Topic: Body Transplant to an International Scout II

I got a killer deal on a total heap of shyt Scout II.  If there is ever a Baja de Lemons I am already $350 under budget. 

Actually the frame is serviceable but the body will disintegrate any day now.  It's the scariest thing I've ever driven, and it is AWESOME.  Runs great.

So I thought I would put it out there for the Lemons brain trust:

Help me decide what rediculous automotive hull to toss on top of the frame in order to make this thing even more awesome.

Pictures to follow.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Body Transplant to an International Scout II

Gremlin

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1916012988.html

How about that fiberglass cat? Or the Fudgie the Whale car that was on the boards a couple months ago?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Off the transplant topic:

It is carburated, with an Auto Transmission

The Scout hesitates under load when first pressing the accelerator.  If I let it idle from a standstill, it will begin moving forward, and then I can ease into the throttle to accelerate. 

I'm sure it's a simple fuel delivery issue but I have never owned a carbed car with mechanical fuel pump, so can anyone steer me in the right direction?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

Those old scouts.  You had to be real careful with the muffler bearings or they would do exactly what yours is doing.  While you are under there check the fitzer valve for residue, it can get gunked up.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Theme it as the Borg, then chase the Eyesore Enterprise around with it.

Remember the team that built a Ranchero body onto their E30 and had to narrow it up to fit?

Why not do the opposite?  Widen and stretch an E30 body to fit.  Would look ridiculous, and yet somehow cool at the same time.

Judges will hate it because it looks like an E30... but love it because it's a freakin' IH that looks like an E30!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

IgnoranteWest wrote:

The Scout hesitates under load when first pressing the accelerator.  If I let it idle from a standstill, it will begin moving forward, and then I can ease into the throttle to accelerate. 

I'm sure it's a simple fuel delivery issue but I have never owned a carbed car with mechanical fuel pump, so can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Had a '77....worst fuel mileage of any vehicle I've ever owned. Ugly too, but durable! What engine and carb do you have? Check fuel pressure and volume.....I'm assuming you're too young to remember carbs... Pressure uses the cheap little vacuum/pressure gauge and volume is just a Mason jar under the outlet while you crank....there's a spec for volume delivered for 15 or 30 seconds, etc. Could be gunk in the whole system....flush tank and lines. Don't forget to change  the filter! Once you have proper flow to the float bowl, start simple with spray carb cleaner down the venturis. Better to remove and rebuild/soak but at least try. Pull the top off and check the float level. Remove the needle valve and examine it with a magnifying glass to check for steps or grooves. Gently blow through the seat. Look at the bottom of the float bowl. If it's full of gunk, just pull the carb, rebuild and flush the system. Don't forget the distributor! Is the vacuum advance working? are the weights rusted and stuck?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

Jim. Thank you, this is exactly the type of general guidance I was seeking.  Much appreciated.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

jimeditorial wrote:
IgnoranteWest wrote:

The Scout hesitates under load when first pressing the accelerator.

Had a '77....worst fuel mileage of any vehicle I've ever owned. Ugly too, but durable!

+1 - What he said. Odds are the inside of your gas tank is full of rust, scales, water & old gas. Flush & coat it, or replace it.

And on that note, I'll just leave this here:

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2823/221/32055110033_large.jpg

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

IgnoranteWest wrote:

Sounds like the throttle pump is gunked up or otherwise non-functional.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carburetor … rator_pump

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Accelerator pump.

First gen RX-7 should be about the right wheelbase. I'll sell you one dirt cheap.

Get an old fiberglass boat hull and flip it upside down, cut a small hole for a driver pod.

Instant FIA Prototype clone.

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

As I recall, the IH 345 was a torque monster....and the heads interchange left and right. I also remember it having the slowest steering ratio I've ever seen. If I remember right, it's a GM Saginaw system so swapping boxes with something a little quicker would be a good idea. Or install a steering wheel ball and ice pack your rotator cuff post stint.

Jim "Endo" Anderton

EriktheAwful wrote:

Accelerator pump.

First gen RX-7 should be about the right wheelbase. I'll sell you one dirt cheap.

This.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

jimeditorial wrote:

rotator cuff

I didn't know cars had those

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

jimeditorial wrote:

As I recall, the IH 345 was a torque monster....and the heads interchange left and right. I also remember it having the slowest steering ratio I've ever seen. If I remember right, it's a GM Saginaw system so swapping boxes with something a little quicker would be a good idea. Or install a steering wheel ball and ice pack your rotator cuff post stint.

After driving it for a few days I see what youre talking about.  This thing drives like a baby deer walks... in anyhing but a straight line.  Even thought the previous owner put a tiny GT type steering wheel on it, I still have to saw at it to keep it between the curbs.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

I knew someone who had one of these back in the 70's when they  were not so old.  He said the view of the road was unparalleled since you could see it over the hood, through the hood and down through the rusted footwells.  It was rusting away at an alarming rate.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:

rotator cuff

I didn't know cars had those

Mine forecasts weather..... tells me when it's going to rain...

Jim "Endo" Anderton

dgh wrote:

I knew someone who had one of these back in the 70's when they  were not so old.  He said the view of the road was unparalleled since you could see it over the hood, through the hood and down through the rusted footwells.  It was rusting away at an alarming rate.

Tonight I think I'm going to add some structural rigidity while eliminating the road debris that keeps hitting the back of my calf.

6 keystone tallboys, tin snips, and a pop rivet tool oughta do it.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave

Stan's make headers for it, Schneider makes cams for it, and a intake off of the 392cid gets you a 4-barrel. Don't have to worry about timing chain issues, because it's gear driven.

1985 BMW 535i... one of the slowest builds ever!!!

One side, redneck carster truck

other side

DONK.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

A full-on rusted out donk would be LeMons-riffic! There's always 22s on craigslist.

Just the thing...

http://jalopnik.com/5646286/motorized-s … commercial

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.