Topic: Roll Cage W/O Passenger Side Door Bar

The Roll Cage rules never addresses the passenger side door.

Will a roll cage W/O a passenger side bar(s) fail?

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/e30jockey/P1000444.jpg

Re: Roll Cage W/O Passenger Side Door Bar

If the rules state you must have one and don't, then you will fail. Simple as that.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Yes it will fail.  That isn't a cage.  Check out 3.1.2  A cage has door bars.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Adding a straight across door bar should only take about 15 minutes to make and install and it adds to the structure of the cage. 

Trevor57 wrote:

Yes it will fail.  That isn't a cage.  Check out 3.1.2  A cage has door bars.

This isn't correct.  The bars that are mandated for a cage are spelled out:

At minimum, cage must include: Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline; two driver-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; one main-hoop diagonal; appropriate spreader plates and gussets; complete 360-degree welds at all joints. Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube. Shoulder-harness bars strongly encouraged, and virtually necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in some applications (the attachment point of all shoulder harnesses must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the seat entry point); dash bars very strongly encouraged.

A passenger side door bar is not required.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

But in my mind it just doesn't look 'right' without at least one on the pass. side.  As Rob said it's so easy to put at least one in ....

And it'll assist with the load path for energy dissipation during a bad day.

When I said it would fail, I wasn't talking about tech.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

I suspect this is another one of those sneaky rules misses and any cage without at least one door bar (even though it isn't in the rules) would fail tech.

I'm pretty sure that the prior version of the rules required at least one door bar on each side and so I wonder if that didn't get mistakenly removed when the revision for two driver's side bars got inserted. It's not redlined that way, but I just seem to remember it.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We haven't planned on installing a passenger door bar in the Jaggernaut. If we need one, we need to know now. We're finishing the cage next saturday.

We most likely will add a bar to the passenger side, but the cage builder, my younger brother, built the cage to satisfy all the stated requirements and no more.

The main reason I posted here was to be sure we didn't get screwed on tech day by the "catch all" phrase "Professionally made full roll cage required". I could see the judges saying:

Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline; Check
two driver-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); Check
appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; Check
one main-hoop diagonal; Check
appropriate spreader plates and gussets; Check
complete 360-degree welds at all joints. Check
Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube. Check
Shoulder-harness bars strongly encouraged, and virtually necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in some applications (the attachment point of all shoulder harnesses must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the seat entry point); Check

......What the hell, no bar on the passenger door? Failed

We didn't have a passenger door bar at Lemons South in April '09 and passed tech.  That being said, I didn't feel confident with it so we have added one for our next race.

11 (edited by sergio 2010-08-15 02:36 PM)

Ours has one diagonal passenger door bar. 5 races and never had a problem in tech about the cage.

I would contact Lemons HQ for a clarification.

12 (edited by jimeditorial 2010-08-15 06:00 PM)

IMO there are other places to add a bar that is time better spent than across the passenger door.....no passenger bar required is a sensible rule. Anything that hits hard enough to reach you from the passenger side will kill you bar or not. Excessive rigidity is good to a point, but deformability reduces G-loads on your body too...any place you can soften the impact and still protect the driver is good...and a horizontal bar does nothing to triangulate the main cage structure.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I believe that both the coROLLa and the Craptation ran their first races without passenger door bars.  They'll let it through.  Note that both of those cars now have both door and dash bars.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Put it in, it will help the rigidity.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

But put it in diagonally....

Jim "Endo" Anderton

We'll add the passenger side door bar, it just may have to wait until after the Sept. race.
We got to get the engine running well before we move on to the "nice to have" list.

A dash bar is also on the list. 

The cage is made out of ERW tubing too, so if DOM is ever mandated then the cage will get replaced.

Sounds like the cage will have good chance of passing tech, as is. 
Thanks for all the replys.

Some more pics

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/e30jockey/P1000445.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/e30jockey/P1000443.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af279/e30jockey/P1000446.jpg

Those dual driver's door bars may comply with the letter of the rules, but I don't think that they quite meet the spirit of the rules.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

your harness bar needs to continue all the way across to the other B-pillar

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

If you could add a swing out bar right at the sill of the door you can add lots of side impact protection with ease of entry...If it's hinged at the front, and the rear fits into a solidly welded "pocket" with a stout clevis for retention you could add it pretty easily...maybe without bends either. Don't know if the Men in Black would approve of a swing-out as a supplementary bar over the required two....has anvbody tried this?

Jim "Endo" Anderton

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

your harness bar needs to continue all the way across to the other B-pillar

Not really.

Shoulder-harness bars strongly encouraged, and virtually necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in some applications (the attachment point of all shoulder harnesses must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the seat entry point);

The harness bar itself is not required and it's not required to run the width of the main hoop.  With that said...  It's a very good idea to have a harnees bar and have it run the full width of the main hoop.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:

The harness bar itself is not required and it's not required to run the width of the main hoop.  With that said...  It's a very good idea to have a harnees bar and have it run the full width of the main hoop.

Your right, but unfortunately, it is not the same tech inspector for every track, or even different races at the same track. It is whatever the tech inspector says, on that day. If one wants a passenger door bar and a full length harness bar, at 4PM friday, he would be boned. He would have to scramble to get material and weld it in.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

After looking at lots of pics from other races and from what I saw at the spring race at MSRH, the harness bar doesn't NEED to be the full span of the rear hoop.  Once again this cage is strickly the minimum required.

The car has side impact beams embedded in both doors so there is some additional protection for hits to the doors.

Even with the double bars being low in the door frame, it's still a bitch to get into and out of the car..... I'm old.

Tech just can't make up rules as they go along.  Unless there are other problems with a cage, they can't just make you add bars that are not mandated by the rules.

That is the most skin-of-the-teeth cage I have ever seen. I wouldn't race in it.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

djcommie wrote:

That is the most skin-of-the-teeth cage I have ever seen. I wouldn't race in it.

You should have seen some of the cages that passed during the 2007-2008 season.
His cage is the Cadillac of cages compared to some of those. Although I do agree that it is very minimalist it will pass the requirements of the Roll cage 3.1 Ruling.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/