1 (edited by yodogg 2010-08-24 12:47 PM)

Topic: Aero mods for a Super Beetle?!?

We're finishing up our entry for Lemons South Fall, a '73 Super Beetle and while it corners great, I would hate to catch a crosswind when (if?) its doing anything over 50 mph. We've already applied a home made version of the ever classic "Harrod Helper" rear spoiler but I'm not real sure what would be best to help keep our nose down.

Anyone ever tried racing a (real) beetle before? Anyone ever mess around with front-end aeros on a beetle before?
Thanks!

RetroRacing-1973 Super! Beetle
Nine Finger Drifters- 1982 te72 Toyota Corolla Wagon (BEAMS PWRD!)
My one man show: G. D. Yo-Man: No! YOU Ams Da A&&hole!
2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

Re: Aero mods for a Super Beetle?!?

Just take some notes from the time attack guys. They are all about being glued for fast laps.

http://www.motoiq.com/Blogs/Eric/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/taws3.jpg

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

http://www.petercate.com/Spa%20Beetle.jpg

Awesome bug! Though I think we'll be going decidedly more ghetto with our mods...

2010 CMP Fall-Judges' Choice, 2014 Barber-DFL and I Got Screwed!, 3X- You Talk Shit Better Than You Race (YTSBTYR) Award, 2017 NCM- IOE (thanks, Speedy!), 2018 Inde-Heroic Fix, 2019 Inde-Winner C Class

http://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/337802/coxcôte1.jpg1..jpg

Polished Turd Racing - 1974 VW 412 variant
www.facebook.com/polishedturdracing
It's 40% racing, 60% arts and crafts.

its a bug, at the speeds it does wind shouldnt be factor smile

For crosswinds, I think you need to move the centre of pressure closer to the centre of gravity.....maybe big end plates on the wing...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Just take some notes from the time attack guys. They are all about being glued for fast laps.

http://www.motoiq.com/Blogs/Eric/wp-con … /taws3.jpg

everyone seems to laugh at that, but i'm not sure why.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

yodogg wrote:

We're finishing up our entry for Lemons South Fall, a '73 Super Beetle and while it corners great, I would hate to catch a crosswind when (if?) its doing anything over 50 mph. We've already applied a home made version of the ever classic "Harrod Helper" rear spoiler but I'm not real sure what would be best to help keep our nose down.

Anyone ever tried racing a (real) beetle before? Anyone ever mess around with front-end aeros on a beetle before?
Thanks!

I have thought about a super many times, and cant seem to convince my teammates that a 70ish hp car is the way to go...

I would try and get as much of the air from under the car, IE a chin spoiler. At least with a 73, you have a curved windshield, but the rest of the car is just a bubble.

Let us know how it does, im very interested.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

I would try and get as much of the air from under the car, IE a chin spoiler. At least with a 73, you have a curved windshield, but the rest of the car is just a bubble.

Let us know how it does, im very interested.

This is critical - especially if you think the car will be fast enough to get up to 80 mph or so. In the last race we did, the Ghia was running well enough that we could get there, and while we had a front dam, it had lost it's structural integrity. Most of the drivers on the team agree that we were experience classic VW lift at the end of the straight.

We're fixing ours now to try and keep the air from underneath - we figure if the turbo doesn't blow the engine up, we might go fast enough to get the front end too light for comfort.

But if this is your first race - it wouldn't be the #1 priority for me. I'd start collecting spares. You'll need them. You can PM or email me if you want some more advice on running an air-cooled VW. We've done 3 races in ours.

Also - take a look here:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic … p;t=115568

Read everything this guy wrote in that forum. All of it. You'll learn things you didn't know.

Crosswind

Drill some holes in the door panels on both sides to reduce the pressure load. There is/was a yellow car that ran in the east that did this.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

What you need is downforce:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_bTX2MCbyz4c/S157Ol2fo4I/AAAAAAAACcw/a6qm8ubpClU/s288/civic_in_action.jpg

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Buzz Killington wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

I laughed at that car the first time I saw it.....then I found out fast it is, that thing is no joke.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

14 (edited by yodogg 2010-08-26 12:55 PM)

"I have thought about a super many times, and cant seem to convince my teammates that a 70ish hp car is the way to go..."

Funny story actually... when we bought it in January, we were told it had a "custom stroker engine". Which ultimately turned into it had "all the parts to BUILD a custom stroker engine" and they had been sitting in various boxes for the past 5 or 6 years in this dudes garage (Which explains why it was so damn cheap!). Needless to say, none of us had ever actually built an engine before and it has been mostly put together only to be taken back appart about 4 times since we started.

In theory it may actually make like 100 hp, in which case it should be plenty fast enough to get unstable. Either that or our knucklehead built engine will just implode by lap 8!

I always ran a bit of forward rake in my Ghia on the street, it felt solid above 100mph

JD1969 wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

I laughed at that car the first time I saw it.....then I found out fast it is, that thing is no joke.

Ya, I wasn't joking. I first saw this in a MotoIQ.com writup about time-attack. It is a perfectly sound idea. I'm surprised that team doesn't have a Lemons car with that type of ingenuity.

The only better idea is the Chaparrel car. I'm waiting for someone to do that in Lemons, too.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

jimeditorial wrote:

For crosswinds, I think you need to move the centre of pressure closer to the centre of gravity.....maybe big end plates on the wing...

Only at the intersection of the centre of pressure and the mean aerodynamic chord... no wait. This is a car forum right? <Grin>

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

Only at the intersection of the centre of pressure and the mean aerodynamic chord... no wait. This is a car forum right? <Grin>

Yeah, it's a Clark Y when it clearly needs to be a NACA five-series airfoil...who designed that wing anyway? That Bug will never exceed 400 MPH...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Thanks guys, lots of good ideas, that link to Shoptalk Forums was AWESOME. Hopefully we'll see some of you  at South Fall.

Here's what we ended up doing for aero: The rear spoiler is a copy of the old Herrod Helper and the frot spoiler is pure hand-crafted hooptiness...

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/jsamanta/Lemons%20September2010/L1050225.jpg

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/jsamanta/Lemons%20September2010/iPhonePhotos049.jpg

There're a bunch of german sites that go into bug aero
- the synopsis is that you need to cut major holes in the back-side of the front fenders and put a trip/spoiler (not wing) below the rear window (think 1974 Carrera) - some are trying it above the window. The front dam needs to be as ground-hugging as possible and there is a bunch of discussion about mid-car under dams - the best I can translate are right in front of the cyl banks, as in two "cards" to increase the suction/low-pressure area at the cooling exits.
~ also lots of discussion re parasitic drag, like that the super is better 'cause ot the curved windshield, filling the gutters and windsheild-to-rubber area, relocating the mirrors, removing the front turn signals/bumper and all that.

You really need to get that thing lower to the ground and add some Rake into it as suggested then the hood will act as the down force for the front, also I would consider bringing your lower air dam farther froward at the bottom cause by the looks of it, it may actually lift the front end up.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

steve wrote:

You really need to get that thing lower to the ground and add some Rake into it as suggested then the hood will act as the down force for the front, also I would consider bringing your lower air dam farther froward at the bottom cause by the looks of it, it may actually lift the front end up.

Take THAT Super Beetle ball joints! big_smile

I think what they've got going isn't bad, and was probably reasonably effective, given the speed of the vehicle.

BTW, I've got a 2175cc with double webers (tuned/compression for 110 octane) for sale.  No way the judges would even know what it is... big_smile

The air dam actually seemed to work pretty well at CMP last month, though it never got above 70 mph. The photos seem to distort the angle of the dam, it really is verticle with a forward curved lip on the bottom edge.

We will be lowering it for our next race, but will lower both the front and rear and probably no more than 1-1/2" to 2". Rake is no problem for a Super if you're only going in a straight line (ie, drag racing), but for road handling it really throws the geometry of the steering out of wack and the ball joints can't pivot fully. So for now we are more focused on upgrading the brakes and firming up the suspension just a little.

Ok so you guys ran a race?  I so want to know how ya'll did? 
I guess I could say all kinda stuff we have learned from the four races we have ran with the baja bug, but would love to chat off line to hear how ya'lls race went.

Little Buckaroo.

Organizer's Choice Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 08', DNF Houston Yee-Haw Its Lemons 09'
Ugly Class 3 Winner Houston Gator-o-Rama  10', Ugly Class 3 Winner BFE Colorado 10', Ugly Class 3 Winner Texas World Speedway 12, We got Screwed Winner ECR 14', Barely Finished MSR 14' took a few years off but trying like hell for IOE in 2017!