26 (edited by CBear3 2010-07-23 12:42 PM)

Re: Team roll call for MAM-Omaha

You guys are lucky.  The extra radiation poisoning from Hiroshima's Revenge has put us behind schedule (or about where we would figure to be).  Car is stripped, but the motor we have hasn't been witnessed running by its last two owners, and isn't the same as what was originally in the car.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4822086166_73be0f2152_b.jpg

CBear3 wrote:

You guys are lucky.  The extra radiation poisoning from Hiroshima's Revenge has put us behind schedule (or about where we would figure to be).  Car is stripped, but the motor we have hasn't been witnessed running by its last two owners, and isn't the same as what was originally in the car.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/482 … 2152_b.jpg

Maybe it's time to ditch the Wankel and do this:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/1859105253.html

wesmc wrote:
Filthy Mechanic wrote:

Team Viper Light Racing will be there in our lucky #13 Viper RE (recession edition) aka Dodge Neon.  The cage was finished Tuesday and I'm going to start the rest of the prep as soon as we can drag the car over to my house.  For bribes, we figured there'd be plenty of brush creek brewery beer floating around, so were planning to bring BBQ to wash down with the beer.

finished? holy smokes!

OK, it's not as finished as I was told.  Apparently it will be finished on Sunday, for real this time, maybe.

SimplyKC wrote:

Maybe it's time to ditch the Wankel and do this:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/1859105253.html

Thought about it, but after that, a T5, and a driveshaft we'd have difficulty making the budget.

30 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-07-23 06:42 PM)

CBear3, I have what I call a "Time-Bomb 12A" in my garage I might be able to bring to Omaha. It's all my worst just-under spec parts (6.5mm apex seals, rotor housings with chrome missing, etc.) thrown together with some maybe-too-wild porting. I have about $50 in o-rings in the motor and I used 18 gauge wire in place of the water seals. I never got it into any of my RX-7s to see if it'd run. Let me know if you're interested.

If you need help getting the motor running you can ask all the questions you want at www.mazspeed.com - I'm on there as flyboy_es.

wesmc wrote:
TTOD1 wrote:
wesmc wrote:

Where in KC? We have a three Snooty North of the river guys and the three guys in Independence (it's the three guys in Indep with jobs and no drug habbit.)  We're building in Indep

Their jobs don't involve the actual making of the meth, do they?  (snicker)

Nope, we work for the Fire Dept.  I think if we made meth we'd earn enough to race a better car.

So very true....

so what's the latest happenings at the race?

I was wondering if anyone has heard if we'll be running the long or short course?

I would assume that with 36 teams we'll run the short course.  Here's the only vid I've found of that configuration.

http://vimeo.com/1686327

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Big Oil Racing will be out there trying to not blow up our small block chevy (305TBI haha) with auto tranny...

Pics of progress can be found here...
http://picasaweb.google.com/LandsharkMZ3/BigOilRacing#

Those pics are a couple weeks old. Cage and mounting plates are now tidyed up, interior painted, seat and belts mounted and we are getting closer.  Now just some creative fab work for the heck of it, and theme work. We've been at it for about 3-4 days a week for 2 months.

JBgotM wrote:

Big Oil Racing will be out there trying to not blow up our small block chevy (305TBI haha) with auto tranny...

Pics of progress can be found here...
http://picasaweb.google.com/LandsharkMZ3/BigOilRacing#

Those pics are a couple weeks old. Cage and mounting plates are now tidyed up, interior painted, seat and belts mounted and we are getting closer.  Now just some creative fab work for the heck of it, and theme work. We've been at it for about 3-4 days a week for 2 months.

The cage looks pretty good.  I hope ours turns out as nice.  It was supposed to be done 2 months ago, then last Tuesday. than last Friday, then last Sunday and is supposedly done now, but I have yet to see it.

37 (edited by rodmanhd 2010-08-05 06:34 PM)

Not fast but really furious will be out there for as long as our sweet ass '91 probe holds up.

Building the car near the airport in KC, this is our first race as well.

We are too planning to bring mass quantities of Boulevard Beer although Pilsner has become our new favorite from Boulevard.

Lemonious Monk wrote:

I would assume that with 36 teams we'll run the short course.  Here's the only vid I've found of that configuration.

http://vimeo.com/1686327

great post for those of us who haven't run it, thanks!

39 (edited by SimplyKC 2010-08-06 05:45 PM)

rodmanhd wrote:

Not fast but really furious will be out there for as long as our sweet ass '91 probe holds up.

We are too planning to bring mass quantities of Boulevard Beer although Pilsner has become our new favorite from Boulevard.

I think we know someone in coomon. Does Dave Hannah ring a bell?

Is your Probe a GT or NA?

Here's a list of cars I have compiled from the thread so far...

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
89-94 Geo Metro 3cyl.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1987 Jaguar XJ6
1988 Buick LeSabre (Citing money issues they are out)
88-91 Honda Civic Si coupe
70s Porsche 914
1979 Mercury Bobcat (Pinto)
Early 70s Datsun 510
1st-Gen RX7
3rd-gen Firebird 305
1991 Ford Probe

SimplyKC wrote:
rodmanhd wrote:

I think we know someone in coomon. Does Dave Hannah ring a bell?

Is your Probe a GT or NA?

Here's a list of cars I have compiled from the thread so far...

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII
89-94 Geo Metro 3cyl.
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT
1987 Jaguar XJ6
1988 Buick LeSabre (Citing money issues they are out)
88-91 Honda Civic Si coupe
70s Porsche 914
1979 Mercury Bobcat (Pinto)
Early 70s Datsun 510
1st-Gen RX7
3rd-gen Firebird 305
1991 Ford Probe

Our probe is the often sought after LX (3.0 V6, 5 spd)

41 (edited by SimplyKC 2010-08-06 06:17 PM)

rodmanhd wrote:

I didn't realize they made those. It sounds like a good combo with the manual. I fear our auto is going to be our weak link and may die.

SimplyKC wrote:
rodmanhd wrote:

I didn't realize they made those. It sounds like a good combo with the manual. I fear our auto is going to be our weak link and may die.

Well, it's a taurus V-6 so we'll see how it does . . .

We got half the cage done in the Jaggernaut today! Spending eleven hours in the sun and 100 degree heat sucked though. We got the main hoop, halo, and front supports done. We started really draggin' butt so we called it a day. We have to weld down the spreader plates on the driver's side of the cage, weld in the diagonal and harness bar, the door bars, and the rear supports and it's done. The $70 Chinese-made tubing notcher I bought works fine - if I raise my drill press up 1/2".

I'd post pics, but I'm so wiped out I think I'm heading to bed now.

According to what our noble team leader learned at a recent Porsche track event at MAM, it will be the short course.  We will be there with our CRX.  Looking forward to it immensely!

45 (edited by racingrust 2010-08-10 08:17 AM)

SimplyKC wrote:
rodmanhd wrote:

Yes, Ford made two of these probes. One we are racing and the other is at pick and pull's salvage yard. Wes, my name name is Ray. I am firends with with a good chunk of your co workers. Lee, Tony Champange, Donnie, Bart, Ryan Sullivan, and a few others.

I wouldn't sweat that tranny in the Mark. Keep it cool. That is the first car to get that tranny. That isn't your everyday AOD. it is the 4r70w http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission which is a nice tranny. I think Rod and will try and stop by the shop when you get a chance.

46 (edited by racingrust 2010-08-10 08:40 AM)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52895025@N02/4879658458

Here is our probe, don't act like your not impressed!

jungle wrote:

Team Short Bus is planning on being there.
1995 VW Golf....115hp/120tq (197,000 miles ago!)  8valves of fury!

Aaron, this is Jason from when we ran (or tried) in Iowa. Glad to see you will make it out.

We are planning on being there in the 69 Datsun 510, although we haven't touched the car since blowing through parts from three engines at High Plains Raceway a month ago.  I predict we will wait till the last week so that we can guarantee a weekend of stuff breaking.  You know to give us something to do while at the track.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

510 and CRX will be a blast on the short course!

The Jaggernaut will be there! We just have a few bars to weld in this weekend, install the harness, and fix some minor stuff.

I called the track and found out there aren't any power outlets in the paddock area. Ugh. And I forgot to ask if the track gates will be open thursday evening. I'll probably be camping in a Wal-Mart parking lot. It's a 7 hour drive from Oklahoma City, so if I leave after work I can be in Omaha by 11pm. Don't know if I'll have any team members before noon on Friday- two of them work Thursday night.