Topic: A little early to call myself a quitter, but...

I don't think I can finish the Apollo 18 car in time for Thunderhill. Too many monkey's being thrown into the wrenches (including 2 blown motors in the Mr. Bean Mini last weekend), plus I'm having a forced family vacation to the east coast for nearly 2 weeks starting Monday. When I return, I'll have only 4 days (make that evenings) to get 2 cars ready to travel. And the Apollo 18 car can't even roll yet, has no brakes, no engine, no tranny, no steering, no shift linkage, no exhaust, no wiring, no seat... Heck, it still doesn't even have a floor.

So it looks like I may likely be bringing the backup car: The sChitroen. I've done nothing to it since pulling it off the trailer and parking it after Sears Pointless. Maybe I should spend my last remaining weekend trying to see if it still runs and figure out how I can keep the rims from popping the tubes in the tires.

I'm not throwing in the towel on the Apollo 18 car, but I've recruited 6 Lemons newbies to help drive the Mr. Bean Mini and whatever else I bring, so I'm kind of obliged to make sure they have at least a chance to drive something even if only around the pits.

Re: A little early to call myself a quitter, but...

I don't know what the Apollo 18 car is but it can't be more awesome than the DS. Plus thunderhill should suit the DS better being less stop and go than sears point. Bring on more Air Prance!!  Yes You Can Can!!

3 (edited by magnusracing 2010-07-17 11:14 AM)

It's ok... we'll look forward to Apollo 18 at Buttonwillow!

We're still trying to determine if we can get the Jaguar fixed in time for Thunderhill also...

Plus I have teammates backing out (and they havn't even paid... I'm stuck with the bill... again).

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

I need to install fresh brake pads and do an oil change...

I don't know if I'll make it.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Come on trekkor... race something challenging and painful! smile

magnusracing wrote:

Some people can handle a challenge, some people race boring cars wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I offset the "boring car" stigma by driving the piss out of it. you know how hard it is to keep a top 10 position with a buick?

You know you're a real Lemons racer when your "backup car" is a Citroën DS.

Judge Phil wrote:

I'm blushing.

Notice the time: I'm still not giving up quite yet on the Apollo 18 car... not quite yet...

Not

quite

yet.

Serj wrote:

I offset the "boring car" stigma by driving the piss out of it. you know how hard it is to keep a top 10 position with a buick?

In the context of Lemons, a buick is not a boring car.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Spank wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

I'm blushing.

Notice the time: I'm still not giving up quite yet on the Apollo 18 car... not quite yet...

Not

quite

yet.

You should have a package arriving shortly...hope it helps.

Spank, our team motto is "Never give up! Never surrender!" (in our best Scottish accents, of course, but without the blue and white face paint)

We're obviously not French. big_smile

Seriously, don't give up. Dave and I just spent the weekend yanking a drivetrain out of a donor car, yanking the V12 out of the 'bird, and setting the new, highly unusual drivetrain in place. Now, I gotta get out there and start fabricating mounts and a driveshaft. Then, I gotta rip all the wiring and guage cluster out of the donor, which ain't gonna be easy, and reinstall them in the Rocketbird, along with the complete fuel system from the donor car. I want to have it all running by tomorrow night, so that I can return to work Wednesday knowing my car for this weekend is mostly ready.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Give up. I want moar DS.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Well, I haven't slept. I pulled an all-nighter to get as much done as I could. Certainly wasn't as efficient as I could have been had I not had to worry about noise (and had I been rested).  While wrenching, I got to thinking that I've already dedicated a lot of time and my family has sacrificed my presence at mother's day, father's day, and several friend gatherings and they even left on our vacation 4 days ahead of me to give me a couple of extra days to just burn through it. I'm not giving up hope.

Now I have to go and catch a plane, and try not to think too much about all that's left to do.

(BTW, I'll be down your way Wednesday/Thursday-- down in Chuck (Charles) County.

Judge Phil wrote:

Of course we could mention how Mr. Spank blew those two Mini motors....

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Spank, I'm close to Waldorf. If you wanna see Casa De Speedycop, and the various decrepit future Lemons cars, give me a shout: three oh one, 675-8 thousand 6.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Damn... I knew it... all the most insane lemoners have a SMIB background.

Judge Jonny wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

Of course we could mention how Mr. Spank blew those two Mini motors....

(layover in Vegas airport)

Now now, play nice.  I look at it like my high school girlfriend's subsequent boyfriends... they got 'er used.

And thanks for reminding me-- that makes two car-related all-nighters in 8 days.

magnusracing wrote:

I didn't choose my car. It chose me!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I'm a Yankee (NJ/NY), not a SMIB. However, I have been here for 10 years, so perhaps it rubbed off...

Back from vacation, spent the whole day working on the Apollo 18 car. Yes, it's 2:40 am.

Why do I do this to myself?

Earlier today I took a brake from working to take a gander at the sChitroen today, lifted the hood, and saw that an opossum has taken up residence in the front end area between the bumper and the radiator... I closed the hood and left it there.

Sounds like Lemons first LIVE baksheesh is coming this weekend...

Heroic effort, even before the race started. The passion of the Lemons!

Holy crap. Did I really type "brake" instead of "break"?! That's pretty awful coming from a former HS English teacher.

LIVE baksheesh. Hmmm. With my luck, they'll decline the opossum and make me keep it all weekend. Or worse yet, make me teach it how to drive.

It could be like Toonces, only in possum form. Hope there are no cliffs near T-Hill.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.