Topic: Need opinions

Hey all, I'm lookin for a Lemons car, and found an 86 I belive Camaro, and I went today to look at it with the owner.., and got 450...

I took about 100 pictures, uploaded a few to an album

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss210/jrtech133/car/IMG_9991-1.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss210/jrtech133/car/IMG_9984-1.jpg

http://s576.photobucket.com/albums/ss210/jrtech133/car/

The rest of the pictures are in the album there, just curious what yall think?
List of stuff it needs: Battery, Transmission link cable, belts, couple other minor items...Wasnt able to fire today due to lack of battery power and no key lol.

Re: Need opinions

I'm not too crazy about all that rust and I don't know if the rear diagonals connecting to the main hoop by plates like that would pass tech. One thing for sure, that custom front bumper would have to go.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Yea, the rust does scare me, I'd like to get a car thats complete like this and basically ready to go, especially for 450 bucks...but I'd hate to have to rebuild the cage...

Nothing leaps out at me that is an instant fail.  Check the tubing thickness and how deep the rust is, how are the welds?      You will need to have arm restraints or cover the t-tops,   We have accepted those main hoop to halo/down bar plates before, it is a common way of cage fabrication in the circle-track world and it allows a very strong 360 degree weld, not my style but strong and effective.       I'm sure you will have to replace the belts, etc...      I really don't think its pretty but it may be legal

Cheers-

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

5 (edited by Eric Myers 2010-07-25 07:52 PM)

It's one of those deals, I dont want to travel 5-6 hours to buttonwillow just to find out something was wrong. good thing the race is 5 months away...Most of the welds look pretty good not a cheap quick job weld. Main thing is the rust, which im hoping isnt as bad as it looked, I was able to chip a little bit away without getting any metal fragments from what I could see...

I'm gonna guess it doesn't run?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

According to the guy it does wasnt able to run it today due to a dead battery, and no keys...

Eric Myers wrote:

According to the guy it does wasnt able to run it today due to a dead battery, and no keys...

LOL. This is the reason that I always take a battery when looking at a "ran when parked" beater. Then the next excuse always is "yeah, I think the fuel pump was going bad" but fails to mention that the lower end sounded like it was grinding gravel the last time it "ran when parked." There's usually a good reason they were parked. It's because they are crap.

But that's why we love them: we see their potential. With that Camaro, what I see is a potential BHG. smile Good luck!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Eric Myers wrote:

So I would be concerned about the amount of rust in the engine.  Think how many man hours it is going to take just to clean up all of that rust on the cage. My hands are hurting already.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Good thing is, I found another car. Just need to pick it up now smile

camaros are generally bad ideas at Lemons, as are auto transmissions that aren't attached to police package crown vics.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

paint the cage with POR and run away...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Buzz Killington wrote:

camaros are generally bad ideas at Lemons, as are auto transmissions that aren't attached to police package crown vics.

We've run nothing but automatics at Lemons and have yet to have a problem.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic