Re: Rookie Teams at Summit

TrackDaze of Thunder #51

we're a rookie race team but not rookie drivers wink

we run education-based HPDE events on the east coast as TrackDaze (schedule here), including twice a year on Shenandoah. 4/6 had no wheel-wheel experience (including myself; not counting open-passing in our Instructor group since it's non-competitive). 5/6 have instructed students at our events. our least experienced driver has attended only a few HPDE events but has lots of karting and drifting. so yeah, starting at -15 laps was somewhat expected. some might say we should have finished higher than 24th but we made some rookie racing mistakes (4/6 black flags; too many driver changes) and will look to return at CMP in Sept. with a two-car effort.

thanks to the Gasholes for tagging our car overnight. our team boss wasn't happy but i laughed at the "assroots Motorsports" stickers.

TrackDaze of Thunder

your car was tagged?

Doug I wrote:

your car was tagged?

as in graffiti. shame on us for leaving it uncovered overnight.

TrackDaze of Thunder

FJ40Jim wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote:
gtopat wrote:

Glad you got the carb figured out! What ended up being the problem?

We think it is the power steering.  When you crank the wheel over in a high load corner, teh engine dies.  It will drop about 400 rom just turning the wheel in the pits.

We had to left foot brake all day on both days to avoid the situation.

We will figure it out by Detroit in Oct.

Rob

Replace the SBX w/ a manual box from a base model S10 and use the lower stub off the S10 column.

Problem solved.

The only problem with that is the ratio.  We are already busier than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest with the ratio we have.  I am trying to find a way to change teh power box into a manual box.  I would prefer to not just loop the lines.  I think I can take it apart and remove any seals that may cause friction and fill it with synthetic grease.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

The volvo I drove had a manual rack.  4.5 turns lock to lock.  The feel and effort required is great, but it's REALLY slow.  Harder to catch the car when it steps out.  A power rack for the car would be 3.5 lock to lock, but our car owner decided it wasn't worth the power loss to drive the pump since we only have about 100whp.  I tend to agree, and the manual rack wasn't a real issue for us.

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

#9 saturn elmo's revenge

I guess you can call us rookies....
last year at Stafford we blew up on lap 5
swapped engines after we trailered back to New York
ran for 1 1/2 on sunday and blew up again.....
Not all of us even got in the car.

Manny