Topic: B.S. Inspection and documentation...is it worth it to put together?

Do the judges care about seeing receipts, a bill of sale, copies of eBay auction listings (Parts coming in or going out), or do they just go with their gut and knowledge?

Our team plans to put all of this into a folder or something and take it with us to show our bottom line in our build, but is it going to be looked at?

The reality is that a lot of it would be easy to fake, so I am wondering if it is even worth the effort to gather it all up and present it.

Re: B.S. Inspection and documentation...is it worth it to put together?

the quick answer is "maybe".....it all depends on the overall crappiness of the car you bring...if you bring a 2005 Mini cooper....pretty much all the paperwork you bring is worthless...even if a bill of sale from the POPE is in there.....

But say you race a BMW or mercedes that has lots of unneeded parts you can sell to offset costs...then I would bring them..... 

Documentation is always good to have.....I always brought it.....just in case the judges ask for it

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

From Rule 4.4:
"Entrants are very, very, exceedingly strongly encouraged to bring pre-race-prep photographs, verifiable receipts, notarized testimonials, plus any and all other supporting evidence to Tech/BS Inspection. Or at least make up plausible-sounding stories in advance."

IOW, what Icemang said.  If your car's an IOE contender, don't worry too much about it.  Otherwise, you're really taking your chances.  The only thing that pisses the judges off more than a cheater is a lazy cheater.

If it ain't broken, fix it 'til it is.

If you have it, bring it. We had all the paperwork for our supercharged GTP at Summit Point, but we were forced to do BS right after tech so we didn't have it with us or our costumes on. We were looking at 70 laps despite having a totally stock OEM setup but managed to get it down to 10 laps after some quick talking. At CMP will not make that mistake again.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

I think the real question is this:  What carries the most weight when it comes to minimizing penalty laps, comprehensive documentation, baksheesh, or theme?

Given that documentation is the only thing on that list that can be forged, I'm guessing it's the least important, but I'm still a relative n00b so I'll be interested to hear what the true vets think.

The most important thing is not having a cheaty car or a racey car. Miatas and e30's always get more scrutiny because there is an entire universe of Spec racing parts out there that just bolt on.

After that, legitimate documentation and theme seem to go hand in hand. A Craigslist printout is obviously less valuable than a PayPal receipt. Theme helps here; if you have a well executed theme, there's more entertainment value provided to everyone.

Baksheesh comes last, and it's mostly to reduce the penalty laps you already deserve. More cheaty requires more outlandish bribery. Too cheaty and there's no level of bribery that can get around the laps. Probably.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We (and by we I mean super-spouse) documented EVERYTHING on the Killer Bee. The wife put it all together organized and labeled in a nice package.

They looked at the MGB for a second and said "Not much to say, Zero laps." All that work never even made it out of the trunk.

The Dead Smurfs however showed up in a Miata with zero documentation and got 1,200 laps.

Those are the extremes, it depends on what you enter. Most cars fall somewhere in the middle. I wouldn't bother documenting a Citroen unless you are REALLY bored, but a Mazda should probably cover their bases.

The level of defense should agree with the nature of the crime.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I think that there's a different level of scrutiny applied to cars depending on how long they've been around (for better or worse). A car that's in its first event seems to get a little more scrutiny than one that's been through the mill a few times, been blowed up, etc. Of course, a car that has been found to be cheaty in the past probably gets even more scrutiny the next time through, so it all evens out.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

yes and no...you need to bring it to have some evidence, but it's not a sure thing that they'll believe it anyway

I'd say the effectiveness of any supporting documentation goes down exponentially in relation to the persistence of a team trying to convince a judge to believe it. If you've got a perceived cheaty car, it wouldn't hurt to have some receipts. But I'd wait till they ask for it and then just let them look it over without trying to defend it. The more eager you seem, the more suspicious they'll be.

A good theme will definitely take the heat off from both the judges and the curse voting mob. The exception to this rule is when a team does very nice looking bodywork/paint. Which is pretty stupid considering it has ZERO performance advantage, yet will make other teams think an otherwise meh-performing car is somehow a super cheater. Probably just based on extending that level of prep to the rest of the car.

So to answer your question, the only surefire way to reduce your penalty laps and avoid a curse is to have at least a dozen of these around the car at all times...

http://www.eddsport.co.uk/images/wallpaper/gridgirls/016.jpg

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

Heart click...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Bring everything. Also put together a simple expenses/credits list as a summary, so we can see all your lies in one place.

If you're driving a Renault Fuego Turbo, you don't need any documentation at all.

Document EVERYTHING. 

We run a Fox and they barely looked at it last year, but this year as soon as the judge felt how stiff our front suspension was (and commented), I quickly whipped out a receipt for a pair of Monroe Sensa craps and all was right in the world.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Judge Phil wrote:

Bring everything. Also put together a simple expenses/credits list as a summary, so we can see all your lies in one place.

If you're driving a Renault Fuego Turbo, you don't need any documentation at all.

If you are driving ANY Renault discharge papers should be presented. big_smile

My BS story.

Our Camaro was a prize find, even I had to admit that it was VERY clean for $500.  So I made sure we had all our recipts in order for BS inspection.  AS we pushed it into BS Johnny bounced on the car a few times to see how stiff the suspenstion was and then popped the hood.  He asked me if the headers were on the car when we got it, I told him no and showed him the recipt for them, he then asked me if I was going to lie and tell him that it was only a 350.  I smiled and said, "heck no, its a 305!" he then told me that he was going to find out how much I was lying.  He had one of the other BS guys come up to the car with a boroscope!  He pulled out one the breathers and took a peek inside and said, "I see stock GM rockers and lots of oil sludge!"  They both shook their heads at me and told me to "Push this shit outta here!!" and gave us a zero...much to the chagrin of some of the onlookers.

We didn't even need to use our cheese to get zero laps....but we still gave it to them.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

When we had our 99 LeSabre, they just looked at us for a second, laughed and said "A Buick!? HAHHAHAHA, get the hell out of here!"

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

If you don't bring documentation, it shows disrespect to the judges.  You should bring it whether you need it or not. (unless you're driving a fuego)

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

18 (edited by cdickman12 2010-08-08 07:16 PM)

Went through first BS inspection at the Arse Sweat a Palooza. Brought in a legitimately $125 paid for Crown Vic from a friends Salvage yard. Jay looked at me and said that iot was total BS that I only paid 125, they both agreed it was worth at least 175 to 200 bucks, gave us 5 laps for that, then asked me for the documentationa which had the rims and tires listed as sold items for 100, docked us 10 laps for the sale of the wheels. 15 laps given, they barely looked at paperwork but asked for it. But with a little bribe they took off 5 laps. We were given 10 BS laps, but we got that Sweet ass "Bribed" stenciled on the hood of our car. My advice is to have it in case they ask in the most organized fashion.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

PunisherBass wrote:

When we had our 99 LeSabre, they just looked at us for a second, laughed and said "A Buick!? HAHHAHAHA, get the hell out of here!"

Lol, they have a similar reaction to our Fox!

I have to disagree on the comment that nice paint etc will get you in trouble.  If it completes your theme, I think it definitely helps.  We just sailed through BS at Arse Sweat with a well done, clean theme.  We had all our paperwork but they didn't even ask how much we paid for the car much less to see any receipts.  The amount of smush and wobble that occurred when they shoved on the (140K mile, bone stock, trashed by wannabe drifter previous owner) front suspension didn't hurt either.

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

vizlvr wrote:

I have to disagree on the comment that nice paint etc will get you in trouble.  If it completes your theme, I think it definitely helps.  We just sailed through BS at Arse Sweat with a well done, clean theme.  We had all our paperwork but they didn't even ask how much we paid for the car much less to see any receipts.  The amount of smush and wobble that occurred when they shoved on the (140K mile, bone stock, trashed by wannabe drifter previous owner) front suspension didn't hurt either.

Actually by nice paint I think if theres a shiny *factory* paintjob on the car that would clue the judges in that maybe this car wasn't a $500 heap.  I don't think if you paint it up for your theme well its the same issue.  They can't hold artistic ability against you!

I was told there'd be no math.

Make your documentation succinct.  We found a guy liquidating his late father-in-law's extensive parts collection - a bunch of which we snagged for our 924.  We spent some $300 on assorted wheels, spares, etc..  and used only some of them on the vehicle (and some were exempt like the wheels, etc..)  We showed up with a folder, scraps of paper - and an excel spreadsheet with some calculations for that parts were used and what % of the overall trove that value would equate to.
The judges took one look at a sheet of formulas and gave us penalty laps.

Also - we bribe no matter what.  We bribed last time with 0 penalty laps.  Most of the hooch goes to the workers, so they'll look the other way when our driver wings a crescent wrench at your radiator as you pass us on the straights.

i think I've said too much...

Paluck
Rooster Juice Racing
Bay Area, CA

23 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-08-09 02:11 PM)

Phil had a post about this already and I talked with with him Sunday about BS laps. In a nutshell the more unsusual the car/theme - the older the better - basically no problemo. Newer the car (i.e. late 80's or newer) no matter how well documented it is, you just may be on the BS radar.  That is no gaurantee you'll get laps, but more likely than a pre-80's car.

If you look hard enough and if you're at the right place at the right time, you can get killer $500 cars, I know you can, but if it's just "too good a deal" or was modified by any previous owner, be prepared to have some BS laps.  I have been to 3 Lemons races with an honest-to-God $500 car and have been hit with BS laps each time, just this last event at Thunderhill was the most yet.  It is what it is.  Turns out it didn't matter cuzz we suffered a terminal brake fluid leaking problem anyway, we DNF'ed

I didn't like being hit with the laps and worse yet being called a cheater, but once we got hit with the BS laps, our goal of finishing in the top 20 obviously changed, but our goal of no black flags and going faster then we did before at Thunderhill, meet new and a wee bit twisted people like us and party hardy Friday and Saturday night were all met!!  Actually we did recieve 2 black flags - one on each day - but since they were "mechanical" when the brake pedel hit the floor and the car flew off track, Phil just said go fix the damn thing before you go back on track, so I don't consider them "punishable" black flags. (i.e passing under yeallow, spins, 2-4 wheels off, contact, speeding in the pits, etc.)

Anyway BS laps can be an unknown factor at a Lemons race, no doubt about it. Some people that get 'em leave ya scratching your head as to why and others get essentially 0 and you wonder how that was possible. I talked with a fellow driver that has participated in 16 Lemons races and he cant figure out BS laps either.

From what I got from everyone, they assessed more than normal at Thunderhill this last weekend and it varies from race to race-just be prepared and if you have no bribe you are missing out on one of the parts of the whole Lemons "experience". I was so impressed with how everyone there was so apt to dive in and help one another for the sake of getting everyone out on the track. You will have a great time-hopefully you do not have to work on your car the whole weekend, but if so do not be afraid to ask anyone for parts or tools, the majority are willing to jump in and give you a hand-totally opposite from what I expected.

'13  Sonoma - Class B Crown Vic, 14 Sonoma IOE - Race Rambler!, Autobahn Class C+IOE #Racevan!, '15 Thill IOE Winner - Omega!, '16 Ridge - IOE - Avanti!, '17 THill Class C Winner - Omega, Butt IOE - Race 411, Sonoma IOE - Aztek '18 Butt - IOE - Allante, MSR - IOE - '41 Olds - '19 Butt-Class C - Allante, '20 Covid, '21 THill-Class B - Omega, Sonoma - IOE and HWG  - Satellite, '22 Sonoma - HWG-Tojan

Judge Jonny and I did math right there at BS.  I was 13.50 under the 500.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!