Topic: Alfetta racers - Spica or carbs?

Our Alfa has been plagued with fuel issues, and we were wondering if carbs would be better than the Spica injection system on there. They may not give the same performance, but we were thinking that they may be easier to fix if something craps out at the track.

What do any you who have run Alfas before think?

rotboxracing.com
1977 Afletta

Re: Alfetta racers - Spica or carbs?

If SPICA is working right its an amazingly good system.  But it doesnt sound like it's working right and its rarely Lemons friendly to get one working right so I would consider the carb swap (although that's not a cheap prospect either)

Might want to post some details of what fuel issues you are having, it might be a simple/cheap fix that one of the guys more knowledgeable with SPICA can help you with before you just bail on it entirely.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Re: Alfetta racers - Spica or carbs?

The SPICA system works very well if you haven't messed with the stock cams, nor have you messed with the settings themselves. IF you have played with the 2 screws that sit on top of the intake next to the snail shaped cable pull, then you are in a world of hurt. You need a couple very specialized tools to get everything back to where it should be in terms of the two screws.

What seems to be the issue? Is it running way rich?

If you are running the Thunderhill race next week, I can bring my SPICA tools up with me.

Shoot me an email as I don't check this forum much.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

1959 Alfa Giuletta 101.02 Sprint (huge project) 1969 Alfa 105.51 GTV (daily driver, now dead)
1969 Datsun 2000 (race car, current daily driver)