Topic: Lug nut question.

Are we supposed to be using lug nuts that are open at the back. I heard that somewhere. Something about the judges being able to verify that you actually tighten the nuts over more than 1 or two threads and that you are not torquing on the bottom of the nut.

Re: Lug nut question.

You're not required to have open lugnuts.  Watching your wheel fly off mid turn is the only indicator of inadequate lugnut torque they use.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Also, judges don't give a shit about whether or not you even HAVE lugnuts.

Tech inspection is tech inspection.  BS Judging is BS Judging.  The two have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Tech is for safety.  Judging is to determine the value of the car.  Lug nuts being a safety item that is not part of your budget, judges don't care about them.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Lug nuts are good. They keep most tires on the car. However the last race I was in we lost 3 of the four lugs and two studs before the driver came in cause the car was shaking violently.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

If you tighten the lug nuts you can't lose a wheel twice in one event like the Saab did at Stafford.

1985 528e Near Orbital Space Monkeys-GONE to orbit
1989 Rustang- "It's not like it's totally undriveable..."
"We came in pieces. We left in more..."

Loren wrote:

Also, judges don't give a shit about whether or not you even HAVE lugnuts.

Actually, we do give a shit- I made two teams at Stafford deal with missing lugnuts- but the BS judges aren't really going out of their way to spot such things. We just do what we can to catch safety problems during the course of the weekend.