Topic: Why no pickups

Is there some missing rule about not using say a Ranger pickup?

I am also trying to get Jay to approve a 1967 Silver Shadow.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Why no pickups

We considered a Dakota-based thing briefly. I kind of wondered about what appeared to be an absence of trucks.

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering

No rear end weight + RWD =  lots-o-tire smoke.....

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

So a ranger with lead weights.....

Not going to do the rolls.  The engine is easy, the brakes are crazy expensive.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

There has been a couple pickups in CA: Guud Humor ice cream truck Ford ranger with one awesome overkill cage (looked like it could do baja too), the road crew had a full size chevy pickup at Reno last year and if i recall did quite well.  They smartly replaced the saddle bag gas tanks with a fuel cell accessed from the bed with a clever washing machine lid cover.  those guys were awesome.  there have been a couple others that do just as well/poorly as any other "racecars".

There's been at least one at CMP.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

there was a toyota at houston with two rear axles, and another one at slidell with zebra stripes

some Texas races has had a yellow ranger "Crapsman truck" before. CMP's had a Nissan Hardbody pickup several times, the Toledo race in 08 had what should be the famous 80s S10/S15 Team "FIRST BLOOD" with fake tandem axles and the only vehicle ever to win both People's Choice/People's Curse.  I THINK there was at least 1 pickup at Nelson Ledges and there was a later 90s (94-00) S10 at Gingerman this year that was horrifying handling. So really, there's no rule, unwritten or otherwise AGAINST pickups, they just simply aren't a popular choice for a few obvious handling reasons.

As noted above, there have been quite a few compact pickups: HiLux, Ranger, S-10, Nissan. And of course the full-size Snoopy van. But have there been any full-size (F-150/C-1500 etc.) pickups? If it's weight distribution that's the problem, you can always go trophy-truck style and relocate the engine in front of the rear axle...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I know there's been ONE fullsize. i think it was an 80's C/K1500 shortbed. there were a couple people commenting at the time it looked way too nice to be had for Lemons money. I think it was at a Thunderhill race last year? not really clear on it. I personally would love to do a 97-03 F150 lowered to the ground and lotsa aero body work a la Pikes Peak hillclimb truck.

11 (edited by maassauto 2010-06-28 06:59 AM)

I'm the guy behind the orange Road Crew C10 Chevy truck.  I assure you that it's not really that nice in person.  It's a retired highway department truck that was wrecked hard on the side and sold for junk at auction.  It took 2 other parts trucks to get this one going and we've stayed on budget by selling off lots of leftovers.  There's lots of rednecks here in colorado in need of old Chevy truck parts!  So far it's been a great racer.  It's a little light in the rear but it's very drivable if you use the gas pedal for steering.  We'll be running the Denver race and look forward to the 2 hour tow instead of the 16 hour tow we had to Reno last year.  You can watch a video on YouTube.  Enter "The Road Crew Lemons"

We've had quite a few Lemons pickups. In addition to the Road Crew C10, we've seen at least 3 Toyotas, a few Rangers, a Nissan or two, etc. There's at least one V8 S10 in the works that I know of.

I was going to run an S10 till my GF decided to wreck her car.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Shvd_Box wrote:

She was driving an S10?

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The Road Crew Chevy is either faster than it looks, is well driven, or both.....from a Fiero, the  bottom of the bed looks about chin-level, as I recall...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

mackwagon wrote:
Shvd_Box wrote:

She was driving an S10?

No, she had a civic that found its way under an F150

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters