Topic: Sweet new Lemons

Got a 2000 Ford Contour SVT for a whopping 500 bucks.  God bless crackheads.  I have loved these cars and actually feel sorta bad turning it into a lemon.

Team pimpalicous is back, although no caddy this time.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Sweet new Lemons

I had to drive my grandma's Contour around for a while some years ago, it wouldn't do 45mph if you dropped it off the empire state building. I assume the SVT version will do 55 on a good day?

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

The svt did 0-60 in 6.2 sec and was limited to 144.  It was a speedy little rocket.  It used the 2.6l duratec with a ton of svt tuning.  Those guys knew how to build fast cars.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

Don't feel bad, that car was born a LeMon.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Which company do you think I would have the most luck getting a pre-fab cage from?

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

I can just see the conversation now:

"Thank you for calling Auto-Power, how may I help you?"

"Yes, do you all make a pre-fab cage for a 2000 Ford Contour?"

"Ha ha ha ha ha ha ... <long pause> ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... <long pause> ... That was great. But seriously, how can I help you?"

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Actually a lot of the svt contours are used as track day cars and were the preferred car at Bondurant back in the day.  A lot of folks are putting 3l duratec's in them now.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:

Got a 2000 Ford Contour SVT for a whopping 500 bucks.  God bless crackheads.  I have loved these cars and actually feel sorta bad turning it into a lemon.

Team pimpalicous is back, although no caddy this time.

If the engine will last(not likely) that will be a good Lemons car. Heat will be the killer.

Eric Subliminal racing #711 e30
11 detroit dnf, 11 autobahn 4th, 12 detroit 2nd, 12 autobahn 1st
Rip #71 crx killed at autobahn 2010. 10 smt pt, 10 bull gp,10 rod b. smashed

bigds01 wrote:

Actually a lot of the svt contours are used as track day cars and were the preferred car at Bondurant back in the day.

Not disagreeing with you, just sayin' most pre-fab cage builders won't have a cage designed for it.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

A Contour SVT is a baby SHO. Better handling with about the same HP. The only fault I know is they starve for oil on high G turns. Can't remember if it's left or right turns. I'm sure there's a fix for it. Overfill the crankcase right?

bigds01 wrote:

Which company do you think I would have the most luck getting a pre-fab cage from?

3 hours to get here, a day to put a custom cage in, you can take it home that night or the next day. 

Just sayin'

--Rob

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

bigds01 wrote:

Actually a lot of the svt contours are used as track day cars and were the preferred car at Bondurant back in the day.

That's not quite accurate.  Bondurant tried to use them as instructor cars to replace the aging SHO fleet, but they couldn't keep transmissions in them for more than a few hours.  As far as I know, the experiment lasted only a few weeks.  They were also way too small in the backseat with the cage in place.  Bondurant quickly asked for Crown Vics with manuals to replace them.  Right after that, however, they signed a contract with GM and switched to Cadillac CTS instructor cars.  Due to the contract timing, I don't believe the Crown Vis were used much, if at all.

SVT Contours were wonderful track cars, but couldn't hold up to instructor abuse in 120° heat.  The SHOs would take a serious beating without breaking.  Keep in mind that the instructors had to push their FWD sedans fast enough to stay in front of track-prepped Mustang GTs.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

RobL wrote:
bigds01 wrote:

3 hours to get here, a day to put a custom cage in, you can take it home that night or the next day. 

Just sayin'

--Rob

We can vouch for the quality of one of his cages.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

sergio wrote:

A Contour SVT is a baby SHO. Better handling with about the same HP. The only fault I know is they starve for oil on high G turns. Can't remember if it's left or right turns. I'm sure there's a fix for it. Overfill the crankcase right?

left turns. when i was working car sales we took one on trade and it was gorgeous inside, immaculately clean and ran well...til i drove it down to the end of the cul de sac and whipped it around the radius & the engine cut out...

Rob will be doing our next cage.

There are some ideas about how to solve the oiling problem and they are all lemon-rific

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible