Topic: SFI certification tags?

I came across a pair of Simpson lowtop racing shoes that from everything i can find out about them they are SFI certified.   Problem is I went and looked at them and there is no SFI tag or any other spec printed on them anywhere.  Is it possible for them to be acceptable at tech without any tags?  or is they are some kind of knock offs or lower model i can't find anything about?  The quality looked great and they looked fairly new...

here is a link...
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/1914355805.html

thanks for any input!

-Tom

2 (edited by BoB 2010-08-24 07:13 AM)

Re: SFI certification tags?

Without the tags they won't pass.  The people doing the tech inspection aren't going to have time to research your shoes and find out if they pass.

The bad part is the guy probably took the tags out himself not knowing he cut the shoes value dramatically by doing that.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Call Simpson. They may be willing to re-tag them. It's a bit strange though, the SFI shoe tag usually sits on one of the tongues with a generic warning on the other. This pair has two generic warnings. But at forty bucks, I'd just buy some damn new shoes.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I've never had anyone at any organization go beyond the Simpson logo on the outside of mine.

That said, If you get a gung-ho or new tech inspector, or if they look like Nike's or Van's with a Simpson logo penned in Magic marker you'll be hurting race-day
...The pics on your link show a shoe that none of the Inspectors I've previously had would give a 2nd look to...

And Eyewing - on a $50 diff from where I get mine new? That's enough to fund an SFI collar I need... if they were near me I'd buy 'em!

Well, i acquired a picture of a similar shoe showing the tag and they look to be on the sole insert  (see pic link).  Weird, as it looks like it would wear heavily and fall off easily!  Or what would stop someone from just swapping the insert into another shoe.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lt1buick/Re … 5994958866

if it doesn't have a tag, don't count on being able to use it

I bought a pari of "SFI" Simpson's off ebay, and they did not have a SFI tag either.... ended up returning them when the seller expected me to contact Simpson and sort it out.  Makes me wonder about Simpson quality control.

William
Team SOB

eljefe17 wrote:

if it doesn't have a tag, don't count on being able to use it

agreed.  as someone who has done equipment check-in...just get shoes with tags.  it makes everyone's day easier.  and take your stuff out of the bag; don't just drop it on the table and expect the staffer to pull everything out like a TSA worker.

and no..."but they're Pilotis!" doesn't work.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

No tag, no good.   Get the real deal.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

and don't go changing into sneakers before you get into the car, ya bastids.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

and don't go changing into sneakers before you get into the car, ya bastids.

skechers are acceptable racewear? hahaha