, no nothin. Had a lot of fun and tried to stay out of the way. Sorry if we got in anyone's way - I tried to point by/let by the really fast cars when I was out. Definitely like to get some more seat time before our next event, but had a blast! Thanks everyone for being good out there.

Shallow Pockets Racing, aka the newbies in the BP-themed Golf
-Summit Point 2010, 29/86, 0 mechanical problems - "Are you sure it's a VW?"

#79 Pimpalicous caddilac

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

We were  a rookie team - I was curious to see the company we had smile

555 Gasholes.  We had a great time, and plans are being made to do a race on the West coast later this year, and possibly a southern race.  Not only were we a 5/6 rookie team but we had not meet each other in person until the Friday of the race.  We'd talked with each other on-line, and pooled our resources and knowledge on-line to get the car done, and it was great to meet the guys after years on chatting on-line.  3 guys prepped the car - and none of them raced it.  Those at Summit won't be at the West coast race, but the guys there will be from the same online group.

Watching guys that had never meet before form a team was something I'll always remember.  Saturday afternoon we replaced the clutch, front calipers and front sway bar links - in 90 minutes.  We lost 40 laps because of that - but oh well that's racing.  I don't think doing a gas fill and driver change in 3 minutes was too bad either, but I could be biased wink

1 of our 6 drivers had experience - driving Indy Lights.  The other 5 of us .... none, zip, nadda, although we had all watched motor racing on TV wink.  I didn't even have experience driving a left-hand drive stick shift - so Friday I got some practice in smile - but 20 years ago I raced moto-X.

#31 - we really are good about the tap/shunt you gave us.  Honestly.  Contacting us went a LONG way with us.  Our team manager has written back and we hope to see you on track in the future.   But you still owe us a beer or beverage TBD wink  It's racing - stuff happens - but doing the right thing to admit an opps - that's the best attitude to have smile

#35 - we were watching you guys all weekend.  We didn't have any parts to help and all we could do was wish you guys the best of luck every time you left the pits.  You guys just ... didn't ... give ... up ... all ... weekend.  No matter what you guys had tossed at you you repaired and kept going.  You were there for the checked flag - way to go !!

Schumacher Taxi Service - thank you for leaving us our door handles as promised when you went past - which was often.

#505 - thanks for the front caliper - we ended up getting 2 and returned yours - but thanks for giving it us.

I'm just glad I didn't get in anyone's way, and that I didn't suck as much as I thought I was going to.  I think my best lap was a 2:08.

Will I do this again ..... I don't know ...... but it sure was fun !!!

#55 rookie team, I built the car myself, and have only one time HPDE and autocross experience in the 90's

One driver was a Summit Point local driving instructor,

One had zero experience

One was a Panoz Driving School graduate

One has lots of track day experience and writes for Panorama

It seems our team was split in half between ones who were "racing" and ones who were learning the event for future races.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

gtopat wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

2/5 rookies. 

We think it is the power steering.  When you crank the wheel over in a high load corner, teh engine dies.  It will drop about 400 rom just turning the wheel in the pits.

We had to left foot brake all day on both days to avoid the situation.

We will figure it out by Detroit in Oct.

Rob

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

24 (edited by sbarton 2010-06-28 05:58 PM)

Duct Tape Motorsports.  3rd race for the car.  3/6 of the drivers were new to Lemons, but none were new to racing.  3 are HPDE driving instructors and the other 3 are advanced drivers.  None of us had been to Shennendoah before.  Half of the team met for the first time Friday morning.  It was cool to see everyone jump right in.  We had to swap the transmission Sat night that kept us up to 4:30am and everyone pitched in to help.  A good time was had by all, and one of the new guys is even talking about building his own Lemons car foir the Southern races.  smile

-Scott

Scott Barton

wvumtnbkr wrote:
gtopat wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:

2/5 rookies. 

We think it is the power steering.  When you crank the wheel over in a high load corner, teh engine dies.  It will drop about 400 rom just turning the wheel in the pits.

We had to left foot brake all day on both days to avoid the situation.

We will figure it out by Detroit in Oct.

Rob

Replace the SBX w/ a manual box from a base model S10 and use the lower stub off the S10 column.

Problem solved.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...