Topic: Addicted

We did our first race in DC, and now we are addicted.  I can't stop looking at CL or ebay and wonder how do I get that beautiful beast for under 500 bucks.  Why oh why did our caddy have to die.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Re: Addicted

it is all down hill from here!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

3 (edited by m610 2010-07-10 07:21 PM)

Yep. Car-crack. There is no cure. Even if wifey bars your from competing, organizes various interventions, calls in a priest to perform an exorcism, threatens to perform a midnight circumcision, sells all of your tools, and somehow manages to keep you away from the track, the craving will haunt you forever.

I am such a case. I raced once with Zoom-Zoom-Boom in May, and now my car is out in the driveway getting tree sap all over it while two crusty field-finds are getting 16-7 love and attention. Fortunately for this particular addiction and anatomical completeness, I am single.

I forget to whom the quote is attributed but it goes something like "racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty"

Welcome to the addiction, there is no cure and the "support group" is only good for furthering your addiction.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

^ Peter Egan.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

bigds01 wrote:

We did our first race in DC, and now we are addicted.  I can't stop looking at CL or ebay and wonder how do I get that beautiful beast for under 500 bucks.  Why oh why did our caddy have to die.

Ahhh, so you guys had the SLS. I was curious, what exactly happened that caused you to leave it behind?

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

The head blew again.  After spending 4 days rebuilding it last time, the engine was just shot.  We boiled off all of the coolant every two laps.  Car was dead.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

Look at it this way: Every time a car dies at a Lemons race, it has died an honorable, warrior's death.

Shoulda kept the car, though, and shoved in a Camry drivetrain or something equally absurd.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

bigds01 wrote:

The head blew again.  After spending 4 days rebuilding it last time, the engine was just shot.  We boiled off all of the coolant every two laps.  Car was dead.

I would have taken it back home and gotten a "new" northstar from a junkyard, your cage was too nice to let it go to waste.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

JThw8 wrote:

I forget to whom the quote is attributed but it goes something like "racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty"

Welcome to the addiction, there is no cure and the "support group" is only good for furthering your addiction.

One day we will all have to check ourselves into the Henry Ford clinic for some rehab.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

SO the issue was we spent 6 months getting everything right, and just got frustrated and threw it all away.  Problem with the northstar is it really is a piece of crap engine.

Team Pimpalicous
87 325 Convertible

bigds01 wrote:

Problem with the northstar is it really is a piece of crap engine.

Ain't that the truth!

bigds01 wrote:

SO the issue was we spent 6 months getting everything right, and just got frustrated and threw it all away.  Problem with the northstar is it really is a piece of crap engine.

you should have swapped it with a 5.3. I would bet it would sit right in and bolt right up, knowing GM. Plus you can pick them up at the salvage yards for dirty cheap.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Northstars have cooling issues.

That said we have/had an Aurora with 300K+.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

PunisherBass wrote:
bigds01 wrote:

I would have taken it back home and gotten a "new" northstar from a junkyard, your cage was too nice to let it go to waste.

The really amazing thing is that Northstars with blown head gaskets are about $300.  Add in the cost of the head gasket, and you have a "fresh" engine every race for $400 a pop.  The key is to get revalued at less than $100 each time.  As a bonus, you'd get really quick at swapping engines.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

That engine has a no coolant heat removal strategy if I remember right.
I beleve it uses cylinder shut down and the subsequent heat removal to keep the engine cool, then it will just change cylinders. If memory serves me correctly from 18 years ago at GM school.
The biggest problem is the fact that the head bolt holes get boogered everytime they get removed and need to be Helicoiled.

This topic scares me. I'm hooked (been surfing craigslist for $50-$750 cars for over a year now.) and I've never even been to watch a race.

Kind of makes me wonder what I'm going to be like AFTER I manage to ever get out on a track sometime.

Cercious wrote:

This topic scares me. I'm hooked (been surfing craigslist for $50-$750 cars for over a year now.) and I've never even been to watch a race.

Kind of makes me wonder what I'm going to be like AFTER I manage to ever get out on a track sometime.

the easiest and quickest (and least painful) way is to check human resources.

For around 500.00 you can start the addiction!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

19 (edited by Cercious 2010-08-03 06:55 PM)

Yeah. Doesn't look like there's much activity in there recently (The Human Resources, that is.). I'd honestly like to start up a team, and do it all from scratch myself with some friends, but the only friends I have that share my car/racing passion either can't get a job, or can't keep one.

I'm shooting for a Dallas event next year. I'm sure I can make that if I try hard enough. =P

I started my own team for capitol offense and went through 2 driver # 2 3 driver # 3 and about 5 or 6 driver #4's.  Didn't get the final driver #4 until 2 days before the race.  between that and trying to put a car together from scratch, it was a real PIA.

I can't wait to do it again, although my wallet is hurting from the first one.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Cercious wrote:

Yeah. Doesn't look like there's much activity in there recently (The Human Resources, that is.). I'd honestly like to start up a team, and do it all from scratch myself with some friends, but the only friends I have that share my car/racing passion either can't get a job, or can't keep one.

I'm shooting for a Dallas event next year. I'm sure I can make that if I try hard enough. =P

If you want to drive in September, I have an open seat in my car.

I drove for another team first, to learn all the mistakes to avoid. I'm still gonna make some mistakes, but not the same ones.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

22 (edited by Mulry 2010-08-04 09:07 AM)

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

I drove for another team first, to learn all the mistakes to avoid. I'm still gonna make some mistakes, but not the same ones.

That really is a great idea, it really makes it easier to learn a lot of stuff on somebody else's dime if you don't have any prior racecar-building knowledge. My bank account certainly wishes that I would have done that before jumping in with both feet for the first race.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

I'd love to, and thanks for the offer... main reason I want to do it from scratch and shoot for next year is I know I'll have the time, and the money. Next month I have too much going on with my sister coming into town from Florida, mine and my mom's birthdays, Texas State Fair... I don't know if I'll have the money, or even the time off from work to do it. I work weekends, and I work nights... so just to make a race, I'd have to take Thursday night through Sunday night off. Big hit in the paycheck right there.

Baron wrote:

One day we will all have to check ourselves into the Edsel Ford clinic for some rehab.

fixed for you.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I expect my intervention to be televised on A&E within the next few weeks.  After that I'll be on divorce court.

Refinery Trash
Team Captain - Austin No-Power Subaru Shaguar
Yee-Haw MSR 9/2010 - P23/122
Laisse Crap-Heaps, Grand Bayou 11/2010 - P4/50