Topic: Off Topic: But If I don't ask, I can't get anyone to help so here goes

What a difference a few months make:

May 2010:

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/2753710/PICT0017_detail.JPG

August 2010:

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/3368175/MeganMakingStrides_detail.jpg

This is a pretty big OT (off topic) thread, but I just got to hear my wife speak today in front of a conference room of 1000 people and tell her survivor story, so I figure this post is at least one thing I can do to help her and show her my continuing support.

I haven't exactly gone "public" with this info mostly because neither I nor my wife want any pity or sorrowful looks or whathaveyou and we agreed that while going through what is now this past year we'd just try to keep life as normal as possible [and with me, the term "normal" might not exactly be what most others would call "normal" smile ]

I'm still not wanting any pity, any "I'm sorry's" nor am I wanting any charity: What I want is if you are able to help, and were already intending to make a contribution to a worthy cause in the coming months, please consider supporting my wife and her goal to raise money for the American Cancer Society through the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk.

Backstory: Both unfortunately and thankfully, Mrs. Spank's oldest sister had undergone the BRCA genetic testing and found she was BRCA1 positive and learned how drastically the risks for ovarian and breast cancer were increased. She shared this information with the other 3 sisters, Mrs. Spank included, and shortly thereafter was herself diagnosed with breast cancer-- 1 year before Mrs. Spank...

Mrs. Spank was diagnosed June 25th 2009 with Breast Cancer that was found to have spread into her sentinal nodes and on July 23rd had a double mastectomy. After recovering from that surgery, she underwent an oophorectomy because she found out she was, as she had suspected, BRCA1 positive. (She had opted not to get the testing done because, as she puts it, "I already had the feeling that I was but I wanted to try and have a family before I was forced into making any other decisions." [There are many reasons to think long and hard before getting the genetic testing for the BRCA1 break and hers is just one]

Even though she herself hadn't been tested, this genetic information and her sister's status allowed my wife to get more aggressive screenings than would otherwise NOT be the norm for most insurance companies and HMOs. Despite carrying a cancer that had "spread", we still feel we benefited from an early diagnosis.

Mrs. Spank finished her chemotherapy in February (and Going for Broken was her first time doing something fun since finishing chemo) and is scheduled to have reconstruction in September, just a few days after her 41st birthday. Through ALL of this, she has not only supported me in my crazy endeavors with Lemons (both of my IOE builds and awards were while we were going through this), she has continued to work full time, or as close to it as her medical schedules would allow, and been a wonderful mom to our young son.

She is one amazing woman.

If you feel like you can and want to help, please visit this link to her Making Strides Against Breast Cancer page.

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?px=80 … fId=540692

If you are unable or unwilling to help, please consider passing the link along to someone who may. It only takes a second.

There are zillions of worthwhile charities out there in the world, but Mrs. Spank has chosen this one (even before she was diagnosed!) because the money goes to the American Cancer Society and is for the fight against ALL forms of cancer, not just breast cancer. While the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer fund raiser targets breast cancer awareness, the funds are used against all cancers.

Thanks for your taking the time to read this far.

Re: Off Topic: But If I don't ask, I can't get anyone to help so here goes

Kick ass, sir. Give her the props she deserves from us here.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Great example to us all......our daughter had a scare late last year but we escaped this trauma for now....strength to you both and keep inspiring people who need reminding that we need to enjoy every day!  We already support the Cancer Trust in the UK but happy to wave the flag here too!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Sounds like you got yourself quite the amazing woman there Mr. Spank.

I'll be passing along the link through our channels.  We've raised quite a bit of money through our racing, and hopefully a few of our generous givers will pledge.  I might even crack open some wallets of those tightwad drivers of mine.

Best of luck to you both!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories, words of encouragement, and on behalf of Mrs. Spank, for helping her get closer to her goal. It's tough to know what to say both when asking for help and when hearing the struggles of others, but it all helps to hear how we are not alone in the desire to see that future generations have it better.

Early intervention does indeed offer the best chances for success while battling this disease. Unfortunately, in this economy, many people are having to fore go cancer screenings because of job loss and rising insurance costs. Both the American Cancer Society and Susan G. Komen Foundation offer resources on how to get no-cost and low-cost mammograms. It's not the easiest information to find on their websites, but if you call your local chapters on their toll-free lines they will give you as much information as you need (and then some!) applicable to your local area. Make sure your loved ones know this. Believe me, I know it's a tough topic to bring up in casual conversation but that conversation could be a life-saver. My wife pointedly encouraged a couple of her coworkers to get screenings and I think at least 2 required aggressive follow-ups.

I won't keep bringing up this thread. As I said, it's hard to ask for help and I certainly don't want to be a pain or a downer (or a cheerleader) and this isn't exactly the purpose of this site. But after thinking about it, staying silent was helping nobody.

Thanks again and best wishes to you all who are all too familiar with this entirely-too-common story.

Thought it prudent to post this link in this thread since the news story is getting some heavy rotation today:

http://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/news … mens-lives