Topic: Newbie cage question !!

Hi there ! I am registered to hopefully race at Chicago 10/23-10/24. I have a 93 ford probe, that I have installed a cage in. However , reading some of the forums I now have concerns about how my halo bar attaches to my main hoop. When I installed the cage I believed it to be overkill in safety. I am a taller driver and this design gives me a couple extra inches of headroom . I am attaching a picture of the design I used. Can you tell me if this will pass tech. I'd hate to have to fix it on raceday.

Is there someone I can email directly regarding this?

Thanks for the help!
http://sz0095.ev.mail.comcast.net/servi … amp;part=2

Re: Newbie cage question !!

Can you host that picture somewhere else?  It's attached to an email on a private server... 

Otherwise, feel free to send some pics to me - rob_leone@verizon.net - and I'll take a look at it.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Sorry for the bad link! Still trying to learn how to attach photos. I just emailed it to you ! Thank you !

4 (edited by RobL 2010-08-12 04:33 AM)

This is the cage:

https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/productimages/001356.jpg

I let him know that as presented (I don't know what else is in the kit)
The halo hoop needs to connect to main hoop differently (welded directly to it)
The door bars need to connect to the front uprights directly
Kit needs a diagonal, rear stay bars, and mounting plates.
What does the "telescoping" a-pillar post mean?  That piece needs to be one piece of material.
and in the description it says the tubes are "notched" together not welded.  I don't know what that means but all the tubes need to be 360 welded to each other.

Also - no specs were given on the order page about material, diameter, thickness, or type (DOM vs. ERW) - so I have no idea if the actual tubing will pass.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

5 (edited by Anarchyjet 2010-08-12 12:35 PM)

That is a cage kit from lefthander chassis.  It is 1.75 x .095 ERW.  The telescoping 'A' pillar means the halo can be adjusted forward and back through the gussets to match the roof length.  The door bars are cut to length and mount as one piece, the pic just showes the extra material to fit different lengths.  Not a bad kit for $225.
Also, I thought that was a completely legit way to mount the halo to the main hoop.  I think other have passed with only one gusset per side and this kit uses 2 per side.  I'm no expert but with a few add ons it should make a good Lemons cage.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

6 (edited by BoB 2010-08-12 12:41 PM)

As most of these threads eventually say you should email Nick and Jay they will have the final say on this.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

It'll fail, fail and fail.  Needs rear stays, the a-pillar bar has to be one piece, the door bars should also be one piece, those little 90 degree offset spacers to the front down bar make each door bar two pieces, needs a diagonal (preferably one piece) in the main hoop.  We actually allow this kind of mounting from the main hoop to the halo if it is welded properly and the rear stays attach to the same piece of flat plate gusseting.  It allows a higher halo bar with a complete weld...   Not common in road racing, but very common in circle track.   

I've talked to the guys at lefthander and they are working on a Lemons package.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

8 (edited by Killerb583 2010-08-12 05:21 PM)

I guess i should have explained a little better. My cage is not exactly the same as the one pictured. I only used that picture because it does show how my halo bar is attached to my many hoop. I do have rear stays, spreader plates, harness bar and diaganal bar (although it is two pieces). I do have similar door bars but all three are bent in at the front and welded 360 degrees to upright. Cage tubing is 1-3/4"x .120 DOM. Except the rear stays are 1-1/2" only because the car is under 3000 lbs

(notched but not welded) means they bend all the pipes and fishmouth them but dont weld them together. welding is the buyers job when you get the cage home. My uprights are one piece.

My only concern with the cage is where the Halo bar mounts to the main hoop. It is the same as the picture i am posting, i just want to know if that part is legal?

the rest of the cage in the picture is not the same as the cage i am putting in the car. I did not buy that cage in the picture im making my own.

Thanka for all the info and help.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/cyclebillycustoms/scan0001.jpg

Notch and weld the halo directly to the main hoop and you should be good.  If its already welded as shown, I would weld small square plates between the gussets and the main hoop (opposite sides of the square welded to each gusset and one side welded to the main hoop) and plead your case with Jay.  That setup should be just as strong as a direct weld, but you'd need to get buyoff from the organizers.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again