Topic: wife and (young) kid visiting?

My wife and three year old kid want to come see me race this weekend at Thunderhill.  Does anyone know if there are restrictions on where and when they can be?  I imagine that paddock is pretty dangerous for a little one (thinking about an actual leash!) but there also might be some seating they could hang out at.

Anyone done an event there before that knows the rules?

Re: wife and (young) kid visiting?

Keep your child under control and your head on a swivel.  The paddock is a dangerous place. 

My 2 year old will be there with my wife.    She loves the action, noise and the race cars... she's also likely to run out in front of one.   Kids love it, but you have to be careful

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

3 (edited by cbr 2010-08-03 12:07 AM)

We took out then 4 yr old and 6mo old daughters to Arse-Freeze last December on Sunday afternoon and the 4 year enjoyed it (the 6mo old just slept and/or watched but no screaming).  They'll both be coming to the race this weekend as well but both were, and will be, under very tight control (as in holding hands or no more than an arm length away).  The pits were bad but not any worth than a mall parking lot by Sunday afternoon.  I wasn't there Saturday so I can't speak for earlier in the weekend.

There's a tiny tiny play area fenced in over by registration, but not really any playthings in there. Just a small fenced brown lot about the size of a driveway. My 2 year old loved Infineon w/ Mama, but he wasn't there the whole time.

At Going for Broken at Thunderhill kids on bikes and scooters were a problem and Jay had to get on the loudspeaker many times to yell at parents to keep their kids under control. He even went so far as to say that the next kid he saw on a bike riding around he would pull all the wristbands of the drivers of whatever team the child was associated with. I think he hit his limit at that point.

I say welcome them to come along, but don't expect kids to stay engaged for more than a short while.

There were a good deal of kids running around Nelson Ledges last year, most of them didn't appear to be supervised. I'd say you'd be ok so long as you keep a good eye on them.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Great, thanks for the advice everyone.  I totally understand the head-on-a-swivel thing.  I don't think I could forgive myself for my little one getting hurt because of daddy's silly obsession.

I had my 6yo and 3yo out at the Summit Point race.  Things were OK.  We just kept them close.  It was great coming under the bridge and seeing them on the bridge cheering me on.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

blizzard wrote:

Great, thanks for the advice everyone.  I totally understand the head-on-a-swivel thing.  I don't think I could forgive myself for my little one getting hurt because of daddy's silly obsession.

There is no minimum age for Lemons drivers with parental concent... Just saying... What easier way to watch the kid?

Formerly Lemonade Time Racing.
I changed the name for political reasons.

John

I guess I could just tie her to the roof, but I don't think she would like that very much.

blizzard wrote:

I guess I could just tie her to the roof, but I don't think she would like that very much.

Haven't you ever seen Raising Arizona?

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

blizzard wrote:

Borrow a couple of Elmos from Elmo's Revenge to keep her occupied on the roof.

Rule 3.16 certainly contemplates the presence (if not absolute necessity) of having children not only at the track, but actively participating in the race.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Rule 3.16 certainly contemplates the presence (if not absolute necessity) of having children not only at the track, but actively participating in the race.

You mean as a windshield cleaner?  We do have a game where we sing "clean up time!"  So this might actually work.

14 (edited by Doug I 2010-08-03 12:08 PM)

3.16: Bad-Weather Visibility: It's your job to figure out which bad-weather visibility aids will be most useful for your car. Wipers, Rain-X, tearoffs, small squeegee-wielding children tied to the hood, etc. are all acceptable.

Just make sure the squeegee is restrained by a lanyard so it can't get dropped.  If it was dropped you'd simply then have a small child tied to the hood - not acceptable.  I would apply the 'etc' part in the execution of the rule in that I'd tie them to the roof, so that in the act of squeegeeing they don't compromise your view hence causing you to fall foul of the "visibility appears compromised during the race for any reason, you may be black-flagged until conditions improve." language within the rule.

Of course all the preceding in my reply is intended to be only read and in no way to be implemented in the real world.

Doug I wrote:
blizzard wrote:

Borrow a couple of Elmos from Elmo's Revenge to keep her occupied on the roof.

No problem.  Do you want some bubbles too?

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_e7hvsFoDXtg/SfSEsLWUBlI/AAAAAAAAANQ/HcbZ-o_P_Fk/s320/leash.jpg

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
blizzard wrote:

There is no minimum age for Lemons drivers with parental concent... Just saying... What easier way to watch the kid?

Don't you have to have a valid drivers license?

m610 wrote:

Don't you have to have a valid drivers license?

She can drive a tricycle - probably the same performance as most of the cars out for this weekend.

Just never ever never ever ever ever EVER ask your female driver(s) to watch the kid(s) for you.

Just sayin'.

Well, *maybe,* if she's the mom.

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

blizzard wrote:

She can drive a tricycle - probably the same performance as most of the cars out for this weekend.

It's scary when your feet come off the pedals going into turn 1....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

jkfoto wrote:

Just never ever never ever ever ever EVER ask your female driver(s) to watch the kid(s) for you.

Just sayin'.

Well, *maybe,* if she's the mom.

Didn't Paul tell you that this was the plan for Houston, Judy? wink Well, I wasn't going to ask, more like just foist them upon you unannounced, actually...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.