Topic: bolt size for locking sliding seat

Our seat has to be adjustable due to different size drivers.  The rails and sliding members came from the roll bar company so i know they are good.  Would 2 -  3/8 dia,  grade 8 bolts be okay for tech as our method for locking the seat in position?

Re: bolt size for locking sliding seat

You mean in lieu of using a spring loaded latch?

Those 2 bolts, if through holes in the slide would be many times stronger and more safe in a collision than a latch.

I can't see them failing them.

Use nylocks or mechanical locking nuts so they can't work loose during the race.

Make sure you have a method of insuring the seat is no more than 6" from a back support even with your shortest driver.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

I also feel more comfortable with the simple but robust sliding pipes with bolts in holes than the sliding latches.

I have an adjustable seat back support that attaches to the roll cage.  The distance from the back of the seat to the roll cage is greater than 6 inches.  But I thought that was okay as long as I have the support.  Will I have a problem?

For the seat mount, it sounds like you're (effectively) bolting the seat to the floor with some fancypants DIY seat rails. So I'd think the normal restraint bolt requirements would be enough - grade 8 and not shitty looking.

If you plan on adjusting it a lot, make sure your WHOLE crew is practiced at doing it, and maybe mark off the appropriate settings for each driver. You'll eat time LIKE CRAZY at driver changes otherwise, and it's a safety item so it totally needs to be done right every time.

For the seat support, you're in the clear with that support bar.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear