Topic: Hot electrical "insulation"

Can I just wrap the hot leads in electrical tape? I'm trying to keep this simple (read: cheap) but don't want to flunk in tech. Any other good ideas? Thanks for any and all input!

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

Re: Hot electrical "insulation"

electrical tape around some leftover cage padding has gotten us through every time.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

sweet.

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

4 (edited by Mulry 2010-08-30 01:13 PM)

Here's what I do. Pick up a couple of the cheapest battery terminal protectors you can find at your local auto parts store, then I modify as indicated using my mad Paint skillz:

http://tarpblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/terminal.jpg

I cut out the bottom part of the terminal cover so that the entire thing will just slip down vertically over the battery terminals and posts. Then I take the non-closed end that goes down on the battery cable and tape that to the cable with electrical tape. That makes the terminal cover work like a cheap hinge so you can lift it up and have access to the nut on the terminal so that you can unbolt it and remove the terminal from the post from the post (like if you need to charge the battery) without having to completely remove the terminal cover from the wire.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/access … 96006_0_0_

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

LOL we built one out of a water bottle.  It's worked twice.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

We use heater hose & zip ties

It Ain't My Fault

Rubber sheets and cable ties.  Heat shrink works as well.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Rubber mastic tape(self fusing).

ohaythair wrote:

Rubber mastic tape(self fusing).

One problem w/ that is if you have to re-do something for tech or as in our case, the damn thing breaks.

Our Brand new longacre kill switch broke Saturday morning of the race.  I had heat shrunk (?) those terminals, so I did have to slit the tubing.  But mastic is a motherfucker to take apart once it's fused. 

Now when I wire a motor or replace one, I use the insulated terminal kits w/ allen screws and caps..

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Now I'll have to get a new kill switch to keep in my spares box.
Why let a cheap part cost the weekend?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

I went to the race shop and bought their last one.  Got it wired back in about 10 min after cars were on track.  Green flag fell about 5 minutes later, after we were back on.