Topic: Death of the Death Cab

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend!  We had a fantastic time.  Well, right up until about an hour from the end, as seems our MO...

After running "flat out" for 15 hours to see how many of our 30 BS laps we could recoup, the engine, which has run untouched for 9 events, finally gave up.  I wish it had just done so in a more spectacular fashion, maybe with some fire or a giant smoke cloud at the very least.  Instead, it just spit oil on the windshield for 15 hours and then this:

http://www.vimeo.com/14003076

Sigh.

We'll be back.  I imagine with a new theme and a new car.

Cheers,

Dean

Re: Death of the Death Cab

I loved hearing that car go by, whether I was track-side watching you go down the back straight or in the car watching you blow by me again and again.

Sorry to hear the car has died. It should go in the Musee d'Lemons. It's a classic west coast Lemons car that had a great history on the track.

Great driving as usual.
Thanks for the update.
Sorry about the motor.

I was out after 3:00 on Sunday and "No Death Cab"?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

It was probably that extra time with the thrust-upon-you dyno run that did you in (besides the attributed penalty laps).

That couldn't have been it.  We only ran it up to 3000 rpm's on the dyno.  How do you think we kept the HP numbers so low? wink

I was feeling great, dicing it and hanging nose to tail up with your driver on Sunday. 

Then I found out you only had 4th gear...

Still had an awesome time!  I'll be sorry to see that car go.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Dean, I just watched some exciting video of the Death Cab from our rear wing mounted chase cam.

I'll post a clip later.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

We only had 4th gear from about 1pm on Saturday on...  No one was more surprised than me that it was the engine that took us out this time!  Truth be told, having only 4th gear wasn't really a problem - i.e. it didn't slow us down all that much.  Not having 5th hurt in the straights, but all drivers magically learned to carry more momentum through the turns.

Getting started out of the pit lane and getting caught behind a cluster f*&k at T5 where cars nearly come to a stop were the only real problems.  Oh, and the pace laps on Sunday morning!

I'll see if I can find some of our more interesting moments on video and post them.

Cheers,

Dean

Jesus! I leave for one race... Also, how'd you get 30 laps? Was this Phil's weird theory that the 9" Ford rear would make people suspicious?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

10 (edited by dtfastbear 2010-08-09 11:01 AM)

Jay decided to dyno the car at MCE, I guess because he was curious.  After the dyno pulls, Fish mistakenly told Jay it made 250 HP and Jay gave us 30 laps.  When Fish went back to correct his mistake (car made less than 200), Jay said "you can plead your case to the crowd at the drivers' meeting."  In the world of Lemons, that's about as fair a shake as you can expect! We thought we had a pretty good shot at getting a reduced sentence. smile

Fish did that (he even wore a taxi dress) and the crowd was *decidedly* in favor of giving us 30 laps.  Seems like all the people we tried to bribe with free beer on Friday night either forgot by Saturday morning or didn't bother to attend the drivers meeting.  What sort of world do we live in when you can't successfully bribe people with free beer!!!

Doesn't matter.  We had fun.  We ran the same race that we would have run if we were in contention for the lead.  And, we broke anyway.

I recused myself from all BS inspection-related activities with the V8 Volvo.

We actually dynoed four cars, all of which proved to be non-cheaty.

Free Beer, I never heard about free beer.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Bummer about your motor.  That V-8 Volvo not only sounded and looked way cool, it was expertly driven with perfect lines, well-controlled 4 wheel drift's thru the corners and cleanly executed passes.  My guess is without that blown motor and 30 totally BS laps (I yelled as loud as I could "no BS laps") you guys had the field pretty well covered.  Did you get some 2:15 or faster laps?

Love that car, sad to see it go.  But I'll be glad to see you out of those dresses.

priapism wrote:

Love that car, sad to see it go.  But I'll be glad to see you out of those dresses.

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

You guys had better pray that my "Crown Victoria's Secret" idea gets shot down by my teammates.

Sorry to hear about your engine, you guys were fast and had a great theme! Always a little scary seeing Death Cab in my rear view. Looking forward to you guys next time with a new car and theme.

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

18 (edited by SQ Bimmer 2010-08-09 06:10 PM)

dtfastbear wrote:

You guys had better pray that my "Crown Victoria's Secret" idea gets shot down by my teammates.

You all need to wear those "PINK" sweatpants and sweatshirts all weekend. Please don't wear anything more revealing than that. TIA

EDIT: Oh, unless it's your wives/GFs, they can get as revealing as they wish. Buttonwillow will be cold though...

Barbarian Motor Works
-#88 '86 325e Team Charity Case *RIP*
-#88 '89 325is Baby Blue Babyz *re-themed*
-#84 '89 325is Panzer Tank *CURRENT*

A fitting epitaph for a fantastic car:  On Sunday, when the V8olvo was down to one gear (and still laying down some of the fastest lap times of the race), a visibly shaken driver came to see me in the penalty box.  The corner workers had radioed that he had spun off the track.  I asked what happened.

"Man, I saw the Death Cab coming up in my mirrors," he said, shaking his head.  "I sorta freaked out and lost control.  I was only trying to stay out of that thing's way."

The V8olvo was a damn fine race car, but I'm more impressed by the terror it struck into the hearts of fellow racers!

Man, your comm sounded awesome!

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

21 (edited by BZvarich86 2010-08-09 08:51 PM)

Armand4 wrote:

"Man, I saw the Death Cab coming up in my mirrors," he said, shaking his head.  "I sorta freaked out and lost control.  I was only trying to stay out of that thing's way."

!

Haha. That was me. Last turn before the main straight. I saw you coming up real quick up my rear. I freaked out and wasn't too sure which side you were going to pass me on and locked up my brakes.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y28/Realhotguy77/flaminrods.jpg?t=1281415000

If not the Musee d'Lemons, it should go in the Sacramento Auto Museum. Great car, and great team.

m610 wrote:

If not the Musee d'Lemons, it should go in the Sacramento Auto Museum. Great car, and great team.

Also remember that Jesse, John Pagel, Jack Baruth, Judge Phil and myself have all driven that car in anger. Some more than others. Wink, wink, nudge nudge.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

early on day 1 the passenger header developed a crack which ended up seperating the runners from the collector, saturday night I made a new collector from scratch and reinforced the driver side that was begining to fail. ill see if we can get some pics.

From the first time team, Dirty Duck Racing Magic Rabbit #83, you guys are awesome. To watch (always from behind) your lines and your respectful passes was a pleasure for us beginners. We learned very quickly that when we saw your headlights coming up, hold your line and the Death Cab will easily come by.

Also, now I know why on Sunday our little GTI crapcan was able to  stay relatively close to you  guys through the twisty bits! I think a single gear should be required for all V8's! I think I will throw that into Jay's suggestion box.

Dirty Duck Racing, #83 VW Rabbit GTI
'10,'11,12,'13 -Thunderhill, '10,'11,'12,'13,'14 - Buttonwillow, '11,'12,'13,'14 Sears Pointless, '11-Fernley, '13 Sears Even More Pointless-Class B Winner,  '11,'13 Arse-Freeze Sears Point, Return of the LeMonites Miller Motorsports-Class B Winner, '13 A&D Northworst GT-Overall Winner in MT-GT