Topic: When to retheme?

I'm sure folks get tired of seeing the same themes over and over again, and I for one love that eyesore and cannonball bandits re-theme for practically every event.

Team Bean has run a year (4 Lemons events) using the same Mr. Bean theme and while I've tried to use the residuals to upgrade to make the A-series engine turbocharged, I've been unsuccessful because the residuals have been consumed by the need to just simply keep the thing in running or semi-running condition.

So the changes have not exactly been noteworthy (unless you count 3 destroyed motors in 2 events noteworthy) and I'm worried about going past the shelf life, despite there always being a new team of drivers behind the wheel.

Half of me wants to retheme the Mini to something different, but the other half (and a few outsiders) think Mr. Bean should live on and I should reserve the other theme ideas for the other mini that I'm preparing (I've got some good ones up my sleeve).

Should we (and other teams) retheme after a year?

Re: When to retheme?

Some themes should live on, like Faster Farms, FedUp, and Mr Bean, among others.

Should I sell you the bobsled theme? I know I don't have to sell you on it, hehe
I had a thought on that though - the french car should run under the Cool Runnings theme 'cause half the Caribbean countries speak french. That'd still leave the USSR/GDR combat up for grabs.

good bye pork pie would not be so good - the mini was exploded at the end...

Personally, I think that cars should be rethemed at least every calendar year. Of course, that's assuming that they have much of a theme anyway; about 95% of the cars that are run in the Texas races don't have much of a theme to speak of anyway. The Cali races have better theme participation but I'd say that even there no better than 30% of the cars have a theme that goes beyond a paint job.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We used to change our theme every race but that got to be pretty damn difficult.  Every year seems good.

We try to pick themes that you can use all year, but with sub themes.
Last year, Monty Python
               1st. Search for the Holy Grill
               2nd. The Killer Rabbit.
               3rd. Bring out Yer Dead!

This year, Animal House.
              1st. The death Mobile
              2. Toga! Toga!
              3. Possibly.........Cake!

This way the car can pretty much stay the same all year.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Here's our $0.02.

Our first race was last November at the Arse-Freeze.  If you ask anyone, no one would remember that an ambulance themed Corolla ran that race.  You'd probably hear more people talk about the exact same entry that ran two weeks before in Texas, even down to the same car.  How'd we know?  The judges politely (lol) informed us as we went through BS tech.  Talk about a buzzkiller...

We're not fast, our theme was a supposed copy, and all of our hard work seemed to not pay off the way we wanted it to.  In contrast, Eyesore brought their Batmobile theme, dressed up all weekend, and took the Organizer's Choice.  We were inspired by their level of dedication to their theme, even though we knew we had no chance of matching their performance in the actual race.  Those guys really know how to balance a great car with a great theme.  They set the benchmark.

As a team, we decided to hang our hat on one thing, going overboard with the theme.  We've been pretty successful, with three straight OC's from after that first race back in November. 

However, 99% of you guys out there want to have fun driving on the track, and I don't blame you.  We kinda do too, except we know we suck at it. smile  I love seeing the old standbys out there at the Cali races.  Faster Farms, Caffeine, Lipstick on a Pig, Bunny with a Pancake,  F'edUp, etc.  They're well known teams that build good rigs that turn good laps with pretty good drivers. 

It's a toss-up for me on when to retheme.  For our guys, we've got ideas for our next theme as we're packing up from the race.  It's a no-brainer that we're retheming.  For people who want to race?  Every calendar year probably is a good benchmark.  For the old-timers?  Keep that old theme, I'll keep smiling when you pass my ass in a Wienermobile or a Hyder Truck/Corolla.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

8 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2010-08-23 12:40 PM)

The biggie  is when you go through tech and the Judges Say "Finally someone has done the theme right!" That's where you get remembered. When everyone does the same theme you must do it right or do it better or your just another car with a "Lame Ass" theme. Teams Like Eyesore and now Craznoe's team Cannonball Bandits do it right the first time every time.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Some cars are classics and should never be re-themed IMO.  I was sad to see the Porcubimmer get re-themed, although their new digs were pretty freakin' outstanding.  Awesome cars that take a ton of wrenching just to move under their own power don't really need a theme, it's just awesome to see it out there in the first place.  Seeing a Mini is awesome, it warms my heart seeing it buzzing around at all.  And with a barcalounger on the roof?  Epic.  I vote retheming on such a great car unnecessary, unless you find something that absolutely MUST be done.

The Topless Asset Racing Program Toyota MR Onepointsevenfive will be back at Gingerman in her standard livery.  Assuming no mechanical issues that require furious wrenching over the weekend between Gingerman and Joliet, we are considering a theme change between the races of the 384 Hours.  We just haven't figured out what yet...

http://www.hailming.com/stevo/petecrop.jpg

I do think that some teams-theme-car are timeless Lemons legends.....  However it is nice to see teams like Cannonball with a new theme every time...just for the entertainment value of it......  Eyesore changes theme every race...but not like the cannonball guys...they take it to the EXTREME....  of course they focus the race on the theme....vs eyesore that comes to race too.....  I thought the snowcones were just super cool at the last race.....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

You keep showing up with the cute girls in skin tight white jump suits and black boots and you don't need to re-theme!

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

crazymike wrote:

Should I sell you the bobsled theme? I know I don't have to sell you on it, hehe
I had a thought on that though - the french car should run under the Cool Runnings theme 'cause half the Caribbean countries speak french. That'd still leave the USSR/GDR combat up for grabs.

good bye pork pie would not be so good - the mini was exploded at the end...

Aww man, I've been wanting to do Cool Runnings for several months, but I couldn't get my team mates to agree on it.

mackwagon wrote:

You keep showing up with the cute girls in skin tight white jump suits and black boots and you don't need to re-theme!

Even better that they're (the Eyesore folks, anyway) all great drivers too!

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/