Topic: What can you do with your Lemons car when not racing or working on it?

Take it to car shows, like Concours d'Lemons, but also the one's that feature really, really expensive cars! Like Euro Sunday, a monthly meet here in the Sacramento area for European sports cars and classics. We'll the Opel GT is a European sports car and classic...

I think our little Opel fit right in amongst the $100,000 Ferraris.
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/DSC_0338-1600a.JPG
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/DSC_0340-1600.JPG
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/DSC_0344-1600.JPG
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/DSC_0345-1600.JPG
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/DSC_0348-1600.JPG

I can't wait to see all the themed E30s and other Euro-Lemons cars to start showing up at these events. Not to be rude or anything, because everyone was really nice, but just to add a little extra color.

Re: What can you do with your Lemons car when not racing or working on it?

Yea well your Opel doesn't look like a Lemon it looks like a real racecar.  If you had parked a $500 lemon there people would have been offended and scared it would catch fire.

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

Tullamore wrote:

If you had parked a $500 lemon there people would have been offended and scared it would catch fire.

The fire is part of the encore of offending people smile

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

How much Mop'nGlo did you have to pour on it to make it shine like that?

5 (edited by m610 2010-08-23 10:44 AM)

It's just two coats of roller-applied Sunburst Yellow Rustoleum. It's not even sanded, so it has a really nice lemon peel finish. I clean it with Windex and a paper towel.

Lemons cars that are crap for crap's sake might/probably will get shunned and even quarantined, but some of the cars, cheat as they are, are pretty interesting, and fun. Faster Farms, NACSAR Meyer, Tiger Woods, several of Eye Sore's cars, and many others would be popular and would round out the show nicely.

At the local "classics" show we took the car to last week the car doesn't have to be restored, or even running. The kids loved being able to sit in a race car, and parents appreciated it because the kids were otherwise pretty bored. And lots of people were interested in Lemons racing.

By the way, the owner of the yellow Ferrari was telling me about how a friend and him are planing to Lemonize a 5.0 Mustang and race it next year.

You mean it can do something other than lowering property values and pissing off HOA's?

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

"when not racing or working on it"..... 

I am confused.  There is a time when you are not working on your crapmobile?

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Tullamore wrote:

Yea well your Opel doesn't look like a Lemon it looks like a real racecar.  If you had parked a $500 lemon there people would have been offended and scared it would catch fire.

The Ferrari's are the ones that catch on fire........

Mick25 wrote:

"when not racing or working on it"..... 

I am confused.  There is a time when you are not working on your crapmobile?

It's when you're pulling double shifts just to pay for another race. Then there's the times when you run out of beer, curse words, blood, and duct tape, then you realize the sun's coming up, and just STOP, sitting there, questioning your sanity. Yeah... THAT time.

We are planning to enter at least one of our cars in the "World of Wheels" car show in Pittsburgh this winter under the race car section. Any one else game ?

It Ain't My Fault

we plan on running ours at the Texas mile, in Goliad, and maybe the Big Bend Open Road Race.

1985 BMW 535i... one of the slowest builds ever!!!

We drift ours a lot, but carshow....now that is an idea.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

There is a classics car show in town tomorrow. I'll take the tinyvette to it because, being over 40 y.o. it's classic. Besides, its the one car that is OK to touch, and kids love to sit in a "real race car". We strap them in, let them hook up the wheel, and vroom vroom. I might bring a helmet to put on them tomorrow. Parents love it because otherwise the kids are pretty bored, and it's all good PR for racing and cars in a self-described bicycle town.

My reserve unit had "Family Day" the weekend before last, and since all of us Rusty Nuts are in the unit we put the Jaggernaut on display. About a zillion kids got to sit in a "real race car" and none of them needed tetanus shots at the end of the day. Good fun. We also found another four prospective team members.

Our pile will be on display at SEMA this year smile

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

mikespeed95 wrote:

We drift ours a lot, but carshow....now that is an idea.

if it hasnt been in a Lemons race, is it still technically a Lemons race car?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

LTDScott wrote:

Which booth? I might drop by...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Lemons should get a booth at SEMA. Attendance would double.

There is a car show at work today. A few interesting cars are out there, but several boring bone stock cars that are only a couple yaers old (Camaros Vette's etc). If we didn't have the suspension, brakes, spindles etc all ripped off our car, it would be in that car show.

20 (edited by LTDScott 2010-09-22 05:59 AM)

jimeditorial wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

Which booth? I might drop by...

We're sponsored by Bilstein, but won't be in their booth. We'll be one of the "feature" cars which are spread all around inside and outside the entrance to the convention center. Not sure exactly where we'll be parked, since that's up to the discretion of the event organizers.

I'll do my best to fly the Lemons flag at SEMA. I'm pretty curious about what kind of reaction we're going to get, considering our car has about 1/100 the money into it compared to most other cars at the show.

I also just re-wired up the lights so we can take it down the Strip smile

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

21 (edited by m610 2010-09-22 09:22 AM)

We were at the Davis Cruise-in last night. About 100 cars were there, some really nice stuff, too, plus of course Tinyvette, which was popular with the kids because they could sit in it, then we'd buckle them in and put a helmet on them, then let them try to hook up the steering wheel. Moms and dads would take pictures. All too cute. We had made post cards showing a photo of the car for the team and gave some of those out to the kids, too. We have fans!

Good thing too, because now the neighbor is complaining about how noisy the car is. It's legal-loud, and even loud, I think, but some neighbors ... It helps to have fans in a small town. The Red Flyer (legit art car) car runs with straight pipes but only gets pulled over by new cops. After checking in with the office they let the car go and never stop it again.

Christmas tree.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs168.snc3/19538_1308092746955_1369652107_854904_1332329_n.jpg

Take the wife out for a burger

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs192.snc1/6480_1199439110682_1369652107_555869_7067375_n.jpg

Run the Evil Genius dyno and stomp some Sunbeam ass.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs236.snc3/22338_1358207199785_1369652107_985453_1454030_n.jpg

Blaze a trail

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs172.snc1/6480_1199439710697_1369652107_555871_5636605_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

23 (edited by icemang17 2010-09-26 01:15 PM)

NICE.....

I see an epic battle between the MG and the Opel at Arse Freeze!!!!   I hope Pete can get it there!!!

I think Lemons needs a 4th class.....since the C class is far too fast.....might as well call it class "F" and the racer can't have more than 100hp....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I saw the Team Blue Goose car drive down greenville ave a few minutes ago

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

SCCA Solo Enduro this weekend.