Topic: Roll cage inspection hole

Do the judges want a 3/16 hole on the main hoop behind the driver?

Re: Roll cage inspection hole

we have not been asked in 6 races in the gulf region, though our cages are professionally built and dont look like they may be black iron pipe or painted pvc. If yours falls in the later, maybe a hole will be required.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

summit point is the only place i've seen it done, and they had their own drill in the tech line to put a hole

eljefe17 wrote:

summit point is the only place i've seen it done, and they had their own drill in the tech line to put a hole

Sensible....back in the day, I once heard of a small nut welded into a tube and drilled out. A little grinding and your "inspection hole" is a hell of a lot thicker than the tubes...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Yeah, but you aren't cheating the inspectors...

EriktheAwful wrote:

Yeah, but you aren't cheating the inspectors...

X2 bajillion.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

If everyone thought that way, we wouldn't need an inspection hole! I've raced with guys that would cheat just to pull a fast one on tech......kind of a Smokey Yunick thing...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I guess I don't think like normal.  Well, that's obvious, I AM here.

The rules require 1-1/2" tube, so my cage is 1-5/8" and one or two gage thicker than min. requirement, just because.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

instant karma has a tendency to drop in suddenly and unannounced like a flying miata crushing your skull.

because your cage failed.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

10 (edited by chaase 2010-08-10 06:03 AM)

eljefe17 wrote:

The Summit Point course was a fast course. There wasn't a lot of room for mistakes in some places either, so I am guessing that is why they were more strict. We were clocking near 100mph on the big straight in the little Saturn.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner