Re: What are you guys doing to keep your car's motor cooler at TH?

I vented the hood in the 928...almost over the wheels...for two reasons

1:  Vent the radiator
2:  Add downforce since its the lowest pressure area on the hood

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Our hood venting was done initially as part of our theme to make or Prelude resemble the front of the 308 GTS. As it turned out, the location seems to pull hot air from just behind the radiator.  I don’t know exactly if it works or not (untested in like a wind tunnel or anything), but I can tell you the car has never run over 200 degrees even in the heat at CMP.  FYI, I just used a return vent from Lowes and cut it into three panels and pop riveted them into the matching hood openings I cut.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/P1010642.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u9/VKZ24/P1010643.jpg

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

priapism wrote:
wrappedinbacon wrote:

I keep seeing all of these modifications to this "hood" concept that you keep talking about.  Why are you still running with one of these "hood" contraptions.  They just lock in heat and provide one more barrier to getting at your engine when something goes boom.

We had a bitchin' Cadillac hood ornament that I liked to point at apexes. 

Wouldn't no hood kill the aerodynamics?

You are worried about aerodynamics in a 80's GM car? I thought you would be more worried about weight. You could always upgrade to a more aerodynamic Scion xB body on a lighter Sherman Tank chassis...

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

29 (edited by priapism 2010-08-10 02:44 PM)

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
priapism wrote:
wrappedinbacon wrote:

I keep seeing all of these modifications to this "hood" concept that you keep talking about.  Why are you still running with one of these "hood" contraptions.  They just lock in heat and provide one more barrier to getting at your engine when something goes boom.

We had a bitchin' Cadillac hood ornament that I liked to point at apexes. 

Wouldn't no hood kill the aerodynamics?

You are worried about aerodynamics in a 80's GM car? I thought you would be more worried about weight. You could always upgrade to a more aerodynamic Scion xB body on a lighter Sherman Tank chassis...

(psst...it's not really a Cadillac)