Topic: Exhaust and tech...do the judges bring a decbel meter?

We are building a Lincoln Mark VIII for Omaha. The car has cats built into the downpipes/exhaust manfolds. With the exhaust cut off it's really not that loud.

So, if we do some scientific checking, can we go sans mufflers (I understand we will need pipe going behind the driver).

Can the judges check sound level or do they insist that we at least have a glasspack or something on there? It technically does have sound suppresion via the cats that will stay on the car.

I had a Mustang with Borla exhaust on it (no cats) and this isn't any louder than it was. Thanks in advance!

Re: Exhaust and tech...do the judges bring a decbel meter?

The track generally provides the decibel meter. Some tracks are stricter than others.

I have yet to see a decibel meter pulled out at tech. Not saying it won't/can't/doesn't happen, but it's gotta be rare. That said, if you show up with just straight pipes you're just asking for tech to fail you and then you've got a real PITA of a fix to do at the track. If you have a cheapie Cherry Bomb and just put a turndown at the tip then you're almost certain to be okay.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

play it safe and run a muffler.

Trust me after a 2 hour stint you and your drivers are NOT going to complain that the car was too quiet.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Cars have been busted for excessive noise, so it can happen to you. Unless you have a rotary or V8, a cheapo glasspack is usually- but not always- enough muffler.

As for the Mark VIII, I doubt that cats alone will be quiet enough, but who can say? Just be ready to make a panicky run to the nearest car-parts store or junkyard if you fail tech with your badass straight pipes.

How much power could you make with all that extra noise?  I would bet it's not worth it for an endurance car.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Didn't a 2.3 Fox Mustang win one of these things? If ever there was an argument that power is irrelevant, that would have to be it....remember the sage advice of NASCAR legend and convicted felon Junior Johnson: "Motors don't mean shit!"

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

jimeditorial wrote:

Didn't a 2.3 Fox Mustang win one of these things? If ever there was an argument that power is irrelevant, that would have to be it....remember the sage advice of NASCAR legend and convicted felon Junior Johnson: "Motors don't mean shit!"

I think so. And a Toyota Corolla FX-16 won one too.

Power: noise can be deceiving. One of my favorite parts of the Audi/LeMans documentary "Truth in 24" is when they are discussing how absurdly quiet the Audi R10 diesel engine was/is. It's interesting to hear the drivers discuss how they can hear other things that the car is doing because the engine noise level is so low. And then there's the creepy part (not my favorite, but amusing nonetheless) when the German engine designer talks about how some people like their engines and their sex to be loud and some like it quieter. Definitely TMI.

But I think that designer had a good point, which is that noise is a form of energy and as an engine designer, you're wasting energy if you're sending it down the pipe and out the engine. I'm not an engineer and I lack the knowledge to evaluate the validity of the premise of his statement, but I did find it intriguing. If I ever design an engine from scratch, I'll definitely keep that in mind. smile

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

jimeditorial wrote:

A (non-turbo) 2.3 Fox Mustang has come in a very close second (would have won but for a last-minute penalty), but plenty of low-power cars have won. I'm pretty sure that the Civic that won the last New England race had less than 100 horsepower, for example.

Our GTP already had its mufflers removed when we got the car, but the cat and resonator were left in place so we just ran it as is. The car was loud and made a very unique noise on the track, but it wasn't nearly as loud as the Gashole's Mustang.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

At NE last year one team got turned away from tech for too much noise if i remember right. Not sure what they had but it must have been REALLY loud.

That Civic that won NE was pretty incredible. The car was quick regardless of the power. I tip my hat to those drivers.

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Judge Phil wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

A (non-turbo) 2.3 Fox Mustang has come in a very close second (would have won but for a last-minute penalty), but plenty of low-power cars have won. I'm pretty sure that the Civic that won the last New England race had less than 100 horsepower, for example.

Our Fox is 89 HP from the factory (and we have done no mods) and put down a faster lap time than 8 of the top 10 cars last year at NE.  Too bad it only did it like twice lol.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Judge Phil wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

That car is still around and hasn't been changed ..... she was raced at Capitol, and if entries are accepted you won't have seen the last of her.

sergio wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

I think so. And a Toyota Corolla FX-16 won one too.

speaking of which...you DEFINITELY want a muffler on a 4AGE.  and if you figure out how to keep one on for the entire race, please let RobL know.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I've figured it out. We've never dropped one. In fact, if you're running a stock 4AGE, I've got everything from the header back. No cat, cherry bomb, O2 sensor bung, has worked great for us before we blew that motor and built a new exhaust to fit the downpipe on the replacement motor. Uses the stock exhaust mounting points on the frame. It's yours if you want it, we'll have to cut it up a little so that it would fit in a box to ship but I'm sure that Rob could piece it back together with his fancy welding skillz. smile

Trevor57 wrote:

How much power could you make with all that extra noise?  I would bet it's not worth it for an endurance car.

I wouldn't expect any extra power. There is even a chance that some lowend torque could be lost witha  lack of some back pressure.

Judge Phil and others have spoken, it will get some glasspacks.

If anything, it would be to save a few bucks, reduce engineering a bit, maximize ground clearance and ensure the other guys heard us in their blind spot. Also, I've seen some videos of some quieter cars getting drowned out when running in the pack and aurally monitoring your engine is a nice to have. I'm sure it will make enough noise for us.

None of that is worth scrambling on site to get something on there to pass tech as well as the stated effects on driver endurance.

Thanks for everyone's input!

SimplyKC wrote:
Trevor57 wrote:

I wouldn't expect any extra power. There is even a chance that some lowend torque could be lost witha  lack of some back pressure.

Show me a car with backpressure, and I'll show you a crappy car. Engines have never worked that way, its an ancient backyard moron myth that backpressure does all sorts of magical things like prevent exhaust valves burning, raises torque, etc. Any type of Pump (engines here) certainly don't have outlet backpressure to increase anything but exhaust temperature and lower flowrates. If an exhaust has in-built tuning with primary length/collector/secondary/etc, then yes messing with the math could affect torque. A stock engine with cast iron manifolds, don't even think about it.

Lowering volumetric efficiency does nothing but lower power, regardless of how you do it.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

djcommie wrote:

Show me a car with backpressure, and I'll show you a crappy car.

Hey now, all of my two-stroke cars require a certain amount of backpressure for proper functioning and they're not crappy.... On second thought, never mind, I withdraw my objection.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I have a bone stock Mark VIII DOHC 4.6 in a crown vic dirt track car with straight pipes.  It is stupid loud under load at higher RPMs.  It sounds awesome on video and it is pretty cool that it is louder than all the other guys with their cheater stroker motors but after 5 minutes in the car I am ready for mufflers.....I would run cherry bombs or something smile

Anti EPA Racing's Rusty Ass Cougar - Formerly Tiger's Wood PGA (Probably Gettin Ass) Racing - Harrisburg PA

Your Cougar was one of the best sounding cars on the track at CO.  Our 535 sounds very loud in the shop and driving around over 3750 rpm.  It has 3" pipe and a Summit glasspack.  On track, however, it seems no louder than most other cars.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

It's loud ......

I was driving when we once went in parallel with you down the straight before turn 20 at Capitol.  It was loud above our car.

23 (edited by djcommie 2010-07-18 09:16 PM)

mharrell wrote:
djcommie wrote:

Show me a car with backpressure, and I'll show you a crappy car.

Hey now, all of my two-stroke cars require a certain amount of backpressure for proper functioning and they're not crappy.... On second thought, never mind, I withdraw my objection.

Thats resonance tuning with expansion chambers to prevent intake charges from exiting through the also open exhaust port.

I actually sourced a header for the Daihatsu, welded on a downpipe from an old beat-up DC Sports header, and just used a 4 foot long resonator from some european car. Sounds smooth and quiet, although a little too smooth...

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

If its too loud we'll make you fix it...    What do we mean by that?   Well, it's like that Supreme Court case.  "I know obscenity when I see it"      We know its too loud when we hear it.       

I tell teams this:   'It sounds a bit loud,  you should fix it before the race.  If its determined to be too loud during the race, you will be black flagged and made to fix it, and you will loose laps and track time, your choice'     

Usually if you are asking the question, your car is too loud, add a muffler.

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

loose the cats , large stock type mufflers ...thats what we did on our rx-7 . it works .  ralph