Topic: Yayuh! Free bimmer 2002!

I've been driving by this farmhouse for 5 years, where a 2002 has been sitting in the woods.  The other day, I stopped by and spoke with a lady at the house and asked if it was for sale. 
"what do you plan to do with it?"
"I'd like to enter it in an endurance race for $500 cars"
"Well in that case, I don't think so.  The transmission is in very good shape"
"You can keep the transmission and anything else you'd like, I just want the car"

So she gets my name and #.  About 10 days later the phone rings.  Hey, this is ###, and you stopped by to look at my 2002.  Call me

He informs me that many people have stopped by to look at the car and offer him money, but I was the first who would take it off the road and race it.  As long as I provide him w/ my info and agree not to blame him if something goes wrong, I can have the car.  Oh, yeah, I've got to remove and deliver the trans to him.  (he wants it for his Tii)  He doesn't have any faith in the engine, and there's going to be no trans.  Any suggestions for repowering this thing?  If I keep the turbo 2.3/5 speed from the bird, this could be a screamer, if it'll fit.

Moral of the story:  It doesn't hurt to ask, all they can do is say no.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Re: Yayuh! Free bimmer 2002!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Second half of that:
Keep asking, you only need 1 to say yes.

CBear3 wrote:

Second half of that:
Keep asking, you only need 1 to say yes.

When in doubt, leave a note. It's worked so far.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

4 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-07-06 01:49 PM)

Any suggestions for repowering this thing?  If I keep the turbo 2.3/5 speed from the bird, this could be a screamer, if it'll fit.

Well, "no faith in the engine" doesn't exactly matter much. If you can find a trans that'll mate to it, then why the hell not.

Otherwise, what's this about "if it'll fit"? Of course it'll fit - if it doesn't you haven't used your sawzall correctly, or you're installing it in the wrong part of the car.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

Otherwise, what's this about "if it'll fit"? Of course it'll fit - if it doesn't you haven't used your sawzall correctly, or you're installing it in the wrong part of the car.

There's a wrong part of the car to install an engine?  You better not let the Misfit Toys crew hear that kind of talk.  big_smile

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

No, that's the point. If you're trying to install an engine in the supposed "engine bay" and it doesn't fit, you need to find a new "engine bay". Whether that's the trunk, back seat, passenger seat, or on the damn roof is up to you.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Jeff G 78 wrote:
EyeMWing wrote:

There's a wrong part of the car to install an engine?  You better not let the Misfit Toys crew hear that kind of talk.  big_smile

Please my team keeps giving me grief about making our MGB mid engined.  What could possibly go wrong?

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

JThw8 wrote:

Please my team keeps giving me grief about making our MGB mid engined.  What could possibly go wrong?

There goes that crazy talk again.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

my vote goes for the 2.3Turbo/5speed swap. should be awesome!

start shopping craigslist for engines and transmissions available cheap, or pick something you like and go get it from the JY.

To fit it probably needs to be a 4 cylinder inline. But you could try something funky. Like find a inline 6 from something.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

JThw8 wrote:

Don't tell me you've given up on the dream of building a front-engined Caddy-500-powered MGB!

Find an E36 318i 5 speed in a bone yard.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Judge Phil wrote:

Don't tell me you've given up on the dream of building a front-engined Caddy-500-powered MGB!

That weight ballance would make more dohnuts than Krispy Kream.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Judge Phil wrote:

By front engined I assume you mean in front of the front axle

So full of win!

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Any of the small pickups would probably work  I've got an old s10 w/ a 4.3.  Hmmm.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!