1 (edited by RobL 2010-07-03 09:39 AM)

Topic: Interest in a Pre-Tech day before Lemons New England???

I'm going to float this out there...  Tech is has been scrutineering cages and welds harder than in the past.  If there is enough interest, I can host a pre-tech day during which I can go over your car, look at the cage, welds, firewall, electrical, etc. and recommend changes/fixes that will help you get through tech.  Tech is going to be the morning of the race so you do not have the luxury of wrenching and welding through the night to make changes to your cage or wiring to comply with the tech rules. 

Due to my limited schedule...  This day would have to be during the week one day.  If there is interest, let me know by posting here.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Re: Interest in a Pre-Tech day before Lemons New England???

We'd be game on Friday certainly.

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix

3 (edited by RobL 2010-07-03 05:07 PM)

Alfaholic wrote:

We'd be game on Friday certainly.

There is no Friday per-se.  The gates to the track aren't going to be open until Saturday morning.  Most teams aren't going to be up there until sometime Friday night or Saturday morning.  I don't know when I'm going to be up there yet...  Given that tech is only 2.5 hours long, that doesn't give you a lot of time to get things fixed if you roll up to tech and parts of your cage need to be rewelded or your entire exhaust needs to be rebuilt.

What I'm suggesting is that, if there is enough interest, I can make myself available to be at a central location one day during the week (Tuesday to Thursday) the week before the event or earlier to look over your cars if you think that you might not pass or the only people to see your is car have been your lousy bunch of shadetree mechanics who thought it would be a good idea to try this racing thing...  My object here is to make sure that tech at the event runs smooth and we can process the cars that come through.  I'm helping with tech up there along with a few other guys from The Schumacher Taxi Service.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Rob,

We'd certainly like to take advantage of your offer if there's enough interest to make it work.  We're in Westchester County, NY so we could work location most anywhere in between your location and Stafford... let's see who else might express interest.

Thanks,
Tom

Scuderia Regurgito  '75 Fiat 131, '93 e36
2010 Stafford: Winner, class ugly  2011 NJMP: Organizer's Choice and violently exploded gearbox
2011 Stafford: Most From the Least, 2012 NJMP: Shockingly issue free, 2012 Loudon: Rod thru block
2012 Hooptiefest: Multiple spun bearings, 2013 Monticello: Head gaskets, 2013 Loudon: More head gaskets, 2013 NJMP, 2013 Hooptiefest, 2014 NJMPx2 and Heroic Fix

stafford only has like 10 (probably more) acres of ungated parking area if someone wanted to officiate that sorta thing on friday

i'd rather watch the modified race on friday anyway

Alfaholic wrote:

Rob,

We'd certainly like to take advantage of your offer if there's enough interest to make it work.  We're in Westchester County, NY so we could work location most anywhere in between your location and Stafford... let's see who else might express interest.

Thanks,
Tom

westchester?  i didn't know there was another team that close to me...i'm in rockland...i assume by the name you are one of the alfa teams

Rob L

I would be interested in this and could  offer a spot to host on my farm in Sturbridge MA

John

Wow, more NY teams! I'm in Brooklyn.

No need for a tech help for us (we passed at Summit Pt last month without too much trouble). But the pre-tech offer is very nice of you Rob.

nut_job_jeff wrote:

Wow, more NY teams! I'm in Brooklyn.

No need for a tech help for us (we passed at Summit Pt last month without too much trouble). But the pre-tech offer is very nice of you Rob.

you guys keep selling off your cars and starting fresh enough times, i'd hope you'd have tech down by now...

Ha, yeah. I like selling them for a monster loss at the end of each race!

New England '10 will be our first time re-using a car (and I wish we sold this one while at Summit Pt.. anemic 91 Civic wagon giving us the most engine troubles we've ever had).

How often does a car pass at one race and fail the next?  We passed our first tech inspection at Summit with no issues but it was a really rushed inspection and I'm concerned they will be harsher on us at Stafford.  Or maybe they noticed that we knew how to read rules and follow them and decided that busting our balls on the car choice was more fun.

30 entries since 2009
#39 & #53 Overengineer'd Racing - Wilton, NH
http://www.facebook.com/nhlemons

n0m4d wrote:

How often does a car pass at one race and fail the next?  We passed our first tech inspection at Summit with no issues but it was a really rushed inspection and I'm concerned they will be harsher on us at Stafford.  Or maybe they noticed that we knew how to read rules and follow them and decided that busting our balls on the car choice was more fun.

Actually it's only started happening recently. the last 2 events we attended (Gingerman then Summit) have had progressively more aggressive/nitpicking Tech inspections, with Summit being -THE- most strict inspectors at any event we've attended. this was our car's 4th race and needed an update, Even Speedycop's T-bird having run 6 previous events on that machine with no problems had a tech failure and wound up having to spot-check welds. If this trend continues, then Rob is offering one hell of a service.

PS- Summit also happens to be the very first time I saw tech guys drilling inspection holes and testing for wall thickness of cages, so you smarty-pants types who have been running under-spec cages better shape up!

12 (edited by RobL 2010-07-09 07:13 AM)

Like I mentioned above, my team (Schumacher Taxi Service) and I are going to head up there and help out with Tech and other things...  I'm only going to be as aggressive as I'm told to be.  But I'll say this - I've seen some welds (incomplete, cold welded, bad penetration), cage designs, crimped bends, etc. that have passed that I wouldn't want to trust my life to in the event of an incident.  If that is the stick to which I'm told to measure safety (my best judgement and would I sit in that seat and roll the car/hit a wall/get T-boned), then Stafford might even be more strict. 

The second part of this is, of course, that if I get to see a car and know that it passed my inspection before it gets to me at Stafford, it will breeze through tech and that team can get on with the business of racing earlier than other teams.

Just curious, what is the standard procedure for testing the kill switch?

30 entries since 2009

n0m4d wrote:

Turn the car on, rev to 4000 RPM and then the inspectors hit the kill switch.  Your car needs to stop pretty much immediately.

As an FYI - Since there was only two teams interested in doing this, I didn't take off from work any extra days and won't be pre-inspecting anything until the race.

mikedeck wrote:
n0m4d wrote:

Turn the car on, rev to 4000 RPM and then the inspectors hit the kill switch.  Your car needs to stop pretty much immediately.

OK, thanks.  At Summit they flicked our switch off then immediately back on while at 4000 rpm.  The car sputtered and came back to life and they seemed a little dissapointed with that.  They tried again, just shutting it off and the car shut off so they let us pass.  I thought it was a little odd, but it was our first time so I didn't know any better.

30 entries since 2009