Topic: ghetto supercharger

I can get over 700 cfm with 2 leaf blowers - but it's kind of loud.  Not sure how to get the fuel/air mix right without using a pyrometer in the exhaust manifold.  It has a carb.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Re: ghetto supercharger

700 cfm at what pressure?

i'll get back to you on that.  I have to test it and find out.

squidbreath wrote:

I can get over 700 cfm with 2 leaf blowers - but it's kind of loud.  Not sure how to get the fuel/air mix right without using a pyrometer in the exhaust manifold.  It has a carb.

2leaf blowers= 2 turbos= twice the reliability. smile

Read the AF mix w/ a wide band O2 sensor & gage.

Use an injection system that relies on an AF meter, that way however much air the blowers stuff in the engine, the AF meter can read it and meter fuel appropriately.

If the carb must be retained, build a pressure box around the carb, so the entire carb inside and out sees boost pressure.  Then the carb can be calibrated in a fairly normal manner.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

If the carb must be retained, build a pressure box around the carb, so the entire carb inside and out sees boost pressure.  Then the carb can be calibrated in a fairly normal manner.

You'll still have to swap to a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.

And match the fuel pump, lines and injectors to suit....if the injectors are undersized, the ECU might try to widen the event timing until it either hits the stop via the crank angle sensor, or keeps spraying well past TDC....might be a little extra thrust V1-style....

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

You really think you can get 2 leaf blowers to run for 14 hours without failure?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

8 (edited by SimplyKC 2010-07-05 02:46 PM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

You really think you can get 2 leaf blowers to run for 14 hours without failure?

This, and I could build a junkyard turbo with an intercooler for less than the price of two leaf blowers that actually run.

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

No.  They are electric.  They'll overheat and quit.

I assume it won't pass tech due to the noise.  If it does pass tech then the drivers will go insane because of the noise.  On the other hand, people are used to the world cup vuvuzela noise by now.

my ghetto charging idea starting to itch your brain? youll need something durable like a real supercharger if your serious about this. my Eaton is still avalible

m610 wrote:

700 cfm at what pressure?

It appears to be 2.1 atmospheres = 2.1 bar = 30.5 psi.

vwdmc16 wrote:

my ghetto charging idea starting to itch your brain? youll need something durable like a real supercharger if your serious about this. my Eaton is still avalible

Yes.  I'm just looking for cheap ways to get more horsepower out of this doggy 2.8 liter.  The other  car is about 10 days from being finished.  I'll have it at arse-sweat in august.  So this one is now my experimental crazy idea test mule.

there was a saab 900 next to me in the pits in new england last year with a gas leafblower FI system they made. surprisingly it spent just 70% of the race in the pits with trouble.

I think it's time for someone to rig up several junkyard turbos spun by electric motors, mounted in the trunk. That way pressure could be built up and stored in a tank (maybe a 6" steel pipe running the length of the car) during deceleration and dumped in for godlike POWAHR down the straights. You'd need some gearboxes to get the required 10 jillion RPM from the motors, but how hard could it be?

I think the leaf blowers are perfect.  Do it.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Judge Phil wrote:

I think it's time for someone to rig up several junkyard turbos spun by electric motors, mounted in the trunk. That way pressure could be built up and stored in a tank (maybe a 6" steel pipe running the length of the car) during deceleration and dumped in for godlike POWAHR down the straights. You'd need some gearboxes to get the required 10 jillion RPM from the motors, but how hard could it be?

KERS done right.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Judge Phil wrote:

I had a lawnmower motor dumped on me the other day. I think I could get it running again pretty easily. I wonder if a 5HP Briggs & Stratton would make a dent in this. Hmm.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

I had a lawnmower motor dumped on me the other day. I think I could get it running again pretty easily. I wonder if a 5HP Briggs & Stratton would make a dent in this. Hmm.

Chaparral!!!

Although, I think the origional Chaparral car had a 45hp motor to power the fans...

Nothing a turbo can't fix.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

19 (edited by wheaton56 2010-07-07 05:41 PM)

I tried a leaf blower on a volvo,

didnt work at all, it was a complete waste of time

20 (edited by TheHeckler 2010-07-07 06:11 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

Use a couple of 2 cylinder air compressors and AC clutches, belt drive them from the driveshaft.

Or if you want to get fancy, use an exhaust cutout, jake brake valve and a one way valve to the cylinder.  Then on braking open the throttle fully and kill fuel activating the exhaust dumper to the storage tank.   Computer controlled Jake-Brake forced induction KERS on a Lemons budget, what could go wrong...

Lets see, 600CFM at 15PSI for 10 seconds is 100FT^2  at 15 PSI or 10 FT^2 at 150 PSI, that's not too large of an air tank, only 75 gallons...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

Lets see, 600CFM at 15PSI for 10 seconds is 100FT^2  at 15 PSI or 10 FT^2 at 150 PSI, that's not too large of an air tank, only 75 gallons...

Don't use an air tank, use an old Argon bottle.

Although, if you're doing this to save fuel, it would be easier to just run a relay from the brake switch to the injectors to stop fuel consumption during braking.

Easy. No holes in that plan.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:
TheHeckler wrote:

Don't use an air tank, use an old Argon bottle.

Although, if you're doing this to save fuel, it would be easier to just run a relay from the brake switch to the injectors to stop fuel consumption during braking.

Easy. No holes in that plan.

I doubt it would save much fuel but it will go fast wink

Reason I suggested an air tank is that with around 11:1 compression the best you can do pressure-wise is about 150PSI.  Any compressed gas bottle is pretty thick for 150PSI.  Ir would be nice to get to 1500 PSI and just a 7.5 gallon tank but you would have to have some serious engineering to get the flow and pressure at the engine down to 15 PSI relative.  A 'real' regulator big enough to flow 600 CFM is pretty expensive so maybe you could engineer a choked flow solution.  Just don't open the boost throttle at low revs.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang