Topic: Fuel cell

I am in the process of mounting our fuel cell but here is my problem.  I bought a Jazz cell with roll over valve and AN fittings  I am planning on coming out of the cell with stainless tubing and then mating it to steel line. So I can adapt it to a stock mechanical fuel pump   The motor I have is Ford windsor 3.8 in  No one makes a mechanical pump with fittings for this engine. I could do an electric fuel pump but that would totally blow my 500 dollar car budget.   Any suggestions  ?

John

www.bucketlistracing.org

Re: Fuel cell

Just stick any old 12v fuel pump on there. If you have the appropriate fittings AT ALL you should damn well be able to build any adapters you might find necessary.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Why AN fittings? if you're drawing the fuel with a mechanical pump, there are no pressure issues...AN makes sense if you have an in-tank pump and pressurized lines, but you can use the steel lines with plain rubber fuel hose and barbed connectors...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

kind of a gray area , it could be a safety item or not

It generally should be part of the overall cost of a running car, but, on a carburetor car its just delivering the fuel to the carb (which is the engine performance controlling device) so it could be part of the "safety" portion of the fuel system, and thus not under the $500 limit rule.

On a fuel injected car, if you upgraded the pump to provide greater pressure, it would be performance enhancing and thus would fall under the $500 limit.

these pumps can be found for less than $40, here is one at Summit Racing for $36

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PFS-10700/

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

There are millions of car sitting in junkyards that have low pressure electric pumps, go snag on for $10 and be done with it.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

look for a taurus/sable unit. be sure to get the pressure regulator that goes with it.

Thanks for the advice  I will certainly check out the summit racing electric pump and taurus options.  I am starting with AN hardware because that is what the fuel cells have I am starting with 8AN and reducing to 6AN than further reducing to 3/8 steel line and then to 5/16 rubber to the pump. If that samll electric pump works I could reduce to smaller line right at the cell     Thanks again Any other suggestions?

John
www.bucketlistracing.org