Topic: The Flyn\'Hawaiins & 2 White Guys Need Some Advice

Another newbie Lemons team hoping to come to Buttonwillow in December.  We're 4 guys that don't have a clue about turning right.  All of us race circle track now (ministocks) and are looking for something new to do.  We've been reading about Lemons racing for awhile now and it has finally sucked us in.  We're building a 260 Datsun Z.  Seems like the Z cars don't do well at Lemons but we got the car for $300 and it's in good shape so we are going to work with it.  I am hoping that some of you on here have raced a Z car and can give us some advice on a few questions I have:

1. Rear end: locked or open?
2. Front camber: how much?
3. Front brakes: are the stock rotors & calipers ok and if so what brake pads are recommended?
4. Does anyone know of a 15" wheel that will fit the Z car that we might find at a junkyard? I have tried to find the turbo wheel but no luck.

As for the Z car's theme; the rear of the roof had to be raised 5" to get the roll bar high enough to clear our tall driver's big head and once we put the roof back on we had a 5" gap at the rear roof line so we decided to cut that area out and make it look like a truck.  Well, it ended up looking more like a golf cart.  Presto:  260 E-Z-Gone golf cart.  Looking for bags & clubs now!  Thanks for any advice anyone can give us.

We really are looking forward to doing this.  It looks like a lot of fun.  Hope our team is accepted.  If so, we'll see you in December.
Thanks again,
RodS

Re: The Flyn\'Hawaiins & 2 White Guys Need Some Advice

Welcome to the asylum!!!

Typically Z's are horrible...but it did win the last race at Thunderhill by a solid margin against tough competition!!!

Okay on to your ??/

1:  OPEN....why...the welded diff with a manual will just destroy the driveline...too much shock & it will FAIL....plus the open diff forces you to drive smoother, which is always a good things
2:  Generally as much as you can get....not 100% sure on what Z's run, but other guys will have great info for you
3:  I would imagine an upgrade to a later Z would work well with good pads-fluid
4:  Wheels are technically free & if you can change your hubs to fit the E30-miata centers it gives you nearly unlimited choices of wheels

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

a 260Z?  burn the phuqer and start over......but if you must...icemang17 summed it up well and one more thing -cooling, those straight sixes tend to get hot and fry head gaskets

icemang17 wrote:

but it did win the last race at Thunderhill by a solid margin against tough competition!!!

A 300zx won, However a 240z with 280z motor did place 11th.

Q1: you probably won't be putting down enough power to need a welded differential.
Q2: probably as much as you can slot the top strut mount holes. Cut the useless material off the side of the strut top hat to allow you to move it over more.
Q3: 280 struts should swap right in and have a bigger vented rotor, that's an easy one. Plus the spring should be a little stiffer and if you cut them down a little you'll get tighter car. Find some stiff springs for the rear too, cut down.
Q4 wheels: the 6x15" swastika turbo wheels are the lightest for their size. They are available occasionally, you just have to watch for them. The 6x14" 6 spokes are just as light and are more available, I saw at least 3 sets on Craigslist. The 5 spoke aftermarket dished Aluminum wheels are also pretty light and those can be found pretty reasonably.  Avoid the 6x14 Iron Cross wheel, they are heavy, as are the early 300zx wheels, lots of aluminum in those

I just searched using www.craiglook.com, for "Datsun wheels" and there are probably 10 sets of good ones available around the country. didn't check "Nissan wheels"

Smaller wheels will give you better acceleration out of the corners, so a 205/50/14 (or something like that) might be a pretty good set up. Shorter track+ more curves= acceleration is more important.

Also, wheels and tires are not in the $500 limit, so if you really want the 6x15" swastikas, write back with your check book balance and I'll see about shipping my set to you.

You should also be figuring out which tire your going to run and what sizes are available. You'll probably only need one set for a race weekend, but it might pay to have a back up set of wheels/tires available. In case someone drives over a: dropped body panel, radiator, golf club, busted suspension part from a Rabbit, a Rabbit - Mini Cooper - Geo Metro - MGB, exhaust pieces from a certain crappy Alfa, etc.....
That might even be a borrowed set of wheels/tires from someones 240/260/280z.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The OLD Fast Auto Race Team & Sons plan to be at Willows too.  We hope to provide classroom instruction and turn by turn advice after Tech on Friday.  Try to get some track time before the event.  Audi and other groups are hosting events there in the near future.  You don't need the Lemons Racer for the Open Track events - almost anything will do.
It's the archer, not the arrow.
Jim

I smell a Caddyshack theme.

http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/caddyshack-560-gopher.jpg

Thanks to all.  Your advice is much needed.  This build seems to be growing out of control; all night, every night; racing truly is a sickness.  The only reason I was looking at 15" wheels is because I couldn't find any 14" tires.  I looked at the 280 strut assemblies and they had the same brakes as the 260.  I found some 280ZX struts and they had the vented rotors but the spindel angle is different.  They would actually add camber but I don't know what this would do to the steering geometry.  More stuff to look at I guess.  Looks like the diff is getting the open vote.  I was thinking Caddyshack myself!

Thanks again,
RodS

datsunzgarage.com is an excellent source for info on Z cars.

The hubs and rotors interchange between most Z cars.  You can put a 280ZX rotor on en earlier hub or put the whole hub and rotor on.

We run 300ZX rotors on the 240Z.  Some modification is required.

Around 2.5-3 degrees of negative camber is great.

There was another recent post about this stuff so look around some.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

RodS wrote:

I was thinking Caddyshack myself!

Think again. Here is a list of don't-even-think-about-it themes as voted by the Judges:

Caddyshack
Blues Brother
Lightning McQueen
& Gulf Oil

Too many people have done them.

In my opinion: BP and Back to the Future are over done as well.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

10 (edited by Spank 2010-08-27 10:59 AM)

Please, no caddyshack.

Haven't seen one of these before:

http://www.hotelmaitai.com/PicsHotel/MaitaiBoraBora/GalleryPic/ID42Pic101.jpg

And with your circle track experience, maybe you NEED the outrigger on the left side of the car in case turning right feels a little unfamiliar...

Check out the HybridZ forum. These guys have thoroughly explored all the mods you have asked about. It has been a very valuable source of information for my build of a 280zx AutoX car.
http://hybridz.org/

No excuses, No regrets, Never give up!

12 (edited by RodS 2010-09-01 06:12 PM)

Thanks everyone for your input.  Troy and Motor Ray thanks for the web site info.  Everything I need to know is on these  sites.
Ok on the Caddyshack theme; looks like it has been overdone.  We will come up with something else; maybe a graveyard night of the dead tow truck or something involving a blower and a set of zoomies
Thanks,
Rod