Topic: Yeehaw should change venue

Gator-O-Rama can stay in MSR for fall, when it is mostly dry in Angleton.
I think Yeehaw should be a spring time race at Texas World Speedway.

MSR is nice, but flat. Give us some elevation changes.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Re: Yeehaw should change venue

Aside from Gator-O-Rama being Feb and Yee-Haw being Sept, I think most participants would really like to race TWS.

I'm not sure if the insurance companies are scared or if Jay and Crew have some reason, like safety, to avoid TWS.

Pretty much everyone I know around here really likes TWS.

That said, Eagles Canyon has plenty of elevation changes.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

+1 for TWS would be wayyyyyyyyyyyyy fun.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Biiiiig concrete walls + newby drivers + 100 crapcans == ??

Scud.Ig wrote:

Biiiiig concrete walls + newby drivers + 100 crapcans == ??

Exactly....

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Isn't there a 2 mile track configuration that doesn't involve the bank and wall?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I like the MSR track and people - always a good race, but a good alternate track with elevation changes and still in the central Texas area would be the new track in San Marcos - Harris Hill Road. http://www.harrishillroad.com/

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz

Skid McSpinout wrote:

I like the MSR track and people - always a good race, but a good alternate track with elevation changes and still in the central Texas area would be the new track in San Marcos - Harris Hill Road. http://www.harrishillroad.com/

HHR is waaaaay bumpy, and getting worse. These cars would shake to pieces. From what I hear, there are plans to fix it soon.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Isn't there a 2 mile track configuration that doesn't involve the bank and wall?

The 2.9mi. course does not have any banking or walls. Well the front straight is a little banked but that doesn't count. You would have to be way out of control to hit a wall at TWS. Not that it can't happen, I've seen it happen twice. Both times it was at the exit of turn 15 on to the front straight.

I doubt that Lemons will go to TWS. They have a history with MSRH and if Misty hasn't been able to get them go run TWS by now, it's probably not gonna happen.

What about the other Motorsports Ranch south west of Fort Worth. I haven't been out there, but it looks like a good track and they have a 3.1 miles configuration that would be good for a larger field.

http://www.motorsportranch.com/index.cfm

86 Honda Prelube - Team Inspite: Rabid Hybrid Racing

11 (edited by rickerbr 2010-06-30 07:42 AM)

thomasfoolary wrote:

What about the other Motorsports Ranch south west of Fort Worth. I haven't been out there, but it looks like a good track and they have a 3.1 miles configuration that would be good for a larger field.

http://www.motorsportranch.com/index.cfm

MSR doesn't have a lot of paddock space. Track is nice, however its booked mostly by club DEs etc. Several years ago (early 2000s) the track owner bragged that the first open date was 3 years in the future.

Wouldn't mind going there as I've probably got more laps there than I do at ECR and MSR is less of a HP track than ECR.

I suspect Lemons will be at ECR as long as they want to be. David and Linda Cook (the owners) are hooked.

Other tracks in this part of the country that Lemons could go to are TMS (which is fast with lots of walls), Hallett in Oklahoma (1.7 very technical), Memphis Motorsports Park and Heartland Park Topeka. Chumpcar is having/had events TMS and Hallett.

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

I have run the long road track at TWS. I think it was the 2.9 mile. Its very fast coming off the banking at the end of the straight. I hit 170 mph ( obviously not a Lemons car) the same car maxed out at 130 on MSR.
But its a great track and would be fun. I don't think Jay would have any problem filling it, the Houston events seem to be well attended.
Regards
Paul

I guess my point was: we have options for tracks. There is no reason to run the same track twice in 1 year.

There is no reason to run the same track twice in 1 year.

I agree. Personally, I loved ECR and would run it 3 times in a year if that's what was scheduled, but I also like the idea of doing three different races at three different Texas venues.

86 Honda Prelube - Team Inspite: Rabid Hybrid Racing

There is no reason to run the same track twice in 1 year.

I would (and have) go to CMP everytime they hold a race there.  The track is nice but the facilities are great.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I am ok with two races in Houston, but bump one of the New Orleans races for Hallet or TWS or something.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

I'd be all for adding a race or bumping one of the NO or Angleton races to MSR in Cresson. Although I'd love to run the full 3.1 course, that high speed downhill section out by the highway would probably be a non-starter for Lemons. But even the shorter course is fun and has some great elevation changes. Not as dramatic as ECR, but still fun. There would be plenty of paddock space at MSR if you used that enormous skidpad and grid area for paddock too. It would be at least big enough for an 80 car field.

Jay's said in the past (Yahoo group?) that they've considered Hallet in the past but that the big problem there is that all the track infrastructure is on the infield but there's no infield access while cars are on the track. You can't shut down an endurance race every hour or two so that folks can get in and out.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

18 (edited by rickerbr 2010-06-30 10:29 AM)

Yes, Hallett is an island, which makes going out during the race to make a parts run an issue. I ran a 6hr Enduro years ago there and you are pretty much stuck. There have been plans to add a vehicle bridge there for years, but it's never happened.

MSR - I don't see the downhill section of the 3.1 as the big problem there (speeds would not get higher than the 7->8 straight at ECR), the larger problem is the amount of speed you can carry into ricochet on the combined track. There have been some serious accidents there in high hp stuff (which I grant you the typical LeMon is not, but it's still a concern). Rattlesnake with the typical Lemons traffic jam could get interesting....

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

I think two races a year at MSRH is great. Rather than take one away, just add another race to the schedule for TWS.  I wouldn't mind another in the Gulf coast area.

Team Apex Vinyl: 1977 Toyota Truck
Gator-O-Rama 2009 Dangerous Banned Technology
Yee-Haw 2011 Index Of Effluency
Gator-O-Rama 2012 I Got Screwed

The Gulf Coast region is up to 5 races for 2010. 

Unfortunately, the turn out for No Problem declined from 2009. 

No Problem has a nice paddock and plans for a new road or improved road course.  It's a good haul for many of the Texas teams.  From Houston it's a bit long but for Dallas, San Antonio or Austin it's quite long.  I think Eagles Canyon probably hurt the attendance for No Problem.

MSRH is a large event for Lemons. 

Eagles Canyon was well attended and the track and paddock can probably support 100+ car field.

I don't want to discourage No Problem but it is the least attended Gulf Coast event.  The drive may be a hindering factor but teams can also only afford to do so many races.

So replacing a No Problem race with a Texas race might work. 

I am sure a lot of people would jump at the chance to race TWS if Lemons decided to do it.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

The Gulf Coast region is up to 5 races for 2010. 

Unfortunately, the turn out for No Problem declined from 2009. 

No Problem has a nice paddock and plans for a new road or improved road course.  It's a good haul for many of the Texas teams.  From Houston it's a bit long but for Dallas, San Antonio or Austin it's quite long.  I think Eagles Canyon probably hurt the attendance for No Problem.

MSRH is a large event for Lemons. 

Eagles Canyon was well attended and the track and paddock can probably support 100+ car field.

I don't want to discourage No Problem but it is the least attended Gulf Coast event.  The drive may be a hindering factor but teams can also only afford to do so many races.

So replacing a No Problem race with a Texas race might work. 

I am sure a lot of people would jump at the chance to race TWS if Lemons decided to do it.

The distance from north texas to NPR is a big factor, along with the track surface iteslf. We have to plan three days off work, and a new set of tires for NPR. I like the track, but anything short of a brand new set of tires wont cut it for that surface, it is just too abrasive. We have run several races at MSR and ECR and dont run through tires in 4 races that we do one at NPR. All in all, it makes that race a lot more costly than any of the other gulf coast events.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

No Problem is getting a totaly new road course. Separate from the drag strip. Even the entrance will be different from where it is now. Yes it's a long drive and the current surface eats tires. I'll go back when it's redone, you can't beat the people or the food. The seafood might not be available after the BP disaster.

I think putting NPR on the radar of interest for anyone in Texas is kinda odd.

From Houston, with truck/trailer, its an honest 4-5 hours down i10 then thru a bunch of little odd backroads between crappy towns that are somehow still segregated.  I used to make that drive a lot back in the day, and it totally sucks with a truck/trailer.  Anyone outside of Houston its even longer.

TWS is centrally located, is seriously 10 minutes outside of College Station, which has more than enough hotels/stuff to support A&M, plus BCS is just awesome.  The paddock space is HUGE, its a legit racetrack.

Seriously, lets go.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

I love HHR but if you think paddock space at MSR is small, there's hardly any at all @ HHR.  A teammate when to the chump car race at TMS and said it was fun, have not seen the video yet.

----------
Scott
Speed Racer Mach5 Mustang
Houston TX

rickerbr wrote:

Memphis Motorsports Park.

Closed it's doors about a year ago. The pits are also infield.