Topic: Roll cage spreader plates

Now that we're on version 2.0 of our roll cage for the MAM race, I have a question about spreader plates.  Our cage builder put 6" X 12" spreader plates at all the contact points for the cage.  He also gave me another set plates to put underneath the car below the plates he put on.  The problem that I see with doing this are the stiffening bends that Dodge put in the floor pans will prevent the second set of plates from making good contact (large air gaps) with the existing sheet metal. Also there is a piece of the unibody running underneath the existing spreader plate.  If I put another plate on the bottom it would have to be smaller than the upper plate.

The rules state: Bolted or welded, sturdy mounting methods are required at every junction between rollcage and car. Usually, this means creating robust mounting plates where the tubes join the body or frame; you might even have to reinforce the area around the mounting plates to guarantee suitably sturdy attachment.

I can see if you had a bolt in cage where a second set of plates to sandwich the floor pans would be desireable.

New motto for Team Viper Light:  Where one roll cage has more drama than an entire season of General Hospital.

Re: Roll cage spreader plates

The problem that I see with doing this are the stiffening bends that Dodge put in the floor pans will prevent the second set of plates from making good contact (large air gaps) with the existing sheet metal.

I had some 1/8" steel plate that was welded in the valleys of the floorboard, then the spreader plate was welded over that.

If your cage is being welded in then there is no purpose to putting a 2nd set of spreader plates under the floor.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

4 (edited by Filthy Mechanic 2010-08-25 06:12 AM)

OK, that's what I was hoping ot hear.  All the same though, I'll be bringing the spare plates and the grade 8 bolts to the track just in case.

5 (edited by Skid McSpinout 2010-08-25 06:24 AM)

Sorry to add another chapter to your drama but... We experienced that same issue with our BMW 2002. We had the spreader plates welded in on top and OK'd at safety tech for one race. Came back the next years race and it failed due to "No Spreader Plates on the Bottom"! So we scrambled got some metal plates and drilled them out and sandwiched with two bolts and hit it with an impact gun as tight as possible, this basically formed them to the uneven unibody and wheel wells. It passed at the last minute.  My suggestion would be to bolt them in now you never know who is going to be on tech or what side of the bed they woke up on.  Remember Safety Tech is a different group from the BS Tech. And for these rusty heaps it is all for the best to use the bottom plates

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz

Skid McSpinout wrote:

Sorry to add another chapter to your drama but... We experienced that same issue with our BMW 2002. We had the spreader plates welded in on top and OK'd at safety tech for one race. Came back the next years race and it failed due to "No Spreader Plates on the Bottom"! So we scrambled got some metal plates and drilled them out and sandwiched with two bolts and hit it with an impact gun as tight as possible, this basically formed them to the uneven unibody and wheel wells. It passed at the last minute.  My suggestion would be to bolt them in now you never know who is going to be on tech or what side of the bed they woke up on.  Remember Safety Tech is a different group from the BS Tech. And for these rusty heaps it is all for the best to use the bottom plates

Wow-those guys would've failed half the cages at a NASA event.
It seems like  the powers at be in Lemons do a great job of keeping the sport safe, and the rule book small, but it's a good thing we have this forum to find out about things that would pass anywhere else, but fail here.

We have a welded in cage with our spreader plates over frame rails and backstays to the shock towers, so there is no way we could have backing plates.  Do you think this going to be an issue?

Exactly, not sure how you can get backing plates behind the body in the shock towers?

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Skid McSpinout wrote:

was your cage bolt-in or welded in?

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Minor hijack here, we are welding in our cage and plan to weld it directly to the frame at all mounting points (full frame GM car). Will we need spreader plates even if we hit the frame directly?

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

T-Money645 wrote:

Minor hijack here, we are welding in our cage and plan to weld it directly to the frame at all mounting points (full frame GM car). Will we need spreader plates even if we hit the frame directly?

I would.  I was just notching the frame on a crown vic and was surprised at how thin the metal was.  You really want no problems at tech and there really is no reason not to put plates on.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Buzz Killington wrote:
Skid McSpinout wrote:

We had the spreader plates welded in on top and OK'd at safety tech for one race.

Welded...  Has this happened to anyone else?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Buzz Killington wrote:
Skid McSpinout wrote:

Says welded in.

I find it curious that anyone would fail for this.  I doubt the cage on our used Lemon veteran is this way, as I've never seen a welded cage like this. 

Waiting for one of the Lemons powers that be to respond...

13 (edited by crazymike 2010-08-25 09:09 AM)

T-Money645 wrote:

Yes. Spreader plates are used on frames for various reasons,  but yes you need them is the answer.

I'm not staff, nor inspector, but have heard/seen that a bunch 'o times...

Properly welded in cages do not need sandwich plates.     That said, we've made a couple of people add them on rust-damaged and other compromised designs as an added safety measure.     See that word that started the above sentence?  'properly'      It is very important...   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'