Topic: help with porterfield brake lines

Working on my 92 grand prix for the detroit race.  I ordered my Porterfield stainless steel brake lines.  The problem I am having is that the stock male flair nut on the existing stock steel lines won't thread into the porterfield fittings.  The original wheel brakes lines have a deeper female coupling.  When I explained the problem to Porterfield the technician didn't understand the problem.  Has anyone else had this problem with the GM flair nuts?

Re: help with porterfield brake lines

Had the same kind of problem on a friends towncar and ended up buying fittings that worked, cutting the fittings of the new lines, putting on the ones that worked and re-flaring.

Napa has an entire rack of fitting adapters if you don't want to cut and re-flare. bring your brake hose and grab everything that looks like it'll fit - and then return the ones that don't turn out to be correct.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I got the problem solved.  After wasting much time trying to figure out what I really needed, I took the lines to the local "real" autoparts store.  (Not Autozone and only open for 4 hours a day). I put the parts on the counter and didn't have a chance to say anything.  He glanced at them and said "hell, that 10 mm bubble flair won't fit in the something, something inverted flair".  His tone communicated his total disdain for the douchebag I am.  I thanked him and got my parts. 
God I love this race.

Any good parts store will have brake line adaptors in stock. Make sure they are steel never ever brass fittings on brakes

If its not broke fix it till it is...

They are steel.

shabah210 wrote:

.  His tone communicated his total disdain for the douchebag I am.

Not douchebag (note that spelling correction), just rookie. Douchebags are SCCA guys who complain that Lemons and Chump Car cheapen the sport, while bitching about how they got passed by some POS at the track day

We all have to learn, even that guy at the parts store. He's been there 20 years and knows his shit, make him your friend.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche