Re: 24Hours in the Swamp

If you're hammer down on the straight and get passed by a car sporting a deployed 'chute ... ya'll be having fun !!  So will they smile

I envy 24 hour racers.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

H.K. Phooey wrote:
Duncan345 wrote:

This sounds amazing. I will be there as a spectator. I'll even help wrench if any of the teams are desperate for unskilled labor.

I only see one problem... when will the drag races take place?

A penalty during the race, the winner gets to stay on track the loser must come back in.  I am kidding but the image in my mind is funny.

Actually, that's an interesting penalty idea-- in order to make it back out on track, one must beat someone in a drag race:

Car A gets the "drag race" penalty, which starts the whole thing. They must sit around and wait for another miscreant to get black flagged.

Along comes car B who gets black flagged for going 2 off.

Car A and Car B drag race (judges may handicap/give lengths based on their discretion) and Car B wins and gets to go back out. Car A must wait for another victim.

The only thing that breaks the chain is if one of the cars blows up.

We were having this discussion also - would be a pretty interesting merge. I would bet that even most Lemons could get going faster in a 1/4 mile straight than they would coming around the last turn onto the straight.

I was thinking of a bonus challenge - you could come off track during some time frame and run a timed 1/4 mile. At the end of the time, the team with the best time gets 20 bonus laps or something.

I figure if we only ran in the left lane we could figure out how to merge - can't be any worse than pulling on the track to begin with.

Our team was on the fence for the Bayou - but I am all in for the 24 version. I am sure we will loose a few of the team (one is out of town for sure) so may be looking for drivers.

I am not going to miss a 24 hour race this close to home.

Of course my plans may be altered a bit depending on how the car comes out of the Yee-Haw.

Tucker

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz

We where going to try and make this one bbbbuuuuuuuttttttt just coming off a 24 hour race at Hallett, the team or car is ready for another one....

Have fun guys..

250 GTO

I was kidding and it's safety first but it makes one wonder.

Justice...with a smile.

mikedeck wrote:
doctawife wrote:

We were under-lamped at Nelson Ledges, and yes, it sucked.

Were you running your OE headlights or something else?

Do you have a link to what you're planning on using for this race?

Thanks to a purchasing error first time around and the erratic inventories of local auto-parts places, we had standard sealed-beam square quad halogens (3 high-beam, one low-beam) and some iffy projector-style driving lights, all pretty much aimed by guesstimation.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3521/4004000196_c51b101919.jpg

This time around we're hoping for something more like these folks did, though maybe just a little bit lower:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3524/4004014558_c66b62539c.jpg
4 nice big Hellas or KCs for down the track, 2 fogs aimed a little to the sides for lighting the apex. 4x4 sites seem to have decent pricing on stuff (like these) though I'd love to hear if someone finds reputable places with better prices. Yeah, yeah, I'm a cheap bastid.

Here are two more teams that had good setups from what I could tell:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3492/4003243811_ca4827faff.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2586/4003233745_f8a1114de3.jpg
I love the simplicity of the Integra plan-- stock lights just given a little more range by remounting. Unfortunately Neon lights aren't as good and ours were tossed long ago.

ONSET/Tetanus Racing, est. 2008.
Guest drives: NSF, Rocket Surgery, Property Devaluation, Terminally Confused, Team Sputnik, The Syndicate, Pit Crew Revenge, Spank, Hella Shitty, Sir Jackie Stewart's Coin Purse, Nine Finger Drifters, Salty Thunder, Panting Polar Bear, Vistabeam, Hangar 13, and Escape Velocity.
74 races so far.

Judge Jonny wrote:

I might have to come out of retirement for this one

Do it!  I'm pretty sure you can talk your way onto almost any team (ours included.)

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Jonny will be driving for TPB. Unless he wants trouble, that is. Those cajun alligators don't leave much in the way of evidence once they're done with a body...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

doctawife wrote:

I'm so happy I nearly peed my pants.  I've already registered!

Let the happy-dances commence!!!!

The only sad part - when will the Cajuns ply us with booze?  I guess Friday night will the be on-like-Donkey-Kong night.  (Not that I'm complainin')

Um, during the event. This is Louisiana, land of the drive-through daiquiri bars.
Does anybody think the Shrimp Boots guys were sober at any time during the last race? big_smile

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

bky wrote:
doctawife wrote:

I'm so happy I nearly peed my pants.  I've already registered!

Let the happy-dances commence!!!!

The only sad part - when will the Cajuns ply us with booze?  I guess Friday night will the be on-like-Donkey-Kong night.  (Not that I'm complainin')

Um, during the event. This is Louisiana, land of the drive-through daiquiri bars.
Does anybody think the Shrimp Boots guys were sober at any time during the last race? big_smile

HEY WATCH IT. WE RESEMBLE THAT STATEMENT!!!!! WHY DO YOU THINK WE HIT THE WALL ON THE PACE LAP LAST RACE.

Actually I threw some guy out of the track last race that was at our camp site because he was drinking Saturday while the race was going on. He was not a driver and just showed up with someone that came to watch. I was kinda of proud of myself.

39 (edited by doctawife 2010-09-02 08:22 AM)

shrimpandboots wrote:

Actually I threw some guy out of the track last race that was at our camp site because he was drinking Saturday while the race was going on. He was not a driver and just showed up with someone that came to watch. I was kinda of proud of myself.

And this is why we love the Cajuns.  Excessive drinking?  Yes!  Intentionally unsafe and willing to risk hurting other people?  HELL NO!  Willing to help out anyone and everyone?  Yes!  Willing to risk themselves with incredibly unwise repair maneuvers?  Also yes!

Therefore:  I predict massive Cajun-inspired alcohol Friday night, sober and hung-over Cajuns racing like banshees Saturday and Sunday and possible drinking again on Sunday afternoon after 3p.

However, Uncle Jimmy with the awesome shrimp-cooking skills will never be sober... that's why he's the cook.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I always love it when people ask why it's called a two-beer roux...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

shrimpandboots wrote:

Pretty sure that was me... there was some short guy in a racing suit with a serious look on his face that told me that they would snatch my arm band if I was caught with a beer.

But I wasn't ever kicked out, so maybe that was someone else talking to me.

Was just thinking theme ideas: does anyone know where to buy glow-in-the-dark face paint by the gallon?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

How's this sound.  http://www.ehow.com/how_4969771_make-gl … paint.html

And here's how to make the requisite 'glow in the dark powder' at home.  With a microwave!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYDn06G2C0E

45 (edited by txryder 2010-09-07 09:22 AM)

Anyone bring a tire machine (manually operated or powered)?
Did anyone bring a tire machine to Nelson Ledge?

This track is known to eat tires and we hate to buy 4 sets of wheels.

There is a tire service at the track.
And I will be running the tow truck with the key chain breathalizer for the break downs.
If you can blow over the legal limit we will make another lap on the hook.

CCARVER wrote:

And I will be running the tow truck with the key chain breathalizer for the break downs.

Why dont you bring one of those heaps you have and let us kick your ass on the track instead of hiding in the wrecker truck.

shrimpandboots wrote:
CCARVER wrote:

Why dont you bring one of those heaps you have and let us kick your ass on the track instead of hiding in the wrecker truck.

When you drive only one car, you get to see only one wreck.
When you drive the Wrecker, you get to see all the wrecks.
Funny how you have a strong will after trying to move that wall.
And when the lights go down, who knows who is driving what!

oh oh .... we're in big_smile

guess we'd better give the car an oil change

Carver runs world's fastest flat tow. I drafted them on the back straight and cut a half second off my best lap.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...