Re: Yee-Haw It's Damned Hot Houston in September: Who's In?

I'll be there as 'the tech guy'  please read the rules and read also the common tech failures in the tech forums...     Lets get through tech with a minimum of headaches,   please.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

I'll be there as 'the tech guy'  please read the rules and read also the common tech failures in the tech forums...     Lets get through tech with a minimum of headaches,   please.

We're looking for an original Corvair steering wheel for added safety

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Evil Genius wrote:

It is nice to have some kind of tech at the races that is the same. It seems inevitable that each track seems to want something different than the others.

How much of the safety tech is Lemons and how much is the track? I assume that Lemons rules are a guide, since the track makes the final call?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

It is nice to have some kind of tech at the races that is the same. It seems inevitable that each track seems to want something different than the others.

How much of the safety tech is Lemons and how much is the track? I assume that Lemons rules are a guide, since the track makes the final call?

It looks like Lemons is making an effort to have more consistency in Tech.  I understand the frustrations of the subjectivity.

I have asked/suggested a Pre-Tech opportunity in the past which is starting to happen.  It is Un-Official but Dave in Houston is offering a Pre-Tech check for the upcoming MSR race.  You'll still have to pass tech at the race but he'll give you pointers.

In the past and probably currently, Lemons has used track staff/officials to help with Tech.  For the most part, I believe tech is a Lemons thing.  I am sure if there is an obvious oversight which the track catches, they have a say.  In the end no matter who runs tech, it probably boils down to insurance requirements.

Insurance is kinda funny though.  Notice how Lemons is one of the few sanctioning bodies which does not require window nets.  We race on many of the same tracks the SCCA and NASA do but without required window nets.  Jay has said they help in a roll over but get in the way in a fire.  We've had rollovers and no lost arms.

ERW versus DOM tubing is another example.

I am glad they are working to have more consistency with Tech.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

It looks like Lemons is making an effort to have more consistency in Tech.  I understand the frustrations of the subjectivity.

Not only are they addressing that concern, but they're doing a good job at it. It's going more quickly and it's tons more consistent (and hopefully resulting in safer cars). Last year, tech at Nelson Ledges was a far cry different (and way, way slower) than it was at Houston. The tech guy working our car at NL kept telling us things that we could do better -- not failures, just stuff to do better in the future like double-hanging the muffler in case one of the mounts broke off. We got through the first time with zero fails but it was monumentally frustrating.

This year, tech has been nothing like that. It's been great all around.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Troy wrote:

Not only are they addressing that concern, but they're doing a good job at it. It's going more quickly and it's tons more consistent (and hopefully resulting in safer cars). Last year, tech at Nelson Ledges was a far cry different (and way, way slower) than it was at Houston. The tech guy working our car at NL kept telling us things that we could do better -- not failures, just stuff to do better in the future like double-hanging the muffler in case one of the mounts broke off. We got through the first time with zero fails but it was monumentally frustrating.

This year, tech has been nothing like that. It's been great all around.

I agree with that.

We had an issue with the Miatastang that was frustrating: the seat had holes for the harness to go through that were situated lower than the tech guy wanted them to be, so the belts would come in and have to go up slightly with a taller driver. It is something that we didnt look at and notice, but could be an issue in a roll. We moved the the sholder belts over the top part of the seat, and then strapped them around a differnt spreader that we have, making the distance between the harness bar and the back of the seat farther, reducing the angle to level. The original setup has been run 3 times at MSR, and once at NPR, without issue, and with the fix, we should be 100% safe and within the rulebook. We were told that even after the fix, if they (track officials) saw a tall(er) driver in the car, we would have to immediately take BOTH cars off the track and send us home for the weekend.

I didnt totally understand, but we had our smaller drivers in that car anyway, so it wasnt a big deal. Still frustrating.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

First timer here, what time should I show up if I want a good spot?

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Thursday.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

T-Money645 wrote:

First timer here, what time should I show up if I want a good spot?

Agreed for thursday.  Both races there we were relegated to the back of the very cramped paddock even though we got there 4 hours earlier the second time.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

btp76 wrote:

Thursday.

Slightly disagree. We got there early on Friday morning (after the gates opened but before test/tune, probably around 7:30ish) both races last year and we got a fine spot. If you can't get there on Thursday, it's not the end of the world.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Wednesday!

We are in! Looking forward to going back to a handling track instead of 'hp rules' ECR.

Team Operation

robertm wrote:

Looking forward to going back to a handling track instead of 'hp rules' ECR.

Or, for you guys, one with an easier to distinguish "pit in" and "pit out."

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

YesIFit wrote:
robertm wrote:

Looking forward to going back to a handling track instead of 'hp rules' ECR.

Or, for you guys, one with an easier to distinguish "pit in" and "pit out."

Whatever dude.  That's only funny because its true!!

Team Operation

Team Unintended Acceleration will be back with our Audi 90 (you know, the one facing backwards).  :-)

We also heard Johnny and Phil loud and clear when they "suggested" we bring another Audi as a second team car.  So this race we've entered our second team as Unintended Conflagration...in another Audi 90 that was burned in a fire.  Let's hope we can get it running and safe again.

Looking forward to seeing you all again after missing the Spring Houston race.

-Ryan

Team Unintended Acceleration
2008 YeeHaw It's Texas Lemons
2009 Gator-O-Rama Texas Lemons
2009 YeeHaw It's Texas Lemons

Just paid up on the entry fees, so I guess it is the point of no return for us.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Just paid up on the entry fees, so I guess it is the point of no return for us.

Bring me some MONEYZ!

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

We're paid up too. Hotel room booked. Car is mostly ready.

Got three 12-packs of bribe beer and a team t-shirt, to try to minimize the penalty laps we are gonna get from the Hooptie win.

44 (edited by rickerbr 2010-07-17 03:22 PM)

We'll be there. Paid up. Spent today looking over the car (hadn't been touched since unloaded off the trailer from Hooptie). We're set to have all 5 forward gears and even Reverse this time around.....

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

sergio wrote:

We're paid up too. Hotel room booked. Car is mostly ready.

Got three 12-packs of bribe beer and a team t-shirt, to try to minimize the penalty laps we are gonna get from the Hooptie win.

Have you considered a good theme?

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Hey guys, no one has responded to a pre tech for the Houston Race.  Would like to know by July 31 if anyone is interested.
Thanks
David

Union Jack is in we are bringing the MGB. We have a "new" engine for it a 3.4 V6 Chevy. As usual we have left it to the last minute to get it installed. We test fitted it though and got the gear stick to come out the right hole so I am optimistic.

" See y'all there"

cheers
Paul

In.  Now I just need to figure out who's driving.  Have a pool of like 7 guys and they're all wanting in on the one after this event now...ugh.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

In.  Now I just need to figure out who's driving.  Have a pool of like 7 guys and they're all wanting in on the one after this event now...ugh.

I got a crap load of "Oh I can't drive in this race, but I'll come support the team!  Next race I'm totally in!"

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

komododave wrote:
mikespeed95 wrote:

I got a crap load of "Oh I can't drive in this race, but I'll come support the team!  Next race I'm totally in!"

Tell them, save the drama for your mama! When it's time to put up or shut up, there's all kinds of excuses, but they are always going to race in "the next one." Sure........and the Easter Bunny will be there too.

It's hard to find people that are serious about racing.