Topic: Roof question

Hello new here.
Going to the Chicago race.
Our car had t tops, and we sold them to bring the cost down. Can we fill them in with window nets, and not have to have arm restrants?
We would rather have that than weld something in solid.
Thanks
Sod Buster

Re: Roof question

If you did sheet metal you wouldn't need arm restraints.  Netting I'm thinking they still would want it though, to good of a chance of an arm getting stuck under the car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Just weld in a piece of sheet metal. Arm restraints can be found for like $20 and are no big deal. We will have in our car as it is a convertible. Unless it rains at the Chicago race, then it will be a hard top. Look forward to meeting everyone at the Chicago race.

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

IMHO, arm restraints are a PITA. I'd just weld in or rivet in a sheet of aluminum over the t-top gaps.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I heard rumors that you can have are restraints and just not hook them up. I mean, if you think you're competent enough (in emergency situations) not to stick your arms up out the roof in the event of a crash/rollover. I'm a bit of a daredevil myself so if I had a convertible/open roof car, me thinks that's what I would do. Of course...

Lemons staff checks them on your way out to the track. I suppose that you could undo them once you roll past the check, but if you made it back into judging following a black flag and the judges saw that you'd been driving with them undone, I suspect you would lose your wristband for the weekend (if not longer) and your team would suffer a severe and lengthy penalty even after they threw you under the bus. YMMV.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

sheet metal is going back in.
Thanks for the replies

nut_job_jeff wrote:

I heard rumors that you can have are restraints and just not hook them up. I mean, if you think you're competent enough (in emergency situations) not to stick your arms up out the roof in the event of a crash/rollover. I'm a bit of a daredevil myself so if I had a convertible/open roof car, me thinks that's what I would do. Of course...

In a roll over there is no way you can control your arms. Sorry Newton's laws win on this one. I see no reason not use them in an open car.

JD1969 wrote:

In a roll over there is no way you can control your arms. Sorry Newton's laws win on this one. I see no reason not use them in an open car.

When you said that, I envisioned Kermit The Frog doing his Muppet Show introduction with his arms all askew and flying in the air. You mean that kind of body control?

Mulry wrote:
JD1969 wrote:

When you said that, I envisioned Kermit The Frog doing his Muppet Show introduction with his arms all askew and flying in the air. You mean that kind of body control?

Exactly!! I had the same image in my mind....get out of my head.

"And now ladies and gentlemen, John Denver! Yeeeeaaaaaa!!!!"

JD1969 wrote:
nut_job_jeff wrote:

While I have never been in a roll over, I have seen many videos of guys holding onto either the wheel, or their chest straps for the duration of a crash.  I have however driven formula cars without arm restraints, and felt more comfortable than being in a production car with window nets.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Been on my lid a couple of times, once end over end. Couldn't hold my hands on the wheel either time. The mandated window nets are IMO a menace. the side over roll had a fire and I was out the passenger window (and into traffic) so fast I ripped the seat out of my suit. I doubt I would have fumbled for the latch anyway because instinct, mine at least, said get the hell out through the first opening I saw. Please, no window nets!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

14 (edited by JD1969 2010-08-31 09:49 PM)

Window nets are optional in Lemons as far as I can tell and I personally don't care for them. I had one in a drag car and I never liked and felt it hung up on me a few times (in non-emergency situations) . As for arm restraints, we have a convertible, I will choose to use mine. What others do is up to them.

Been over in a car w/o a roll cage. interesting experience.
Programming from years of racing ~and thinking through all possibilities~ made for a less than awful outcome, only a dislocation or two and a helluva whiplash two years later.

~that said, it was a hard-top and I am alive to say it would have been messy for the cleanup crew w/o the steel over my head.

Doors opened on wheels-down landing with extra foot-power, there was still glass, in a few places, but there wasn't a place left to have crawled out if that was needed - Roll Cages are a good thing.

...on the exam of left-overs, I'd have to say window nets are a plus or minus - this rollover would not have used them ~ and the hardware would still have been accessible even with the massive deformation a no-cage car took if it had been installed like recommended (with a seatbelt snap on one end) - just one more thing to shed on the way out...

~also, hands low on the wheel, cradled and open rib cage, head down, eyes closed, feet high on pedals and about squat-pressure in legs, I flipped "'bout eight" times with an endo... Arm restraints would have not made any difference, I Still would have scragged the CS and rotator cuff when the B-pillar came to get me.
- BUT, if I'd endoed and then flipped, (shown in a few vids of other mini's doing acrobatics) the doors rip off - and THEN I would have liked to have had arm restraints...

For this cage and this car I like no net and left arm-restraint.

I think it comes down to carefully analyzing your cage/seat/car and choosing what is most EFFECTIVE for the racing purpose (in this case Lemons) you are involved in.

Minor hi-jack. We made our roll cage slightly taller than the roof of the car (tall driver/seat mounts). I was wondering if I could weld the roof back on at the A-pillar, and than just weld it to the main hoop and cut the rest off? Will this be looked down upon?

Rednektified Racing - Team Captain
#101 Moby Slick
2010: Yee-Haw "Most horrible yank tank" (DNF)

"hijack" I've seen cars like that at SCCA races... but it was a long time ago I see no reason you can't it's Lemons Hoopty and sure to get comments.
~that said, just don't screw up and way over heat the welds and ruin the integrity of the main hoop.
... and if in doubt, use conduit clamps and bolt it to the hoop instead of weld.

T-Money645 wrote:

Minor hi-jack. We made our roll cage slightly taller than the roof of the car (tall driver/seat mounts). I was wondering if I could weld the roof back on at the A-pillar, and than just weld it to the main hoop and cut the rest off? Will this be looked down upon?

I think that's basically what the Eyesore guys have done on their Miata. Except I think they used the hood as their "roof." Might want to surf around for some photos of their car to see if that's actually the case.

crazymike- thanks for that story.. amazing!