26 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-06-24 04:39 PM)

Re: Car Claiming: What really goes down?

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2008/07/thumb800x800_2706502161_2dd4bdcd26_o.jpg

Come to think of it, the team that deserved the Curse more than any other in Lemons history didn't whine one bit. They took their punishment like men (and women) and totally redeemed themselves in the eyes of the crowd.

As a reformed law student, I am mostly amused by the fact that this thread has thus far managed to avoid answering the most pressing issue in my original post.

Taking as a given (a) that a car entered into the 24 Hours of Lemons is subject to claim for $500 at the end of the race, and (b) no amount of whining or litigation shall change such fate, I ask once more: Is a claimed car purchased "as-is" at the end of a race? Specifically, does the claimant get to haul a car off with all the spendy safety gear still bolted in, or does one have the opportunity to wrench it all out before it gets hauled off? Would *all* safety gear be exempt from a claim sale - for example, wheels, tires, brakes, etc?

28 (edited by Mulry 2009-06-25 05:46 AM)

Your question is moot since there never has been a claim and likely will never be a claim. It's like asking what color tie should you wear on your next trip to the moon.

But if there were to be a claim, then I suspect you could count on losing it all. Or not. Who cares, it's a moot point. Don't hold your breath on Jay or Nick giving you a prejudgment ruling.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

29 (edited by Buzz Killington 2009-06-25 08:32 AM)

Mulry wrote:

what color tie should you wear on your next trip to the moon.

red, obviously.  at least that's what i wore on my last trip, and it seemed to go over well.

anyway, you're right.  someone could write and file the complaint themselves.  but no one has done it after being cursed, so why would someone do it after being claimed?  i'd suggest that the motivation is more than it's a hassle for jay to have this extra car than it is some fear of a lawsuit.

as far as unconscionability...come on.  it's not as if anyone is coerced into agreeing to the rules.  Jay/DD don't exert any leverage over potential participants.  we all willingly agree to the terms, and we all clearly understand them.  a term isn't unconscionable if the party accepts it.  and a judge/jury is certainly going to find it at least a little persuasive that none of these other participants have a problem with the terms that are supposedly so unfair to the complainant.

RichVS wrote:

Can we ban lawyers?  I glazed over at 10 words into the second sentence.

as did i.  smile

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Troy wrote:

This is a very interesting subject and I have questioned the legality of the Curse, Claiming and the Rules/Contract...

The curse is clearly the destruction of private property ...

Claiming is more or less a form of gambling...

I think I've said more than enough for now.

The statements you are using as your premise or foundation are pretty darned shaky themselves and lend themselves to some logical fallacies.

Private property? I would think you would need to prove both ownership and value. If legal ownership could be traced back to someone not involved in the civil suit, there goes the case (ie titled to someone else or no evidence of you having paid taxes on your motor vehicle purchase are two things that come to mind that could sink the case). Heck, even the term "destruction" is open to interpretation especially if the defense could find the vehicle's original owner and/or manufacturer to have them make sworn statements that the vehicle's condition prior to the "destruction" was in fact already modified so much beyond it's original design that it would already have been deemed "destroyed". If it were a salvage title, or if it were an insurance write-off that the insurance company required to be shredded/scrapped yet somehow found its way back into use... all of those trump the private property claim.

Gambling? As a willful participant in something that could result in this outcome that you yourself deemed as "gambling" simply makes you equally culpable for the end result and equally guilty of gambling.

As a Lemons newcomer, I don't know the personalities involved nor the board etiquette, but a post like this concerns me. I'd hate for this whole event to get shut down because of fear generated by post like those.

Let Buzz and Troy (the obvious lawyers) work it out probono.  If they start charging us per hour for listening in on the conversation - I'd start to worry.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

32 (edited by MurileeMartin 2009-06-25 09:45 AM)

Spank wrote:

As a Lemons newcomer, I don't know the personalities involved nor the board etiquette, but a post like this concerns me.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/The_Troy_504px.jpg

The board etiquette is that lawyers get to write their briefs on the hoods of their cars!

TeamBigInJapan wrote:

Taking as a given (a) that a car entered into the 24 Hours of Lemons is subject to claim for $500 at the end of the race, and (b) no amount of whining or litigation shall change such fate, I ask once more: Is a claimed car purchased "as-is" at the end of a race? Specifically, does the claimant get to haul a car off with all the spendy safety gear still bolted in, or does one have the opportunity to wrench it all out before it gets hauled off? Would *all* safety gear be exempt from a claim sale - for example, wheels, tires, brakes, etc?

Given that the purpose is to discourage people from using an expensive "base" it would be reasonable to assume that the claiming would be for the car less all "free" components (safety, etc).  As written, unlike the various "claiming might not be legal, etc", I do think that one has a reasonable argument there.  And it could be easily clarified.

Steve

Instead of claiming, just make it a "judges choice" crusher. If somebody is that bad and doesn't by some miracle get peoples curse, just add Jays curse to it and crush two cars instead of one. Same thing applies though, that I doubt it would ever happen. Only bad thing is, never have a rule that you won't enforce. It disrespects everybody and encourages flaunting all the rules. I'd just quietly remove that clause, and rely on peoples curse and stiff judging penalties.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

Instead of claiming, just make it a "judges choice" crusher. If somebody is that bad and doesn't by some miracle get peoples curse, just add Jays curse to it and crush two cars instead of one.

Or we can just put excessively bad drivers/cars on the trailer, as we've done so many times before.

things seem to work just fine as they are.  although it would be interesting to see a car get claimed.

RobL wrote:

Let Buzz and Troy (the obvious lawyers) work it out probono.  If they start charging us per hour for listening in on the conversation - I'd start to worry.

hrmmmm... wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

37 (edited by Rob Stercraw 2009-06-25 11:12 AM)

MurileeMartin wrote:
Spank wrote:

As a Lemons newcomer, I don't know the personalities involved nor the board etiquette, but a post like this concerns me.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2009/06/The_Troy_504px.jpg

The board etiquette is that lawyers get to write their briefs on the hoods of their cars!

I think he's gonna need a bigger canvas.  How about we give him a weight exemption so he can run this?  It won't all fit on the hood, but I am sure if he uses both sides and part of the roof he can get his attorneyish point across to us commoners...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/1970-1979-ford-trucks-26.jpg

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

I thought lawyers were banned in one of the other posts already?  I had to weed through all of that crap before I got to some stuff I could understand.  Those big words tend to give me a headache.

Claimer rules are generally just an attempt at keeping the playing field level.  If you are building a car and have that in the back of your mind someone can take it off of you for only 500 clams, you may not cheat as much as you would if the rule was not in place.

"Sharp as Bear Claws and Slicker Than Goose Shit"
Lab Rats Motorsports
1990 VW Jetta
Charlotte, NC

I thought for sure when the bus got crushed at Reno that was a sign to the rest of us that Jay was going to  claim himself a new padock rig from one of the hella cheatin teams

troubleonwheels wrote:

I thought for sure when the bus got crushed at Reno that was a sign to the rest of us that Jay was going to  claim himself a new padock rig from one of the hella cheatin teams

I was trying to talk him into claiming that motorized Barcalounger that the Dirty Some Beaches team had at No Problem. Best Judgemobile ever!

MurileeMartin wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Instead of claiming, just make it a "judges choice" crusher. If somebody is that bad and doesn't by some miracle get peoples curse, just add Jays curse to it and crush two cars instead of one.

Or we can just put excessively bad drivers/cars on the trailer, as we've done so many times before.

So, that just kinda re-affirms that the claimer rule is a paper tiger... best to just get rid of it eh? (or use it - been plenty of uber cheater cars).

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

MurileeMartin wrote:

I was trying to talk him into claiming that motorized Barcalounger that the Dirty Some Beaches team had at No Problem. Best Judgemobile ever!

Actually, it was the best way to take a look around the paddock after two and half hours in the WagoVan!

If they let me pull the seat, I'd be eternally grateful to have the Craptation claimed in Stafford.  Somehow I don't think they would want it, though...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I know everybody laughs at the Citation, but I seem to remember the X-11 winning more than once in SCCA showroom stock back in the day....I believe the late X-11's  were more than just tape stripes

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Spinnetti wrote:

Only bad thing is, never have a rule that you won't enforce. It disrespects everybody and encourages flaunting all the rules. I'd just quietly remove that clause, and rely on peoples curse and stiff judging penalties.

1.5: Winners and Prizes: Recipient of the People's Choice Award, as determined by totally unscientific, and almost certainly totally unfair, pit-side opinion and chitchat, receives $500.

I've done 3 races and never voted on the People's Choice.  Supposedly we are not competitent enough but we can still vote to curse a car.

Sorry to disappoint you guys, I'm not a lawyer.  Just posted info from a business law class about contracts. 

So, is the issue black and white?  Judging from this discussion, you decide.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

What, exactly, is broken about Lemons that everyone keeps trying to fix? Have you participated in a Lemons weekend? Did you have a good time? Yes? Great, come on back for another. No? I don't think tweaking the rules will make you like it any better. Maybe some other series is more appropriate for you.

Unless, of course, you're complaining about Loverman. That's just good fun.

Bernal Dads Racing

Current cars: #245 Volvo, #670 Coming Soon!
Former cars: #38 Alfa Romeo Milano Cookie, #243 Molvo—Judge's Choice Sears Pointless 2011 (You like us! You really like us!)

jimeditorial wrote:

I know everybody laughs at the Citation, but I seem to remember the X-11 winning more than once in SCCA showroom stock back in the day....I believe the late X-11's  were more than just tape stripes

You haven't driven this particular Citation.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

brandon wrote:

What, exactly, is broken about Lemons that everyone keeps trying to fix? Have you participated in a Lemons weekend? Did you have a good time? Yes? Great, come on back for another. No? I don't think tweaking the rules will make you like it any better. Maybe some other series is more appropriate for you.

Damn, that should be put at the top of the board.  Everybody is running around like a chicken with its head chopped off trying to "fix" Lemons.

It sure doesn't look broke from here.

Fall South 09- 23rd place
Southern Discomfort '10 Magnum PU- 5th place
Spring South '10- 1st...... LOSER!

49 (edited by RobL 2009-06-26 09:14 AM)

jimeditorial wrote:

The only thing that I get out of this quote is that the SCCA was racing crapcans long before Jay created this series.  Now keep quiet about that - given the financial trouble that the SCCA is in, they may come after Jay for royalties.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The Claiming rule is there to discourage "alleged" cheating.  The officials are the ones that can use it not competitors/participants.

As a competitor, if you want a good or better car, shut your pie hole, pickup a wrench and build one.  No one is stopping you.  Your car is a good as you make it.

You ain't showing up with $500 and getting a cheap upgrade.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z